PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Pick-Up Truck

Chris Padilla
08-02-2005, 6:21 PM
I know we've had a few threads on this but I think my specifics deserves a whole new one! :D

I've driven a 1990 Toyota 2x4 plain jane Pick-Up for the last 10 years. It was a basic, basic model, 4-banger (22R) "bullet-proof" engine, no A/C, no nothing. It was and continues to be the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It only as 114k miles on it. The next owner will get a fabulous truck! :) It looks like hell but runs like a champ. It's hauled plenty of stuff with its butt scraping the road and never complained.

Anyway, I'm ready to move up and am looking for a few more options.

What I really want in a small truck:

(1) Extra cab
(2) Long bed
(3) Manual Tranny
(4) 2x4
(5) A/C

I'd like to get a Toyota Tacoma but it doesn't appear that any of them have very long beds. Further, it appears the extra cab (of the various kinds) eat seriously into the bed length.

Who else should I look at for my quest? I absolutely want to stay small truck to maintain decent fuel mileage so a 4-banger is fine but V6s aren't out of the question.

I'd like to get new but if new doesn't have everything, what should I look for in the used small truck market?

Cecil Arnold
08-02-2005, 6:34 PM
I don't think what you're looking for is out there. I have a 2004 Tacoma pretty much like you say you want, but the bed is only 6'. I built a platform for hauling sheetgoods that works well, sits between the wheels, and has room under for sticks. When I was looking I also wanted to be able to load sheets in the bed with the tailgate up, but couldn't find anything with an extended cab and an 8' bed. This Tacoma is the 6th Toyota we have owned and all have had in excess of 100,000 miles when we disposed of them. One had 214,000 still ran well and the A/C worked (really importaint on the Texas Gulf coast). I've found that if you do the recommended maintanance on them you have to shoot them to get them to quit running.

Lee DeRaud
08-02-2005, 6:53 PM
I would have thought the obvious solution, given your proclivities, was a 530xi Sport Wagon...and about an hour with Mr. Chainsaw to open the bed up. :eek: :D

Chris Padilla
08-02-2005, 6:56 PM
Cecil, I was afraid of that but I don't think I'll leave Toyota's trucks if I can help it. I've seen some old ones running around with "1-ton" and "long-bed" written on them. I think even a 4-door Prerunner Tacoma (Auto only near as I can tell) is labeled as "long-bed" but I don't know what "long" means....

Well, durn it, Lee...now why didn't I think of that! ;)

Mike Cutler
08-02-2005, 7:00 PM
Chris. These are the trucks I've had experience with;
1986 Toyota 4x4. Had it for 4 years, put 110,000 on it. with no problems until it was rearended and totaled on the freeway.

1989 Toyota V6, 4x4 xtracab. Had it for 13 years. I put 344,000 miles on it and it was still running fine when I sold it.

2001 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4, xtra cab. It currently has 86,000 miles. I've done nothing to it except put in a Linex sprayed in bedliner.

I have never had a repair bill with my Toyota's, and I ain't easy on trucks. I do gas, filters, brake pads and oil changes and that's about it. No babying.
I can't speak for the 2005, but my current truck has a "6 ft" bed, it's actually a few inches longer. If the current Xtra cabs are eating into bed length that would be a shame. I have a 2x4 frame that rests on the truck bed rails and clamps in in place, and I've hauled alot of material on this frame.
I would stick with the Toyota's if that's what you are comfotable with, and adapt the truck to suit your need, or get a light lowboy style trailer with a hydraulic gate and box, like an EZ Dumper.
If you have never had a truck with an Xtra cab, give it some serious thought, after 16 years of having one, I wouldn't own a truck without one, no matter whom the vehicle manufacture. It also keeps the resale value higher.
Good luck, vehicle shopping can be stressful. ;)

Hal Flynt
08-02-2005, 7:01 PM
Go to a full size quad cab and the short bed on them is 6.5 feet.

A 4x8 sheet of ply will lay flat with the tailgate down and leave enough room to use an "L" shaped thingie (tech term) to keep the ply from sliding rearward, when strapped to the cleats.

A long bed quad cab is not easy to park anywhere.

