PDA

View Full Version : High quality work light?

Jamie Buxton
03-19-2015, 12:55 AM
We all know those $20 "painters lights". They're typically 250W or 500W halogen lamps on an adjustable work stand. The price is really low, but so is the quality of construction. Usually the fixture dies before the bulb burns out. No problem. At $20 per, just go buy a new one. But I'm getting a little tired of throwing the things in the landfill. Does anybody know of one which is built better, and has a longer life?

Don Morris
03-19-2015, 1:31 AM
I know what you mean, I repaired (electrical wire came loose) on one I had after only a few months. But after the repair, it worked fine, along with the others. Just make sure you repair it so it is a permanent fix. My beef with them are the stands they usually come on. Not terribly high quality and wobble with the slightest touch. But, good contrast lighting is helpful when looking for flaws in the finish or contour. Another beef I have with them is that most don't come with an on/off switch (either on the cord or the metal work) or a efficiently long enough cord. I've had to make up a short extension or rewire the short cord that comes with it with a different longer cord. The Halogen bulbs don't give the type of light I want when I need to see color properly. Sometimes color matching is critical and you have to beware of the potential phenomena of metamerism using Halogen lighting. However, try finding a color corrected bulb for these type units that wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. With all their faults though, as my age progresses, I love the added light they provide. I'm just aware of their faults. I've got Craftsman and Regent brands that have survived for years. I'm pretty careful in storing them, but I always keep extra bulbs handy.

Jim Matthews
03-19-2015, 7:32 AM
I'm using one of the little Ikea LED lights on a gooseneck.
The cord isn't robust, but the light output is excellent.

Jansjo model, $15.