PDA

View Full Version : Jim Bode tools

Brian Holcombe
03-18-2015, 4:15 PM
Gentlemen,

I came across Jim's website about a week or so ago and did a bit of research on here as well. I just want to say I had a wonderful experience with Jim's company, I decided to buy a stanley 923 brace and bit which he had marked as a 'user'. Now I decided on this after countless searching on ebay and finding users that were very dumpy looking or crazy expensive 'NIB' collector tools. User or not this brace is in perfect shape and the wood is totally crack free and still lacquered, I presume the finish to be original because the original sticker from stanley still present. I paid what I consider to be a fair price for it, especially by comparison to comparable tools listed on ebay.

I ordered, they shipped the next day and I received it one day later. :D

Also, thanks fellas for getting me to delve into antique tools.

Cheers,
Brian

Daniel Rode
03-18-2015, 4:28 PM
I recently made a purchase from Jim Bode as well. I was very happy with the service. My order shipped with a hand written note. I thought that was a nice touch.

Robert Norman
03-18-2015, 5:43 PM
They run a top shelf operation up there. I've emailed Jim with questions about old hand tools and he has been very quick to respond. I asked him most recently about the multiform molding planes from the turn of the century and he sent me copies of some material he had on hand. That made me hit up the libraries for me digging, when I had an epiphany:
Why not start a library for wooden planes?

I'm trying to build up some "Bickford DVD", common use beads, 1/2 sets etc... to spread the joy around.

Anyway bigtime +1 for Jim and Josh Clark as well.

Zach Dillinger
03-18-2015, 5:51 PM
Jim is top shelf.

Tony Zaffuto
03-18-2015, 6:01 PM
Bought a small Preston shoulder plane from him several years ago-whisker less than 1/2". Paid top dollar (would do it again in a heartbeat), but boy is that plane sweet! Chips jump off the board before even being touched by the blade, it's that good!

Frederick Skelly
03-18-2015, 6:50 PM
Thanks for posting this Brian. From previous posts about the auction site and buying old tools, I'd somehow gotten a negative (and apparently completely wrong)impression about Mr. Bode. I'm glad to have it straight now - I'll go bookmark his site. YIPPEEEE! Another source for old tools!

Fred

Paul Incognito
03-19-2015, 7:14 AM
I've bought a few things from Jim. Very happy with all my purchases.
I met him last year at the PATINA swap. A real nice guy.
Paul

James Conrad
03-19-2015, 7:30 AM
While Jim was pleasant and helpful, the times I've ordered tools from him they turned out to not match his description both on the site and when I specifically emailed questions, to the point I returned each item. He did accept them back with no fuss.

george wilson
03-19-2015, 7:56 AM
I hate to re pack and mail at my expense because stuff is not as described. I'm still out the postage and the trouble. Had to return a phonograph to California last year for $50.00. The sellers were too ignorant to know it was missing significant parts that could not be purchased. Sure,they took it back,but no fun. It was missing the disc that you had to have to transcribe music from records into the computer to make DVD's,the manual,and even the UNIQUE power cord.

This thread about Bode is certainly different. Somewhere (can't remember) there were numerous posts about how bad he was and how excessively high his prices were. I haven't dealt with him because of the other posts mentioned.

Mark Stutz
03-19-2015, 9:34 AM
I've never bought anything from him, but I've been outbid more than once at various auctions!:D

Mike Brady
03-19-2015, 10:06 AM
I've bought a thing or two from him. He is a good source for uncommon items. His company operates at the "retail" end of the spectrum where price is secondary to getting what you want. Many of his items are nearly double the price you would pay at a MWTCA meet, for example. The web page is attractive and informative and I believe he vets his items well so that you actually get what you are expecting.

Daniel Rode
03-19-2015, 10:28 AM
I spent a year looking for a Record 043 plow plane. I never found complete one at what I considered a good price. A few nice ones from the UK, but shipping and taxes made them far too expensive. Jim had maybe 6 of them on the site. I was sick of looking at just wanted to make some grooves. In this case, the cost was hardly more than what I'd hoped for on that auction site.

Jim Belair
03-19-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm another with a positive experience.

Doug McKay
03-19-2015, 8:47 PM
I've made two purchases from him so far, both perfect!

Chuck Nickerson
03-20-2015, 1:01 PM
This thread about Bode is certainly different. Somewhere (can't remember) there were numerous posts about how bad he was and how excessively high his prices were. I haven't dealt with him because of the other posts mentioned.

Those threads were 'run' by people who are offended by 'high' prices even though they are/were not forced to buy.
With Jim Bode the price is well-known and does not mysteriously move.

I've bought several items from Jim (Los Angeles is an old tool desert) and have had no problems.

george wilson
03-20-2015, 2:32 PM
About the last thing I need is MORE tools anyway!!! None the less,I have bought 2 Lancashire hacksaws lately,because I only had a small one,and they are very elegant. MUCH more rigid than any new made one.

Bob Snyder - Austin
03-20-2015, 3:57 PM
And another. Jim was able to help me pick a good user No 7. Actually cost less than some of the others that were more collectible. I would not hesitate in doing business with him. Awesome service.