PDA

View Full Version : Jig saw questions and comments.

James Ayars
08-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Two years ago, I bought a Black and Decker js600k jig saw as that's what I thought I could afford. I can honestly say that I despise the thing. It will not cut a straight line even when I use a fence.

So today I went to Lowes and bought a Bosch 1587AVSP. The difference between those two saws in incredible! My question is this: Is there usually that much difference between two tools like this? I know Bosch is supposed to be top of the line but I had no idea there would be that much of a difference in all around performance.

Thanks to all for such a great forum. I've been lurking for about a month and decided to finally come out of the shadows.

Dennis McDonaugh
08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Yup James, quality tools feel and work better than their cheaper cousins. Last longer too.

Richard Wolf
08-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Yes, you must get past entry level tools before you can do the kind of work that you expect tools to do. At some point you maybe overbuying quality and bells and whistles, but professional tools never disappoint.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
08-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Yup, it took me 15 years to learn the same, some cheaper tools were fine others.......not so great. I think the Jig saw is one tool where cheap is bad. Routers you can make do, table saws you can make do ..... Jig saw, go for a Bosch for sure.

Corey

Keith Foster
08-02-2005, 11:26 PM
No doubt - buy it once and forget it. Much better to have a tool you can enjoy using! I learned my lesson buying a HF 10" Sliding Compound Miter Saw - lasted all of one day! :mad:

After that it was a no brainer to go the quality route. The day the HF SCMS broke I went out and bought a DeWalt 12" CMS. The difference was like night and day. I have A LOT of yellow in the tool bin now. Might add, I went with the DeWalt Jig Saw and it was ok out of the box - but JUST ok. I wasn't sure if it was me or the saw, but it didn't cut as good as I thought it should. At any rate, I needed a longer blade and the BORG was out of DeWalt in the size I needed so I picked up a Bosch blade. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE THAT BLADE MADE! :eek: The jig cuts much much better with the Bosch blade.

Dale Rodabaugh
08-03-2005, 6:04 AM
Yes Sir.I did the same thing,had an old B&D which was pure junk.Bought the Bosch,and man what a difference.

Jim Becker
08-03-2005, 9:03 AM
I know where you are coming from...my first one was also a B&D (a green one) and it was the pits. When I upgraded about a year ago, it came down to the Festool and the Bosch. At that time, the new Bosch with the blade guides had not been introduced, so I went Festool, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the current Bosch to anyone who was looking for a quality tool at its price point.

Larry Browning
08-03-2005, 9:32 AM
I also had a B&D jig saw, infact I have owned several of them. My thinking was that I didn't use a jig saw all that often, so I was having a hard time justifying the $139 vs the $27. I then found the Grizzly jig saw for $59. So I thought maybe it would be better than the B&D for just a little more. I am pretty pleased with the grizz. My only complaint is with changing the blade. You have to use a long skinny screwdriver to loosen a set screw to remove the blade. This can be a real pain, especially if you have to hunt down the screwdriver or loose the set screw(which I have done both). But otherwise I really like it. It seems to have plenty of power and cuts fairly smooth with a Bosch blade. Of course I have never used the Bosch, so I cannot comment. But, for someone who only uses a jig saw ever now and then, I think the Grizzly is a good choice.

Larry Norton
08-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Don't know about your area Homey, but here they have a Bosch jigsaw for $139 and the Bosch quarter sheet sander comes with it free.

I have a 15 year old Porter Cable jig sawthat keeps going and going and going....

Theonly "cheap" tool I ever bought that was any good was my old Ryobi Osolating spindle sander. I used it every day for probably 12 years and now a friend has it. I replaced it recently with a Delta B.O.S.S.

James Ayars
08-03-2005, 2:09 PM
Many thanks for all the responses. The Bosch saw is A+ but the blade change I don't like. Lift part of the handle, turn counter clockwise 3 times, insert blade 90 degrees to cut line, on and on.

First time I put on in last night it worked fine. The subsequent times, the "clicks" the manuel said I should hear did not happen. I'll play with it a couple more times today. If I still can't get the blade change to work, I may exchange it for the other Bosch model with a different blade change.

Since I just joined the forum, I started reading posts back on page 25 and have been working my way to the front. I'm up to page 19 now. So much great information here.
James

Frank Hagan
08-03-2005, 3:22 PM
I also had problems with the blade change handle thingy on top ... you have to make sure you are pulling it up far enough to engage the knob under the handle. Pull up hard, then turn and you'll hear the clicks.

Bob Noles
08-03-2005, 3:28 PM
James,

Reading your post sonds like I wrote it :eek:

Exact same thing happened to me. My B&D RIP at the city dump. :D

I love my Bosch!

Barry Beech
08-03-2005, 3:31 PM
I had a Dewalt and didn't like the way it cut. Sat. I got the bosch and am really pleased with it.

On you blade question, maybe elementary but check that you have the correct blade. On mine (1590EVSK) it will only take a T-shank blade.
Barry

Jerry Olexa
08-03-2005, 3:33 PM
Jim my experience was very similiar to yours!! The new Bosch was light years ahead of the assorted cheapie jigsaws I used and discarded over the years/ There is a HUGE increase in quality of performance....Enjoy it!!

Andrew Ault
08-03-2005, 3:47 PM
I thought my old Craftsman saw was the cat's meow because it had a knob on top that you could unlock and use to turn the blade. And it was a CRAFTSMAN and gosh, that was good, right? Well, I always had trouble getting a good cut with it and I figured that was due to the type of tool.

Then, several years ago, I bought a Bosch because I used my friend's and it was NICE. Since then, it's been good cuttin' every time...boy I like using a good quality tool and good blade - makes a big difference to me.

I like the new Bosch saw with the blade guide and easy blade change. But, I guess it'll be a long time before I wear mine out. Besides, mine's got a little of everything I've ever done with it on it and I like that. And heck, it was my first bandsaw. :)

-Andy

JayStPeter
08-03-2005, 4:07 PM
I thought my old Craftsman saw was the cat's meow because it had a knob on top that you could unlock and use to turn the blade. And it was a CRAFTSMAN and gosh, that was good, right? Well, I always had trouble getting a good cut with it and I figured that was due to the type of tool.

I had that saw too. It mysteriously hit a brick wall after taking a chunk out of a project. I like the replacement Bosch much better too.

Jay

Andrew Ault
08-03-2005, 4:18 PM
Jay,

I don't remember what happened to my old one. I probably sold it at a garage sale or something. Looking back, that was probably mean of me, "Yeah, this is the DELUXE model with the KNOBBY THING on top. How 'bout five for it?"

A couple of weeks ago I trashcanned a few old clamps that I've always hated. I cut them in half first to make sure they were gone from this world. Man. those were some awful clamps.

-Andy

James Ayars
08-03-2005, 8:34 PM
I did check the blades as Barry suggested and they are T shanks as that is what my B&D took also. I tried the blade change on the Bosch a couple more times and just decided that if I was going to spend $150 I was going to get something I was happy with.

I took the 1587 back today and got the 1590EVSK. The blade change is so simple! I wonder why they don't use it on the 1587?

I would like to burn the B&D but I think I'll keep it to be my "loaner" saw. Nobody ever asks to borrow my tools, but just in case.:)

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2005, 8:42 PM
Yeah, the blade change is awesome and the blade ejection is even cooler. VEry nice engineering. And those little arms that hold the blade... genius!

Corey

Ron Jones near Indy
08-03-2005, 9:32 PM
I went from a low end Craftsman to Bosch. Much like going from a Yugo to a Corvette. :)