PDA

View Full Version : Another pen question if you don't mind

Ernie Nyvall
08-02-2005, 9:24 PM
Having looked at several pen catalogs, Woodturners, Berea Hardwoods, and PENN STATE, I have a question or two. The first slimline in each is the least expensive. They all three look identical and have 24kt gold plating however Berea is almost twice that of Woodturners and Penn State falls between them. Does the plating method make that difference? If not, what does? Penn State advertises lifetime guarantee on their plating, but then who is actually going to collect on that when it's going to be a third or fourth party who actually wears it off. I can't see plating lasting forever. Woodturners beats price in several categories of pens, but if the plate wears off in a week, I don't want that. In your experience is one better than the other? Any problems with any of them?
I appreciate any answers.

Thanks, Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-02-2005, 10:08 PM
If you're looking for a CHEEP slimline pen, Arizona sells them for 1.55 ea day in and day out. The 24K finish won't hold up long on any of them. If you want a finish that will last longer, go to 10K or better.

Just MHO,

Bruce

RL Johnson
08-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Bruce is right. When I want a coating to holdup for a long period of time, I buy the rodium coating (of course you have to like silver :D ). I have a pen I carry to work everyday for the last two years and the coating looks as good as the day I assembled the pen. Just wished the turning was better :eek: . 24k gold is by nature very soft and without some other alloying elements will not hold up to everyday use, unless the coating become very thick. Then you are talking more money.

Ernie Nyvall
08-02-2005, 10:50 PM
If you're looking for a CHEEP slimline pen, Arizona sells them for 1.55 ea day in and day out. The 24K finish won't hold up long on any of them. If you want a finish that will last longer, go to 10K or better.

Just MHO,

Bruce
Bruce, thanks for your answer and no, I'm not looking for a cheep pen, but do the 24k or 10k vary much from company to company in quality. The ones I was looking at in the 3 catalogs were all 24k, but the price range was big. The only company I saw with a 10k was Woodturners so I couldn't compare with others. What I want to avoid is spending twice as much at one place as the other, if the two are basically the same in the same K.

Ernie

Tom Mullane
08-03-2005, 7:48 AM
I will not use 24K or 10K kits for any pen I sell to a customer...
If you want the plating to last buy TN Gold kits... I have yet to have a TN Gold kit have the plating wear off...
The other option is to go with chrome, black chrome, etc.. but stay away from 24 and 10K if you want the plating to last a long time.

Ed Scolforo
08-03-2005, 8:24 AM
I second what Tom said. You're wasting your time using a gold plating other than titanium. The other stuff will wear off quickly. It's worth the little extra price, especially if you want a satisfied customer in 3 months. I usually buy from Penn State. The Designer and Slimline styles are popular. You can do alot of variations on the Slimline. Yahoo has an excellent forum on penmaking, they can tell you anything you could ever want to know. Enjoy!
Ed

Pat Salter
08-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Being a fairly new turner myself, I'm not sure about the finish from these differant companys. I did have a problem with some pencils from Penn State and when I asked for help with them they just asked for my address. Said they would just replace the mechanical parts for me. Says something for the company in my opinion.

Blake McCully
08-04-2005, 6:27 AM
Ernie,
If you find something from PSI that you like, give Ryan at woodworkingz.com a call. He carries PSI stuff and will beat their prices by a good bit.

Dawn Sunkle
08-04-2005, 2:01 PM
I get mine from Ryan also.. good price, quick shipment and great folks to deal with.

Dawn

John Hart
08-04-2005, 2:24 PM
I have to throw in my two cents on the Titanium. Larry at Berea told me a couple weeks ago that they sell the 24K as an inexpensive learners pen, but if you want the pen to last, move to the Titanium Gold. He said that the 24K plating will still wear off over time, but the titanium gold that lies underneath, is the same color and you can't tell it has worn.

This is not MY experience talking...since I really don't have any.;)

Ernie Nyvall
08-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks everyone, just what I was looking for.

Ernie