PDA

View Full Version : I should have changed the tire.

Mark Stutz
03-22-2015, 12:15 AM
I have been away from woodworking for way too long after moving in 2008. I finally got time and got a shop set up and can finally start on some projects for real. I had used my bandsaw for some rough cuts in pine last fall and heard a terriblr racket. The upper tire had come off and been chewed up. Now this tire wasmorethan 10 years old, and had sat unused for a few. I put on a urethane tire, but tge bottom one seemed sound and tight so I left it.

I've been working on a cradle for my new grandson, and have been using it to resaw 8/4 cherry and do the curved cuts for tge ends without problems. I wanted to resaw some stock for the half inch bottom. I hate wasting over a quarter inch by planing it down, even if it only cost me 50 cents a bf. I changed to a resaw blade, and checked the table but ut wasn' square when I put it back on. Took it off and did it over but no different. Ifanally opened the lower door and found

The tire seems fine but is just stretched. I knew I should have changed both at the same time. Looks like my planer will be getting a little more work. I was spoiled in the past when I could get to Woodcraft in 20 minutes. Now it's either a 6 hour round trip or mail order. Not the end of the world, but enough to make me quit for the night.

Peter Quinn
03-22-2015, 8:09 AM
Wow, thats the weirdest thing I've seen. Ive seen them wear out, melt, dry up and start to crack, but Ive never seen one just fall off. Yup, new tire is certainly in order!

Howard Acheson
03-22-2015, 2:42 PM
What you have will frequently happen. Is the tire one that was originally supplied with the saw? I have seen a number of problems with Jet OEM tires.

A rule of thumb I always follow is to always change both tires. The bottom tire is always the first one to go as it is the "drive" tire. Don't be cheap, change them both.

Mark Stutz
03-22-2015, 5:06 PM
Yes, it's the original tire. I still can't believe it just came off without the blade shredding it or damaging the blade which looks OK.

I knew I should have listened to that little voice that said "Change both tires!"