PDA

View Full Version : DC-380 Chain and Sprocket Noise

Dimitrios Fradelakis
03-21-2015, 10:07 AM
I upgraded to a Byrd Shelix head in my DC-380 last night. I put brand new bearings on both ends of the cutter head since I had everything apart anyway. Now when I turned the machine on a slightly loud grinding noise (my opinion) was coming from the gear box side of the machine. When I would switch gears the noise subsided a small amount but it was still there. I watched a video on Youtube and noticed that the outside chain was on the left pulley and not the right. Can this be the reason I am having this issue? Also I am starting to wonder if the sprocket or sprockets might be on backwards. I tried looking for a parts diagram for this part of the machine but no luck. I have included a video below to help in hopefully resolving this issue.

https://vimeo.com/122835911

Steve Rozmiarek
03-21-2015, 10:40 AM
The noise is coming from the belts, correct? They look to be flopping more than they should, and squeaking. No load situation shouldn't cause slippage, so it could be the belts are wore and are climbing up the pulley sides incorrectly. Does it sound different under load?

Dimitrios Fradelakis
03-21-2015, 11:12 AM
The noise is coming from the belts, correct? They look to be flopping more than they should, and squeaking. No load situation shouldn't cause slippage, so it could be the belts are wore and are climbing up the pulley sides incorrectly. Does it sound different under load?

The belt video is older and the culprit was in fact the belts. They have since been replaced and that particular issue has gone away.

Another question: When feeding a board after it clears the cutter head and is almost clear if the out feed roller a clunk sound is heard. It's as if the out feed roller is under pressure and once the wood is clear it sets back in to place.