PDA

View Full Version : Which portable table saw?

John Loftis
03-18-2015, 6:22 PM
Hi Folks, I'm bidding a job right now that would require me to do a bit of on-site carpentry (built-ins under and around a bay window). My thought is that if I get a portable saw, I can rough out a lot of the parts in the shop on my big Felder slider, then take the plywood and saw to the job site for the site work. There are too many complex angles and uneven walls to do this whole thing in the shop, even with cardboard templates. Once the job is complete, I'd like to stick a dado stack on the portable saw and leave it in the corner for when I need to run a quick dado for a vanity or whatever (I do cabinetry and carpentry as little as I can afford to).

So the criteria are:
-quality/accuracy
-enough power to cut a 3/4" wide dado in plywood, say 3/8" deep.
-ability to rip cabinet-wide pieces (24"+)
-portability (it has to some sort of mobility stand that I can roll around)

I polled our woodworking club last night and nobody had recent experience with portable saws. I read a couple articles online that seemed to favor either the Ridgid 4510 (now 4513) for $400 at HD or the Bosch 4100 for $600 at Amazon.

Appreciate your thoughts.

John

Jim Dwight
03-18-2015, 8:56 PM
It isn't exactly a portable but I use a BT3100 (Ryobi) in my shop. It is light enough to take to a jobsite and accurate. There used to be a Sears version that came with a roll around stand. If you saw one used, it would be worth getting.

Could you do the site work with a tracksaw? It would eliminate your idea of a second saw for the shop but it would be very useful in the shop too. I have a DeWalt with the 106 and 59 inch tracks that was about $600. A MFT style table adds significantly to usefulness but also adds cost. There is also a Grizzly model that is significantly cheaper and a Festool that is over $1000 with equivalent tracks.

John Loftis
03-18-2015, 9:16 PM
It isn't exactly a portable but I use a BT3100 (Ryobi) in my shop. It is light enough to take to a jobsite and accurate. There used to be a Sears version that came with a roll around stand. If you saw one used, it would be worth getting.

Could you do the site work with a tracksaw? It would eliminate your idea of a second saw for the shop but it would be very useful in the shop too. I have a DeWalt with the 106 and 59 inch tracks that was about $600. A MFT style table adds significantly to usefulness but also adds cost. There is also a Grizzly model that is significantly cheaper and a Festool that is over $1000 with equivalent tracks.

Good thoughts on the track saw, Jim. I have one and probably could get the job done that way. If the consensus is that portable saws are junk, then that might be what I do. I'm so conditioned to using a table saw, but I realize that these track saws can do bevels etc. even though I've never used mine that way. I guess I'm getting a little brain-locked.

I sold my cabinet saw when I got the Kappa 40, and I've never used a little portable saw before, so I might be having unrealistic expectations that it could be a dedicated dado cutter in the shop...

Best,
John

Stew Hagerty
03-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Just curious, have you seen the new SawStop jobsite saw?
I just saw the video earlier today. I've got to say, pretty cool!

David C. Roseman
03-18-2015, 11:15 PM
John, have you been following the SMC thread on Bosch's new job site TS that's an alternative to SawStop? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?228834-Bosch-coming-out-with-alternative-to-SawStop. Supposedly available this Fall.

Rich Engelhardt
03-19-2015, 5:28 AM
Hi Folks, I'm bidding a job right now that would require me to do a bit of on-site carpentry (built-ins under and around a bay window)
I use my Festool TS 55EQ for exactly that purpose.
It's accuracy far exceeds that of any portable saw - as does it's quality of cut.

I'm not sure about all the portables, but, I know my Hitachi portable wouldn't take a full 3/4" wide Dado blade. The spindle was too short.
That's something you'll want to check on any portable you look at.

Roger Pozzi
03-19-2015, 7:58 AM
I have the Bosch 4100 and have been using it for about 5 years. Haven't found anything it can't do for me yet. It came with a full kerf blade and that's what I've been sticking with for my replacements (Freud). The Bosch has a slightly bigger table than the much-loved Dewalt and, with their gravity-rise stand, is very simple to move. The fence is very accurate and locks front and back.
I have ripped a lot of 6/4 lumber with no indication that I was taxing it's power at all. I must say that I replaced my Ryobi BT3100 with this Bosch. The Ryobi has a set blade position and the miter slots, sliding miter table, and fence must all be adjusted to the blade. It seemed that every time I went to the shop, I was readjusting everything for one reason or another. I had that Ryobi for 4 years until I just had had it. Some people have very good results with the Ryobi or Craftsman counterpart and I applaude them. But, I checked and adjusted everything on my Bosch when I first got it and haven't had any problems since.
After all that, it is still up to you to decide just what saw or method best suits your needs. :o

Jim Dwight
03-19-2015, 8:00 AM
The Ryobi BT3100 will take a dado stack but needs a 6 inch dado stack, not an 8 inch. It is a belt driven saw but uses a 15A universal motor. I've used a full 13/16 dado setup on mine a few times. I think it would do what you describe if you find one on craigs list or something. But I also like using my tracksaw. The dust collection is better than the table saw and the cuts are as good as the Ryobi.

julian abram
03-19-2015, 4:26 PM
I purchased a Dewalt job site saw about 15 years ago, can't remember the model no. but it is a direct drive unit. This was one of the first introduced in the 90's when job site saws started popping up like mushrooms. It has been a great little saw, can't wear it out. Ripped everything on it from 3/4 ply to 2x4's. After I stopped building houses I moved it into the shop and used it for cabinet & furniture work. Ran 8" dado blade on it many times for 3/4" stock. Replaced it in the shop with a Grizzly cabinet saw a couple years ago but still holding on to it incase I'm asked to do some job site work. Must run a thin kerf blade on these small saws. If I were buying again to day and this Dewalt model was not available I'd probably go with that Bosch 4100 from what I have seen and read about it. Just my 2 cents.

Jim Andrew
03-19-2015, 8:19 PM
I also have a Dewalt, never have run a dado blade on it, just used it for rip cuts on jobsite. The great thing about the Dewalt is the fence. It is always parallel to your blade. I have used many lightweight saws on jobs, the fence was always the problem. When I was young, I moved my contractors saw around from job to job, but the thing got heavier as I got older, then I got the Dewalt. Got myself a job trailer, and just packed up my stuff in the trailer, instead of always having to drag it home unless there was another garage ready to move into.

Kelly Cleveland
03-19-2015, 8:51 PM
I have been using a dewalt DW745 as my main table saw due to space and budget restrictions. It has served me very well the last year and a half, and with a good blade it leaves a very clean cut. The dust collection isn't great, so if that is a concern the Bosch might be a better option.

Mark Philippi
03-19-2015, 9:24 PM
I have the Bosch 4100. It has worked well.It rips 8/4 Cherry and Walnut cleanly. The power is fine. The riving knife prevents the use of thin kerf blades but there seems to be enough power to handle full size blades. I have no insight into dado capabilities. The gravity rise stand is great for me.