Don Baer
08-02-2005, 7:24 PM
I'm with Hal on this one. I Used to own an 02 S-10 ext cab and although it was a great truck I moved up to an 05 Silverado 4 door with 6.5 ft bed. The dealer made me an offer that was just to good to pass up. I love the truck just have to be a little careful parking the beast. My wife owns a Saburban and when they are parked side by side my truck is a full 18" longer then hers. The wheel base is longer. I throw full sheets in the back all of the time with no problem. I've been thinking of getting one of these for it..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47591

:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
08-02-2005, 8:28 PM
Tundra Access Cab or Tundra 4-dr would be what I'd suggest based on my experience with my 2000 Tundra Access Cab Limited. Fabulous and the ride/comfort approaches the Chrysler 300M I drove previous to the truck. (And I'm keeping it "forever"...only have 47600 miles on it) The bed is only 6.5', but I have never found that to be a limit. With the gate down, 8' goods are fully supported, and I have one of those doo-hickies that go in the hitch to support longer boards...cheap from Harbor Freight. I think that if you want the bigger cab as well as the 8' bed, you're going to have to upsize to a "work truck" level machine. If you do, diesel is the only way to go.

I've enjoyed my Tundra so much as well as our Prius that I'm about to buy a Highlander as a family vehicle if the deal is right.

Chris Padilla
08-02-2005, 8:45 PM
I'm sticking to the small truck so I guess I'll have to make do like I have for the past 10 years...no biggie. I don't haul sheet goods often enough to have a "full-time" sheet hauler.

I think the 2x4 Access Cab Tacoma with either the 4 or 6-banger will work out fine...they seem to be equivalent in gas mileage which I found surprising.

Jim Becker
08-02-2005, 8:55 PM
The 4 door version of the Tacoma is very nice, Chris....

Chris Padilla
08-02-2005, 9:26 PM
I'll have to go to the dealer soon (one is walking distance from my house) so I'll be sure to check it out.

The only bad thing with the 4-door Tacoma (Double-Cab is what Toyota calls it) is that in order to get the 6' bed, you have to get it in 4x4 mode. The Double-Cab in 2x4 mode has only a 5' bed. If it came with a 6' bed, it would be a strong contender. Too bad...I wonder why the bed suffers in 2x4 mode vs. 4x4 mode??

It seems rather short-sighted of Toyota to limit the Double-Cab options

Bart Leetch
08-02-2005, 9:33 PM
Your in trouble Chris.

Heard of a guy years a go when you could get a Ford, Chevy, Dodge or International & not very many models of each to choose from. He went looking for a truck & they never saw him again. :eek: :D

Chris Padilla
08-02-2005, 11:06 PM
You know, I've just been reading up at Edmunds and I see that they distinguish between a short and long-bed for the double-cab 2wd Tacoma. Funny, the Toyota website makes no such distinction!

Well, assuming Edmunds is right and the folks posting their reviews for their Double-cab 2wd long-bed Tacoma aren't all insane, I'd say the double-cab is a strong contender right now! :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-03-2005, 2:30 AM
Consider the supposed mileage benefit of the smaller truck...I never got anything over about 22MPG with either of my Nissan 4cyl, got near 20 with the Ford F150V6, and nearly 19 with the Dodge 1500 Quad V8 (non HEMI). I drive a bit over 100 miles a day, and I'm too tired to do the math...but whatever that 3 or 4 MPG I lost by going to the bigger truck is costing me in gas is more than made up in comfort and roominess. Also finally went to an automatic with the Dodge, and I'll not drive a manual again. As to hauling plywood, unless you're hauling 30 sheets at once, I don't think you even need to worry about the tailgate 'extenders'...the bed inclines to begin with, and you're not gonna lose it sliding backwards unless you're really into jackrabbit starts on a good hill.

KC

Donnie Raines
08-03-2005, 9:34 AM
I have a 2004 Dakota 4x4(4x2 looks pretty much the same..just sits a little lower). It has the biggest crew cab in its class...I have two kids...so I looked at all of them...allowing the kids to test the back seats out. The bed is just under 7 foot in lenght...so that deems it a long bed sense it is over 6 foot in lenght. I can fit several plywood board sin the back...no problememo. The thing is great..and the price(at least in these parts) is a lot less then a Tacoma.

