PDA

View Full Version : cutting hole in bandsaw for DC

roger wiegand
03-20-2015, 1:33 PM
Is there an easier/neater way than using a jigsaw to cut a 4" hole in the bottom door of my Delta 14" band saw to add a dust collector port? My jigsaw cuts in sheet metal usually end up pretty ragged. I've already made a box that fits under the table to try to catch the sawdust as it's generated, but I'm catching at best half.

Peter Aeschliman
03-20-2015, 1:53 PM
I used a dremel with a cut off wheel. If you go slow (take really light cuts - don't try to cut all the way through in one pass) and file and sand the edges, it will turn out great.

Mark Carlson
03-20-2015, 2:42 PM
I use hole saws in a drill to create additional dust ports in my tools.

Chris Padilla
03-20-2015, 3:06 PM
I use hole saws in a drill to create additional dust ports in my tools.

Agree w/Mark. :)

roger wiegand
03-20-2015, 4:17 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot-- I was a little leery about trying to freehand a 4" hole saw in sheet metal, I'll see how it goes. Would you suggest trying to clamp a backer board in place to help keep the saw on track?

Chris Padilla
03-20-2015, 4:58 PM
Roger,

All hole saws I've ever used have a pilot/guide drill bit so you won't be freehanding anything.

Peter Aeschliman
03-20-2015, 6:06 PM
definitely do not attempt to use a hole saw without a centering drill bit!

Also remember that steel is very different than wood. Get yourself some cutting oil and resist putting the pedal to the metal, especially for a 4" hole saw. Cut slowly, especially with a bit that big. Wear eye and ear protection. It should take about about 45 seconds to a minute to cut through.

Chris Padilla
03-20-2015, 6:47 PM
It is called a mandrel. I knew there was an official name for it...just took me a while to remember it. :)

Frank Pratt
03-20-2015, 7:45 PM
Do you have an electrician buddy? A hydraulic knock out cutter will make an OEM looking hole with very little effort.

roger wiegand
03-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Did it with the hole saw. About broke my wrist when the saw broke through at one point and snagged, giving the drill a nasty twist. But got it done with a reasonably neat hole. I certainly know about using a pilot bit, but that doesn't help you maintain even cutting around the circle, hence my comment about cutting freehand. (compared to doing it on a drill press with everything clamped down.)

Bruce Wrenn
03-23-2015, 10:02 PM
Sorry you butchered your saw. My tip in Wood a few years back used a 4" tee placed under table where tiny dust port used to be. Won "Top Tip." The gal who came out to take pictures had to fill out a W-9, and I didn't, which means she got paid more than I did.

roger wiegand
03-24-2015, 8:50 AM
Tiny dust port? This saw came with no accommodation of any kind for dust collection. As I said in the first post, I had already constructed a box with a 3" port that fits under the table around the blade and bottom bearing, but that it catches only about half the dust. The blade carries the rest into the bottom wheel area and beyond. Haven't hooked up both at the same time yet to see how it does now.