PDA

View Full Version : jet 14cs band saw

lawrence munninghoff
03-19-2015, 7:48 PM
Does the jet 14cs band saw have cast iron or aluminum wheels? Is the trunnion cast iron or aluminum? Does it really make a difference as to whether cast iron or aluminum is used? Lastly would you recommend the saw?

Kelly Cleveland
03-19-2015, 9:06 PM
I think this is the model I have, if so it is all aluminum. Usually cast iron wheels are said to minimize vibration, but in my experience the vibration hasn't been bad. I think it is a great saw for the money, but if having cast iron wheels is important you could look at the the grizzly G0555LX which is actually $200 cheaper and gets very good reviews.

lowell holmes
03-20-2015, 12:21 AM
My Jet 14cs band saw has aluminum wheels and trunnion. I didn't realize it until I read this and checked. I've had it for about 10 years. I have the riser block. I don't have a vibration problem.
I'm happy with the saw. I recently put Carter guides on the saw and They are worth the cost.

Bill Huber
03-20-2015, 9:31 AM
I have the 14" Closed Base and it has aluminum wheels and trunnions.

I think it is a great saw, I have not had any problems with it at all and when I see all the problems people have with their saws I am sure glade I have what I have.

Mike Cutler
03-20-2015, 1:23 PM
Mine has aluminum wheels and trunnions.
The 14" Jet is a very good bandsaw. Even after purchasing an 18" bandsaw, I kept my 14" Jet.
They're nice bandsaws and I would definitely recommend one.

lawrence munninghoff
03-20-2015, 8:58 PM
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a good saw, one worth purchasing. I am a little cautious of buying the grizzly GO555lx because of damage in shipping. One other thing, what if any, is the advantage of having the motor located in the cabinet as opposed to being mounted on the side of the saw as the grizzly?

Mike Cutler
03-21-2015, 8:07 AM
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a good saw, one worth purchasing. I am a little cautious of buying the grizzly GO555lx because of damage in shipping. One other thing, what if any, is the advantage of having the motor located in the cabinet as opposed to being mounted on the side of the saw as the grizzly?

Putting the motor inside the cabinet decreased the original footprint by having the motor mounted directly below and not the side. It should decrease the amount of dust the motor is subjected to also. The Grizzly's have changed through the years and now the motor is mounted to the saw itself, and doesn't sit to the side.
Mostly though, I think it was more cosmetic and presents a nicer appearance than an open frame with a motor mounted too it. The functionality is the same.

I don't think the comparison to the Grizzly GO555lx is exactly comparable. That's about a $200.00 price delta. I'd be more inclined to compare it to the Grizzly GO555X, which looks like a very nice saw all on it's own. For an extra $100.00, depending on shipping costs, you get 50% more motor, a larger table, and cast iron wheels. The guide bearings on this Grizzly are more in line with what I would want, but I would be changing to Carter's on either the Jet, or any of the Grizzly models. The Grizly also has a quick release blade tension function. Things to consider. ;)

Fwiw.
I do not own, nor have ever used a Grizzly product. I'm just comparing features and spec's. I do own six Jet machines, and I am, hopefully, being objective.