PDA

View Full Version : Blum MINI Euro Hinges

Mark Clemmens
03-20-2015, 4:24 PM
I have a project that I'm working on, it's a buffet/sideboard that I designed in such a way that the door rails and only 1.5" (3/4" thick) as opposed to the standard 2-2.25" wide rail/stile. I was planning on changing the design slightly to make the rails 2" wide so that I can use euro/cup hinges, when I discovered that Blum makes "mini" euro hinges. They use a 26mm hole as opposed to the usual 35mm.

Here is the link: http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/cabinet-hinges/blum-european-hinges-grass-european-hinges/standard-european-style-hinges/blum-mini-hinges-26mm

I will be using both inset and full overlay hinges in my application. I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from anybody who has used these mini hinges. Are there any downsides that you have discovered? Use, longevity, installation, quality, etc. Thanks a bunch.

-Mark

Tom Ewell
03-20-2015, 10:20 PM
I used them on a few small doors (10x30) for a medicine cabinet, went with 1-5/8" stiles to accommodate glue-chip glass in the 3/8 groove, 1-1/2 would have probably worked, just wanted to make 'sure' the glass was safe from subsequent cup boring and screw holes.

They install and act like blum hinges, quality is typical of their non blumotion type.

The whole unit is smaller than the std size hinges so you might refer to any door weight specs if your doors are larger ones, they easily handle my little doors.

They've been used regularly for five years or so in a bathroom and are 'good as new'.

Mark Clemmens
03-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the response Tom. My doors will be about 15 x 28 with raised panels, so hopefully the weight wont be an issue; ill have to check the chart if I can find it. The only real downside I see is that I can only seem to find them with 94 degree opening. Would be ideal if I could get 110.

Tom Ewell
03-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Can't help with the degree opening, might be stuck with the 94 with the minis.

All the charts I've found for weight pretty much states that 15lbs and under can be handled with two hinges per but couldn't find specifics for the minis.

Just to give you an idea, we have an Ikea unit with 15x76 glass paneled doors that use only 3 (non blum) mini hinges per side.