PDA

View Full Version : Tree/Wood identification book

Jim Baker
06-01-2003, 10:57 PM
A recent storm which has left several trees damaged/down around our place has sparked my interest in identifying native Illinois trees and potential uses for the resulting lumber. LOML wants to get me a book on the subject for Father's Day, but she wants me to pick it out.

I found an earlier post recommending "Identifying Wood" by R Bruce Headley, but this book appears to come at things from the other end )identifying the species by looking at the wood).

For me, an ideal book would help me identify the species by loking at the tree (leaves, bark, nuts, etc.) and then show a picture of and describe the potential uses and virtues of the resulting lumber. It would only need to describe trees growing in this area. It would be super if rather than for example, grouping all red oaks into one group and all white oaks into another, it would describe each species specifically.

It appears to me that there are several excellent tree references and several good wood references, but I would like to find something that puts it all together.

Any ideas?

Anthony Yakonick
06-01-2003, 11:32 PM
National Audubon Society field guide to North Americian Trees, they have a few depending upon your region. Amazon has them $14.00.
Anthony

Tom Gattiker
06-02-2003, 8:55 AM
...audubon guides. Something even more regional is nice becuase it limits the field even more. The audubon books can be a bit overwhelming.

I would opt for a tree book to ID the species and a wood book for the rest. Just seems to me that tree books are a lot more user friendly for IDing species.

Jim Becker
06-02-2003, 9:03 AM
Originally posted by Anthony Yakonick
National Audubon Society field guide to North Americian Trees, they have a few depending upon your region. Amazon has them $14.00. Anthony

Another vote for the Audubon Field Guide...it's not perfect, but there is no "one" resource that is.

Steve Jenkins
06-03-2003, 6:32 PM
You might try checking with the county extension agent if you can find the office. They are very helpful and usually have a ton of free info. Steve

Jim Baker
06-03-2003, 9:57 PM
Thanks for the input. We will check out both the Audobon Society book and at the county extension office.