PDA

View Full Version : Infill Plane.........small....

Jebediah Eckert
03-21-2015, 10:59 AM
I have had this for probably 20 years. I think I got it at a tag sale but don't exactly remember. I have always had it on top of a window and always admired it. I have looked off and on to find any information on it with no luck. I haven't been able to find another like it. There are no markings that I can find. I know about the instrument maker's planes but this one just seems different. If it were to use the tote design seems unnecessary as you would just grab the body of the plane?

Anyone have any information on it or even any guesses?

It is very well made and weighs 6.5 ounces. The blade has been sharpened and there are dents on the top of the blade like it was adjusted with a small hammer?

And yes it is the second day of Spring, and yes it's still snowing!

Thanks

Jim Belair
03-21-2015, 1:44 PM
Cool little plane. I suspect it might it have been a salesman's sample.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-21-2015, 2:06 PM
I love that plane! The tote seems a bit small even to scale. I realize it's a small plane-but I am saying if you were to enlarge it the tote still appears very narrow. Anyway, I'd love to have it. It would make a nice plane for trimming 1/4" wood strips for kayak building. I am usually quick to refute the "salesman's sample" theory on something like this, as I would think a salesman would show you the actual plane and let you use it. Perhaps this was more of just a novelty thing like the Veritas miniature tools they are selling. Who knows- in 200 years someone may be on the 3D Virtualnet (which replaced the internet in the year 2050) asking, "Hey, anyone ever seen one of these tiny shoulder planes?"

Maybe not a salesman's sample, but rather a gift a salesman or dealer might give if someone spent a lot of money, or a gift the company might give to the dealer himself?

Jebediah Eckert
03-21-2015, 8:19 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking salesman sample but Malcoms's point is probably correct? How much harder would it be to lug the full size one out. Unless it was dropped the dings on the back of the blade almost look like it could have been tapped wih a hammer? It is definitely very well made for whatever it's purpose was.

I guess I was hoping for an exact answer but I guess the quest continues. In the meantime I will admire it every time I look out the window.

george wilson
03-22-2015, 9:38 AM
The plane is a user made plane,not a salesman's sample. It is too crude to be a sample,and the handle is too small. Maybe a cabinet maker with girly hands? :)

george wilson
03-22-2015, 9:40 AM
I think it is possibly a commercial casting with a badly made replacement tote. Not a salesman's sample.

Jebediah Eckert
03-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks George, I was hoping you would chime in. My pictures aren't the best for sure and the tote does look a bit "goofy" in the picture but it really isn't in person. I tried to take a few pictures that may show the tote better. In person I don't think it looks like it has been replaced. I for sure don't own any infill planes and it's hard for me to compare to Internet pictures. I looked close again and definitely no markings of any kind.

In your hand it feels quality and hefty, better then some of the full size planes I have. I put an engineers square across the bottom and it is dead flat, the sides toe in maybe a degree or so but both sides are equal to each other. I know a standard bench plane should be 90 to use on its side, not sure on this style.

Maybe it's just a small one somebody made for themselves for whatever reason?

I like it regardless. Maybe I should have asked at the yard sale where it came from, but I would probably have forgotten by now anyhow.

Jim Koepke
03-22-2015, 12:51 PM
The plane is a user made plane,not a salesman's sample. It is too crude to be a sample,and the handle is too small. Maybe a cabinet maker with girly hands? :)

Maybe a cabinet maker with a young son or daughter they wanted to get involved in the art?

jtk