PDA

View Full Version : This weeks rough outs

Bob Bergstrom
03-20-2015, 12:34 PM
My supply of dry bowls was getting low and the cut rounds in plastic garbage bags filled the pinic table in the back yard. I got some shop time this week so I turned these. I used my Makita electric chainsaw to trim the half round logs and bandsawed the smaller ones. After years of banging my gouge against the whirling hit and miss of the log I now bevel cut the ends of the log to match the side bark area. Makes turning large half logs much less strenuous. All were sealed with Achor Seal and I will plastic wrap the larger ones ( thanks Reed Gray for that idea). They are off to the garage just in time for the usual Chicago slllooow warming spring. There is cherry, walnut, apple and box elder. Largest is about 19". Still have some big blocks 80# on the Pinnicle table. The 3520 takes a beating but keeps on ticking!!

charlie knighton
03-20-2015, 1:41 PM
looks like a good workout , Bob thanks for sharing

David Delo
03-20-2015, 2:37 PM
Somebody's been busy!!!!! Any of those cores?

Mike Goetzke
03-20-2015, 5:34 PM
Bob - that is some nice figured wood. I'm interested in your comments about how you trim your blanks. Is it possible you could post a picture next time. Also, which Makita model do you have?

Thanks,

Mike

robert baccus
03-20-2015, 9:42 PM
Some really nice looking blanks. Sawing the ends helps a lot. Also I use a HF electric hand planer on odd pieces and knobs.

Bob Bergstrom
03-21-2015, 12:31 AM
309542I core with a McNaughton and also parted some thick blanks into two disks with the straight lance tool in the McNaughton set.
I trimed this 19" blank by bevel cutting the end grain area to match the side grain of the log. Here are some more pics

Tom Brouillette
03-21-2015, 8:36 PM
What is the purpose of leaving some of the piece unsealed? I am new to to turning, and have been experimenting with some maple and oak green lumber. I am all about learning tips and tricks.

daryl moses
03-21-2015, 9:46 PM
What is the purpose of leaving some of the piece unsealed? .
He has sealed the "end grain" that's where most cracks will appear.

Bob Bergstrom
03-21-2015, 10:35 PM
He has sealed the "end grain" that's where most cracks will appear.
They all have been anchor sealed. The wax has dried because they were applied on previous days. I only seal the end grain leaving a gap. The Chicago climate is mild enough that a full seal isn't necessary. If I were drying oak I would seal it and paper bag it, because oak can crack easily. The apple crotch wood was wraped with plastic around the rim and will spend some time in paper. It is too nice to let it crack.