Donnie Raines
08-03-2005, 9:35 AM
Also...you don't have to buy the 4x4 to get the longer bed.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2005, 9:47 AM
Chris.....while I don't own one now, I don't believe you can beat Toyota "small" trucks for reliability. If I was in the market for a small truck they'd be the leading canididate with a wide margin! Good luck with you choice!

Jay Fields
08-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Chris:
You might want to consider one of the smaller Toyota SUVs.
My experience is only with the Land Cruiser, but . . I have no problem fitting boards up to 10 ft long inside, and 4x8 sheet goods fit on the rack.
Just keep a bag of bungies in the back and your ready for any occasion. Like when the ex or kids drive you nuts, just threaten to tie them to the roof rack. Actually that threat doesn't work on the kids, they would consider it fun.
JF

Rob Russell
08-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Awww - Chris - just get yourself one of these!!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2884

When I went looking for a truck, I wanted a "small" truck, X-cab with 8' bed. They used to make the Dakota and Ranger like that. No more.

I'll admit, parking this isn't quite like parking a car (and I drive a large car). Gas mileage isn't the greatest, but it is 4x4. It'll be 2 years old this October and I just rolled over 6K on it last weekend, so fuel economy isn't quite as much of an issue as hauling capacity was.

Rob

Peter Stahl
08-03-2005, 4:28 PM
Chris,

Look at this Kelly Blue Book page,they only show two 2 X 4 trucks and both are auto. One has a 5 foot and the other a 6 foot. Don't think they have a longer bed than 6 ft. I have a Chevy Silverado and this on has a 6-1/2 ft bed, 8 ft with the gate down. http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ncop?kbb.NJ;946681;NJ015&08096&&;;nc;pic&5&05TTR2_P6;050800

Chris Padilla
08-03-2005, 5:35 PM
Yeah, Peter...I can't get longer than a 6' bed in a small truck. Oh well...I'll survive...I've survived fine with my current pick-up for 11 years. :)

I'm going tonight to take a closer look at the 4-door Tacoma. I think that one will be the ticket assuming I can get the 6' bed...which I should be able to...I think. :D

Tim Morton
08-03-2005, 6:28 PM
Yeah, Peter...I can't get longer than a 6' bed in a small truck. Oh well...I'll survive...I've survived fine with my current pick-up for 11 years. :)

I'm going tonight to take a closer look at the 4-door Tacoma. I think that one will be the ticket assuming I can get the 6' bed...which I should be able to...I think. :D

I went looking at the tacoma last year, and I know the new model is a bit bigger, but then the tacoma just seemed to small, anf the double cab had a much too short bed to be useful...so I drove away with a Tundra and it was not that much more money, and I have never regretted it...GREAT truck:cool:

Donnie Raines
08-04-2005, 9:03 AM

I have a 2004 Dakota with a 7 foot bed......

Chris Padilla
08-04-2005, 5:03 PM
I have a 2004 Dakota with a 7 foot bed......

Hi Donnie,

Yeah, I saw you post that earlier. I think Toyota has me wrapped around their fingers and they know it! :)

So last night I took the kid and stroller and we walked over to the dealer and checked out the trucks in person. I think that my daughter's carseat will fit in the back of the extra-cab and so we won't need the 4-door (double-cab).

The acid test will be bringing in her car seat and trying it out at the dealer and seeing how much room there really is before I fully cross the 4-door off the list (which I'd like to do, frankly...they run about 3 k more and you have less choices).

I'm thinking a 2x4 Prerunner, 6-speed Manual, Extra-cab, V6 Tacoma in Desert Sand Mica color will fit the bill nicely! We'll see about the car seat. Wife doesn't get too much say in this since it'll be my vehicle.

One thing that surprised me about the Tacomas...they sure are a ways off the ground! :eek: My 1990 rides on 14" rims but the Tocomas base rim size is 15" and they have option packages that take them to 16" (and even 18" for the X-Runner). However, the looks of the truck with the option package that gives 16" wheels looks loads nicer than the base version with 15" wheels. But, I noticed that as wheel (therefore tire) size increased, the fuel mileage decreased. I'm not happy about that but perhaps I could look into lowering the truck just a bit...like my 1990. We'll see....

