PDA

View Full Version : CorelDraw question

Graham Taylor
03-21-2015, 1:00 PM
Is there a way to automatically make the lines on the attached diamond design all the same thickness so that each one runs paralel to the one next to it (hopefully that makes sense).

At the moment I am doing it manually using the shape tool and then clicking on a node ad moving it using the up/down/left/right arrows on the keyboard but this is both time consuming and not very accurate.

Any help greatfully received as always

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-21-2015, 1:08 PM
In order for most people to view the file, you will need to save it in ver 9 or 12.

Graham Taylor
03-21-2015, 1:16 PM
In order for most people to view the file, you will need to save it in ver 9 or 12.

Re-saved as V12 - thanks for taking the time to respond and let me know the best format so people can help me

Bert Kemp
03-21-2015, 2:18 PM
I don't know what thickness you want but if you select th whole thing then clic arrange then hairline that will change them to hairline.Then clic on outline pen and choose your thickness

Graham Taylor
03-21-2015, 2:38 PM
Sorry guys but I don't think I have explained myself correctly so here goes:

It is a stencil so i need to make the gap between the shapes the same so that when it is cut out the gap is uniform - say 2mm gap between the triangle shapes. This means that the remaining stencil joining lines would all be 2mm.

i am not in front of a PC with CorelDraw at the moment to try and redraw it to highlight what I mean so it makes more sense.

Thanks for taking the time to help and bearing with me

Gary Hair
03-21-2015, 4:39 PM
I would use smart fill and 2mm wide lines to recreate it. Pretty hard to explain in writing but it would be very easy to show you - if you were in Oregon or I were in the UK that is... Are you familiar with smart fill?

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-21-2015, 7:13 PM
Gary is on the right track. I would create a solid "outside" shape of the diamond. Then using the Bezier Tool, I would make lines X thick inside the diamond. (select desired outline thickness for X) Once you create the lines, then convert the lines to Objects. Then use Smart Fill in each polygon shaped area. Extract the smart filled objects and there you go. Look on page 2 of your file to see each phase.

Scott Shepherd
03-21-2015, 7:51 PM
I agree with Mike and Gary. That's exactly how I'd do it. It wouldn't take but 10 minutes or so, if that.

Graham Taylor
03-24-2015, 3:23 AM
Mike et al,

Thanks so much for the help and the file - it looks exactly like I need.

You dont want to know thw frustration I was going through to get it as good as possible and then it takes you guys 10 mins to do it so the output looks so much better :D :D :D :D

I know I have a lot to learn but with help like this I think I will get there a lot faster - going to try it myself later to see how long it takes me using that method :D

Gary is on the right track. I would create a solid "outside" shape of the diamond. Then using the Bezier Tool, I would make lines X thick inside the diamond. (select desired outline thickness for X) Once you create the lines, then convert the lines to Objects. Then use Smart Fill in each polygon shaped area. Extract the smart filled objects and there you go. Look on page 2 of your file to see each phase.

Henri Sallinen
03-24-2015, 5:23 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/znzxu1as2qx0vv5/diamond_1_V12_newlines_strokewidth_2mm.cdr?dl=0

Here's how I would do it step by step. Download the file from my Dropbox and test it out.

I drew the outline of the diamond and drew hairlines along the desired lines. Then I added stroke width of 2mm, made a object of the strokes, welded the object together and trimmed the outline of the diamond with the object made from the welded strokes.

Hope this helps a bit!

Graham Taylor
03-24-2015, 5:43 AM
Hi Henri,

Thanks for that - another method (of which it is good to have many of) to try later

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znzxu1as2qx0vv5/diamond_1_V12_newlines_strokewidth_2mm.cdr?dl=0

Here's how I would do it step by step. Download the file from my Dropbox and test it out.

I drew the outline of the diamond and drew hairlines along the desired lines. Then I added stroke width of 2mm, made a object of the strokes, welded the object together and trimmed the outline of the diamond with the object made from the welded strokes.

Hope this helps a bit!