PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Corian with Table Saw

Bill George
03-19-2015, 5:38 PM
Got some nice Corian drops from a local counter top place. They said cut with common woodworking tools, but I suspect there is more to cutting than what they said. I have a 9 inch table saw, I am assuming carbide tip blade and fine tooth or combo blade or what? Suggestions really welcome.

Engraves nice with a lot of power and not much speed, on my 40 watt machine. I suspect its time for the new laser.

Ross Moshinsky
03-19-2015, 5:49 PM
http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/assets/pdf/fabmanual/Ch01-Tools-Accessories.pdf

For engraving, I'd use 100% power and 350-400mm/sec to start.

Scott Shepherd
03-19-2015, 6:01 PM
Bill, it cuts like butter on any woodworking tools. I cut it with a skil saw when I need a small chunk. Bandsaw, table saw, skil saw, it all cuts fine.

Bill George
03-19-2015, 6:07 PM
Scott, It does not need to be carbide?

Bill George
03-19-2015, 6:10 PM
http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/assets/pdf/fabmanual/Ch01-Tools-Accessories.pdf

For engraving, I'd use 100% power and 350-400mm/sec to start.

Ross on my 40 Watt machine I was using 95% power and dropped my normal speed for everything else, from 400 mm/Sec down to 50 and then 25 mm/Sec. To be honest I could not tell a lot of difference between the two speeds. I suspect I could go to 100 mm/Sec and it would still be ok. Thanks for the reply, both you and Scott!

Scott Shepherd
03-19-2015, 6:22 PM
Scott, It does not need to be carbide?

I've cut it with a hacksaw, so I'd say it'll cut with anything. Now whether or not you want to run a lot of that way, I wouldn't say, but yes, it'll cut with most anything. It really does cut beautifully. Try it on a small piece and see how it performs with what you have.

Keith Outten
03-19-2015, 10:00 PM
When you cut Corian on a table saw it has a terrible smell. There isn't any oder when you cut with any other machine or router.

Carbide tools are best but no matter what machine or blade you decide to use GO SLOW and your blades and router bits will stay sharp about as long as they do when cutting wood.

Adjusting your laser speed and power only affects the depth of engraving.

Bill George
03-20-2015, 6:58 AM
The samples I did, color filled looked pretty nice. I will up the speed a little at a time to find the magic setting. My table saw is a old Craftsman 9 inch, but I did find a nice carbide blade that will fit. Thanks for the reply.