However, the JERKS had Tundras everywhere and boy the area of the bed sure looked AMPLE! :D :D

Cecil Arnold
08-04-2005, 5:43 PM
Chris, the Prerunners (4X2) are the same height as the 4X4s. You can get the lower Tacoma if you don't get the Prerunner. Mine is a 2004 Prerunner (extended cab) w/air, AT, ABS, SR5 V6 in bright red. I told all my chums it was my last fire truck.

Jim Becker
08-04-2005, 5:48 PM
However, the JERKS had Tundras everywhere and boy the area of the bed sure looked AMPLE!

Hmm...if you're up for a cross country drive, I might consider making a deal with you on a very clean, new-looking, low miles 2000 Tundra Limted Access Cab with a cap...I'm thinking about not having three vehicles when we buy the Highlander as I can pick up a trailer for moving big things, such as lumber and the Kubota. Car seats/booster seats fit fine...in fact, there is a booster in it "as we speak". Not totally set on that idea, but if I had to choose one vehicle to go as part of this "family vehicle" deal, I'd sadly choose the big machine and keep the 48 mpg Prius for ratting around. (I love my Tundra...)

Chris Padilla
08-04-2005, 6:08 PM
Chris, the Prerunners (4X2) are the same height as the 4X4s. You can get the lower Tacoma if you don't get the Prerunner. Mine is a 2004 Prerunner (extended cab) w/air, AT, ABS, SR5 V6 in bright red. I told all my chums it was my last fire truck.

Cecil,

Thanks for the info. I think the Prerunner came with some more options over the non-Prerunner (plus more colors) so that is why I was thinking to go with the Prerunner and then look into lowering it a bit and go with smaller tires to bump up the gas mileage. I'm sure I could sell the 16" tires/wheels and make up a decent amount of money for the downgrade in tires and possible suspension work if I felt like going that route.

Chris Padilla
08-04-2005, 6:23 PM
Hmm...if you're up for a cross country drive, I might consider making a deal with you on a very clean, new-looking, low miles 2000 Tundra Limted Access Cab with a cap...I'm thinking about not having three vehicles when we buy the Highlander as I can pick up a trailer for moving big things, such as lumber and the Kubota. Car seats/booster seats fit fine...in fact, there is a booster in it "as we speak". Not totally set on that idea, but if I had to choose one vehicle to go as part of this "family vehicle" deal, I'd sadly choose the big machine and keep the 48 mpg Prius for ratting around. (I love my Tundra...)

Jim,

Thanks for the offer but that is a bit of a haul to get a truck unless you wanna meet over the Mississippi somewhere! ;)

Jim Becker
08-04-2005, 6:26 PM
Hey, but you could get your picture taken in my shop...such a deal!! :rolleyes: :p

Donnie Raines
08-04-2005, 8:12 PM
I hope I did not come off as though I pushing the Dodge down your throat....

.....I seen that you wanted the longer bed and knew they offered it... :cool:

Tim Morton
08-04-2005, 8:45 PM
Chris...one thing about the Tundra, and I imagine nthe tacoma is worse...back seat room is terrible...and the seats in the tundra are leaning forward making the ride for those unfortunate backseat riders miserable. So if that is a consideration you should sit back there for a bit....

Lee DeRaud
08-04-2005, 9:54 PM
I hope I did not come off as though I pushing the Dodge down your throat....I think you meant to say "ramming the Dodge down your throat". :cool:

Chris Padilla
08-06-2005, 4:03 AM
I hope I did not come off as though I pushing the Dodge down your throat....

.....I seen that you wanted the longer bed and knew they offered it... :cool:

Not at all, Donnie, not at all. :) No RAM was taken.... ;)

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-06-2005, 7:11 AM
Having swapped the F150 with two 'real' doors and two 'funky' rear doors for the Dodge with 4 doors, I'd NEVER consider one without four doors again...especially if I was having to use a carseat.

KC