PDA

View Full Version : grizzly 3 or 5hp cyclone s

Mike Kees
03-18-2015, 11:06 PM
I am looking for info from owners of grizzly cyclones. Are they a really good unit? I would really appreciate some real world experience from actual users not just reviews. I know its really hard to compare because most guys are only ever going to buy one cyclone. Thanks in advance for any info.

Wade Lippman
03-18-2015, 11:23 PM
I am happy with mine. The separation is not as good as on the JDS I had before I moved a few years ago, but it is adequate.
Just don't think you can get it in a 93" ceiling like they claim.
Anything in particular you are concerned about?

mike mcilroy
03-18-2015, 11:37 PM
I have the 3 hp Grizzly and love it. The ductwork is not complete or sealed properly but has me smiling every time I use the SCMS. I use the 93" configuration (35 gal drum) on mine.

John C Bush
03-19-2015, 4:42 PM
I've had the 2hp unit for ~10 yrs and works great. Mounted it in attached bldg. so noise is low. I can run 2-3 machines as needed.

glenn bradley
03-19-2015, 5:48 PM
Very happy with the 2HP unit although I wanted the 3HP. I couldn't shoe horn it into the available space. The 2HP works well but, if I did it again I would make space for the more powerful unit. The muffler came with mine. I cannot tell a bit of difference with it inline or not. Got a squeak during run down and thought "oh no, bearings". Not so. Its just the centrifugal clutch plate making the spring mechanism oscillate. A little graphite cures this for several months at a time if it bothers you.

The filter stays very clean. I get about a cup of fines in the filter catch-bag after maybe a dozen bin emptyings. The filter brush does a very good job if you remember to use it every week or so. I would cut a window in the bin or add a Bindicator (mine is still sitting on the shelf waiting to be added) unless your memory is better than mine on checking the barrel. Years of use, no failures, does what it is supposed to and the remote control batteries seem to last forever. I added a couple extra remotes that set around the shop. They are inexpensive and save steps if you want to leave the machine on for a bit without fooling with the timer.

Mike Kees
03-19-2015, 7:35 PM
Very happy with the 2HP unit although I wanted the 3HP. I couldn't shoe horn it into the available space. The 2HP works well but, if I did it again I would make space for the more powerful unit. The muffler came with mine. I cannot tell a bit of difference with it inline or not. Got a squeak during run down and thought "oh no, bearings". Not so. Its just the centrifugal clutch plate making the spring mechanism oscillate. A little graphite cures this for several months at a time if it bothers you.

The filter stays very clean. I get about a cup of fines in the filter catch-bag after maybe a dozen bin emptyings. The filter brush does a very good job if you remember to use it every week or so. I would cut a window in the bin or add a Bindicator (mine is still sitting on the shelf waiting to be added) unless your memory is better than mine on checking the barrel. Years of use, no failures, does what it is supposed to and the remote control batteries seem to last forever. I added a couple extra remotes that set around the shop. They are inexpensive and save steps if you want to leave the machine on for a bit without fooling with the timer.
This is exactly the type of information-help that I was hoping for with my original post. Thanks so much. I am setting up dust collection in my new shop. There will be about seven or eight machines hooked up eventually. I think I will probaly get the five horse unit but I have to go thru the math again and determine the actual length of duct etc. So durability and efficiency and filter life are all positives for you guys? I am looking to Grizzly because of the reviews I have seen and their customer service guy that I talked to was very patient with all my questions. The other question I am wondering about is the newest Grizzly with the hepa filter. Does anyone think that would be a lot better? Would you guys pay thirty percent more for this filter or not?

David Kumm
03-19-2015, 7:42 PM
Spend the money for a larger system so you pull the fines off the machine. It isn't the dust that escapes the filters that is most dangerous, but the stuff that doesn't get into the system in the first place. you might think your system does well, but when you put a dylos monitor near the machine you will find out how much doesn't get into the filters. Dave