PDA

View Full Version : Help on an old Rockwell Invicta 24" planer.

Joe Hay
03-20-2015, 3:26 PM
Hello from Western Oklahoma. I was fortunate enough to acquire a Rockwell Invicta 24" planer recently, This appears to be the same planer as the Delta RC 63D model. The machine is complete except for the Knife setting gauge that came with it originally. These seem to be impossible to find online. Does anyone know where I might find one to purchase? Thank you for any and all consideration.

Joe

Morey St. Denis
03-20-2015, 4:32 PM
Greetings Joe,

We've got the same model, a Delta Invicta RC-63D very recently acquired from a local middle school that has seen fit to cease instruction of all DIY vocational or industrial art skills... Built in Brazil, our's is dated Jan 1992 with a 'Weg' 10 HP, 3 phase 208 VAC motor, now awaiting the quote and potential installation of utility 3 phase power for a new industrial building including woodworking shop. I've got Delta's original user's manual documentation, there's a lot of useful detail on set-up and adjustment, including many photos but not, as I recall, any reference to a particular knife setting gauge... What about a standard machinist's dial run-out or digital height indicator gauge (resolving to .0001"), perhaps with the magnetic base? Let me know if you'd like to exchange copies of the original Delta / Rockwell user's manual. If you haven't already noticed, all threading and fasteners appear to be metric standard, due to its manufacture in Brazil. I'm in N. Brunswick, New Jersey. Out of curiosity, what is the date and build number of your's?

Morey

Joe Hay
03-20-2015, 7:28 PM
The date of manufacture on my is 1982. It also came from a school shop about 10 years ago. The man that bought it from the school paid $50.00 with a sealed bid. It has a 7 1/2hp 240v three phase motor. I downloaded a manual online for the Delta RC 63D and the machine appears identical with the exception of the power table.(mine is manual)

Morey St. Denis
03-20-2015, 9:22 PM
You certainly get to claim bragging rights with that price paid! Thought we got a very good deal at $2,850. Made two grand just by driving away with it in the trailer! If in good operating condition, even the model D still resells in the range of $5-6K at auction. That must be some big, finely pitched, hand crank for manual height adjustment! There's several hundred pounds of mass in that 24" cutterhead, anti-kickback and chip breaker assembly. Do you have 3 phase power readily available, or are you using a massive 15-20 HP rotary 3 phase converter? Keep me in mind in case you ever happen to learn of a used Newman/Whitney helical carbide cutterhead coming available anywhere. Quick drop-in upgrade to the model 'N'... Else we'll eventually need to double that initial investment with the Byrd Shelix cutterhead refit.

Joe Hay
03-21-2015, 12:08 AM
I have 240V 3Phase at my shop. I live in a very small town (800 pop) in western Oklahoma, I built my shop last summer and basically just called the power company and asked for 3 phase. They added a new transformer and boom I had 240v 3phase. Delta not wye though. 2 legs at 110 volts and 1 leg at 208 volts. That was perfect for me as most of the 3 ph machines here are 240. All I had to do was run the conduit from the pole to my service entrance on the shop. Otherwise "no charge"

Joe Hay
03-21-2015, 12:11 AM
Yes it does have a fine thread, large hand crank on the left side of the machine. The cutterhead does not move, the table raises to it.

Joe

Kevin Jenness
03-21-2015, 4:18 AM
If you can find out the recommended knife projection you should be able to fabricate a gauge fairly easily. Have you tried posting over at www.owwm.org?

Erik Manchester
03-21-2015, 5:38 AM
Joe,

That was a great deal on a great planer, I have a Delta Invicta DJ20 jointer and the Brazilian-made Invicta machines are well built. I would have been happy to get a planer like yours but found a 24" Wadkin Bursgreen T630 for $500 that I am cleaning up.

I am especially envious of your 3 phase power hookup at no charge (lol) as I have a 15 HP rotary phase converter and a transformer to get 600v which is the industrial standard in Canada. I have three phase going past on the highway but to get it hooked up would require over 500' of line and a demand meter that would be way over the top for a hobby woodshop.

I was lucky as mine came with the knife setting jig so blade replacements go quick. Good luck with your search.

Joe Hay
03-22-2015, 3:22 AM
Kevin,

You have hit the nail on the head, in the Delta manual that I downloaded there are complete set-up instructions....EXCEPT.... knife projection. Apparently every machine came with a setting gauge and that is the only reference made to setting the knives. I know that I can level the knives with a dial indicator, but how much projection?

The planer has been stored in a farm shed for the last 10 years, so when I got it I started cleaning, lubricating, checking the wiring etc. and like a dummy I pulled the blades without checking the projection. That's not the dumbest thing that I've done with this planer though, I planed my wrist to the point that I've got my second appointment with a wound care Dr. next week. Thankfully no skin graft required.....yet......I was going to enter the Idiot of the month competition but decided it would be unfair to the other contestants.

Kevin Jenness
03-22-2015, 4:08 AM
Perhaps Morey would check the knife height on his unit for you.