PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis & tool holding

mike pockoski
03-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Hey folks,

I've been lurking on this site for months now, enjoying the tips and turnings y'all post. I saw in a hollowing post this AM that someone mentioned Arthritis, and I remembered a really cool product that's out there called "Sugru". (https://sugru.com/)

I've got no affiliation with them, it's just a cool thing that i thought some of you might find useful to modify your favorite tool handles, etc. I've never even used it - but it really impressed me when i first came across it and it popped back into my head last night when i was getting my fillings rattled out on an especially catchy end-grain hollow form (using a homemade tool that's not quite yet adjusted yet to the right cutting angle). :)

It's basically a putty that hardens to a semi-hard silicone rubber. Has insulating properties, vibration dampening properties, is really grippy and comfortable, sticks to everything, is flexible and removable too...pretty impressive stuff. I'd say it would be super easy to make custom cushion grips for your tools.

I've used some thermoplastic beads for molding and modifications, but the end result with those is a hard plastic. This Sugru stuff looks much more comfortable.

Figured I'd share it...looks like it could have tons of uses. Maybe it'll be useful to someone.

Cheers,
Mike