PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a design file

Wayne Grecco
03-20-2015, 6:49 PM
Hello all.....

was hoping one of you experts can help me out... I have a customer that I need to do some work for and they are providing me their logo. They gave it to me in PDF, TIFF, JPG, PNG and PSD formats.. I tried to import all of these into Corel so I can use the file and make modifications but it is not working. I always thought if you imported a PDF file, that it came into Corel just like it was a vector file, so obviously I am wrong! How do I go about taking this file and making it into an editable file (like a vector file) without loosing any details?

I will attach the PDF file for reference but if someone that can help me needs to see one of the other file types please just let me know.

Thanks for all your help...You guys (and gals) are always great!

Wayne

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-20-2015, 7:17 PM
They saved it as a bitmap and not as a vector. Ask if they can save it as an AI or EPS file.

Ron Gosnell
03-20-2015, 7:36 PM
The image is a png file, but it is a bitmap image.

Art Mann
03-20-2015, 7:44 PM
That file is not in any way a vector file. If you zoom in on it far enough, it becomes pixelated. Vector files won't do that. You need to do a raster to vector conversion. I use an automatic feature in Vcarve Pro, a CNC router design program, to do such things. Later editions of Corel will have that functionality as well.

Mike Null
03-21-2015, 8:48 AM
Mike has offered good advice--ask for a vector file. If that's not doable I'd farm it out to somebody who converts images. it's so complex that I doubt you can get sufficient detail with a trace.

I happen to be converting a police badge at the moment but much simpler in design than yours. I used trace in X5 then manipulated nodes etc.

Don Corbeil
03-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Wayne, as mentioned best results will be with acquiring a vector file from them. I went ahead and ran the file through VM and exported to Corel, but you can see that there is a lot of banding in the result due to the many gradients in the image. You may not be able to work with it but here it is anyway:

Mike has offered good advice--ask for a vector file. If that's not doable I'd farm it out to somebody who converts images. it's so complex that I doubt you can get sufficient detail with a trace.

I happen to be converting a police badge at the moment but much simpler in design than yours. I used trace in X5 then manipulated nodes etc.

Wayne Grecco
03-22-2015, 8:18 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I did ask them for a vector file and that is what they provided me. I think I will farm it out to a designer to redraw. But again thanks! And thanks Don for giving it a shot... I appreciate it!