PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar Disorder

Tyler Howell
08-02-2005, 9:35 PM
Bipolar Disorder:o
As I walk the fence trying to decide which side to fall on, I keep buying and collecting toyls (both corded and Neander) hoping for the time and inspiration to make more wood chips.

A few acquisitions are this Bailey # 8 and an unknown woody with no time on the meter at all. Found both during some river town antiquing over the past few months.
I'm sure most of you recognize the beautiful yet functional treasures from Chester Tool Works. The bow saw and plane hammer have been very useful.
Lastly the DJ 20 was delivered to the shop today by pros. Parts of it have been around for about 3-4 weeks while Amazon decided they had only sent me the base:mad: .
A little frustrating, a complete system finally arrived last Friday and they hauled the lonely base away, taking a total of eight weeks from order to my shop.
A happy soul, I'll give a more detailed report later.:cool:

Mark Singer
08-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Tyler, A great choice! You will love it!

Karl Laustrup
08-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Tyler, you have more patience than I would have shown.

Glad you finally got it and hope it gives you many flat boards. :D

Karl

Michael Gabbay
08-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Tyler -

Congrats on the DJ20! I never have much luck with Amazon's shipping. It seems that when they say 1 -2 weeks it turns out to 1 - 2 months! :(

The bipolar thing is good. Choose the right tool for the job, not just the right electron burner. It's nice to work wood by hand. It gives me a better appreciation of what woodworking is all about. Ok enough philosophy, go joint some boards with that DJ20! :D

Mike

Dick Parr
08-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Congrats Tyler, the shop must be about full by now. Glad to see you are still getting corded tools. ;)

John Miliunas
08-02-2005, 11:17 PM
So, Tyler my friend, going "both ways" now, huh? (Bwaaaa, ha, ha, haaaaa!:D ) Hey, sorry...Couldn't resist! Congrats on all! That DJ20 is a hard act to follow and I'm sure you'll simply love it. Glad they finally got everything straight for you! A bit of advice, though: It won't be quite as easy to use on the WW bench as those other tools you have there! I finally decided to plug mine in and man, did that make a difference!:D Great stuff from Dave there, as well! What are you using the bow saw for primarily? Been thinking about one of them, but just haven't quite gotten that far yet. Anyhow, enjoy all the new toyls and let's see some product coming forth from them!:D :cool:

Jim Becker
08-03-2005, 9:07 AM
Well, no question that you're setup for jointing in any situation!! Congrats on the new aquisitions. One of these days I'm going to pick up one of those "long planes" and learn how to use it as I have a bunch of slabs that will make nice furniture.

Jeff Sudmeier
08-03-2005, 9:34 AM
Great looking gloat Tyler! You will love the DJ20, it sure changed the way I worked!

Lee DeRaud
08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
The bipolar thing is good. Choose the right tool for the job, not just the right electron burner.Or, as some of us like to phrase it, "Choose the right tool for the job, not just the first lump of inert metal that finds its way into your hand." :D :cool:

Steve Beadle
08-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I also recently picked up a Stanley #8, but I haven't finished the fettling process. I have been trying to flatten the sole, but it's proving to be quite a chore! I still have about 2 thou to go. I hope yours is flatter to begin with!

James Carmichael
08-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Well, I guess there's some Neander in all of us, Tyler.

Either way, you are sure set to do some jointing:-)

Steve,

Flattening the sole on a #8 :eek: You are a galoot's galoot.

Tim Leo
08-03-2005, 7:14 PM
Did you buy the DJ-20 so you can have some flat iron to use when you flatten the #8?

Bruce Haugen
08-04-2005, 2:53 AM
for the affliction you describe: neanderdabbler, one who has his/her feet firmly planted on both sides of the shop. As Michael Gabbay says, pick the right tool for the job and don't get hung up with purism of any sort. I have equal numbers of electron burners and hand tools.

Bruce

Tyler Howell
08-04-2005, 1:51 PM
Thank Guys,

Real happy with the toyls so far.
Amazon realy turned my crank but no point getting upset.:mad:

John, I used the bow saw to cope and back cut some crown molding. The added weight took a little getting use to, but turned out to be an advantage with the added momentum. I thought you were suppose to just drag boards over the DJ20 and rotate to a new blade when that one got dull:confused:
Dick, The shop is full. Going to have to do some WW now.:o .
Take care and thanks again.:cool:

Dan Forman
08-04-2005, 4:23 PM
[QUOTE=Tyler Howell]Thank Guys, I thought you were suppose to just drag boards over the DJ20 and rotate to a new blade when that one got dull:confused:

You mean that's not how you do it? Well, that sure clears up a lot of things around here. :D

Glad to hear you have gotten things straightened out. I was wondering why no jointer gloats had been forthcoming. I'm sure you will enjoy the new additions to your shop.

Dan

Bart Leetch
08-04-2005, 6:53 PM
[QUOTE=Dan Forman
Glad to hear you have gotten things straightened out.
Dan[/QUOTE]

Hmm I wonder if he has really gotten things straightened out or if his shop is still a mess??? :eek: :D

Steve Clardy
08-09-2005, 11:31 AM
I don't see a place for the cord on the smaller jointer Tyler.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Cheer up, good friend. In time you will make the decision and be happy with it. Playing with that new jointer will help a little. I'll bet that eventually you will decide that each position has benefits and use both machine and hand tools like the rest of us. There will be times when you just want the peace, quiet and relaxation that hand tools bring, but at other times you will enjoy the speed, and convenience power tools allow. Either way you will create beautiful things from wood.