PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying jointer blade?? (pics)

Jerry Olexa
03-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Just bought a used Delta 6" jointer for backup in basement shop. I'm not familiar with the blade installed..Along with it came a wrench (similar to Allen type) for. rotating, adjusting the individual blades..I have conventional ,straight blades in my bigger jointer.. Could this be a spiral, Helix, Byrd etc? I'll appreciate your feedback... Thanks

peter gagliardi
03-19-2015, 3:26 PM
That looks to be a modular style of insert carbide head. A series of discs stacked to the appropriate width of the machine on a central shaft, that accepts the standard four sided turnable carbide cutters like on a Byrd or similar head.

Earl McLain
03-19-2015, 3:29 PM
Jerry,
I'm no expert but that looks like an Accu-Head. I believe Steel City may have been a distributor of them at one time.
earl

Jim Andrew
03-19-2015, 8:21 PM
Certainly is no Byrd.

Jerry Olexa
03-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Now looking at numerous cuts on my fingers from trying to clean those blades..They are sharp and easily cut deep...Before buying, I ran a few scrap pieces through the jointer and produced good, easy, smooth cuts/results...I'm just curious what brand or type of blade this is??? Already you've given me a few clues... This will help clear the "mystery"...Thanks again for your help., The confused new owner

Mark Wooden
03-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Don't know who made it, but the carbide cutters look pretty standard and should be available from a variety of suppliers. Pretty cool head set up IMO

Morey St. Denis
03-20-2015, 5:44 PM
Certainly not helical geometry, nor is it segmented cutters mounted along a spiral. Just a clever way of utilizing economical standard carbide inserts without the precision machining & manufacturing that would be required of a true helical cutterhead. Benefits are likely to be: economy, edge retention (due to the use of carbide inserts), potential noise reduction (if used in combination with an induction motor), fractionally decreased power requirement, and ease of correcting edge damage when metal gets hit by quickly rotating one, or several of the damaged carbide insert edges. Be curious to know how the manufacturer is calling this economy design...

Jerry Olexa
03-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks for your help guys...Would love to know brand or name of manufacturer but we made progress anyway..Thank you...

Alan Bienlein
03-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Looks just like the accu-head I have installed in my Ridgid TP1300.

Jerry Olexa
03-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Alan, that sure looks like same..I think you nailed it..Thank you...The seller didn't know when I bought it...thanks again.

Myk Rian
03-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Will Byrd cutters fit it?