PDA

View Full Version : Is winter ended?

Rich Riddle
03-17-2015, 8:48 PM
Officially winter ends in a few days but there was quite a chill in the air when going for a walk. Has winter ended where you live?

Mel Fulks
03-17-2015, 9:00 PM
Rich,we've been over this....you are still in denial ...quick, grab one of the old HONEST almanacs.! We can't go back in time...but we can move forward.

Myk Rian
03-17-2015, 9:05 PM
Has winter ended where you live?
We have gotten snow in June. Nope, winter isn't over.

Andrew Hughes
03-17-2015, 9:14 PM
I think so here Southern California.My desert tortoise has been out for several weeks.Hardly any snow on the local moutain.

Jebediah Eckert
03-17-2015, 9:16 PM
I have my fingers cross. Last few weeks several days above freezing, even a few 50's. We still have a good 1-2 feet of snow on the ground where I am. The temperature is dropping tonight and the wind is whistling. Spring may not be here yet. If what we just had was winter then I would have to say winter is over. No way it can get back to the Jan - Feb we have had. Even if it snows in June, the bulk of it is over! Or that is what I hope anyhow. :D

Greg R Bradley
03-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Yes, I briefly considered putting on slippers and maybe a shirt at 6am this morning before going outside and cleaning the pool. Still a little too cool to take a swim before going to work.

Just rolled down the window instead of running the AC while driving to work at 7am.

Darn Cold, Barely broke 90 today........

David Helm
03-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Been Spring here for 4 or 5 weeks. Zero snow this year and hardly any in the mountains. I love the warm but worry about drought.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Spring is here, my yard is greening up, so is the wheat. Of course we will get several more spring blizzards though. Was 80 here Sunday, 35 today.

Lee Schierer
03-17-2015, 10:57 PM
We finally saw some of our grass yesterday for the first time since Christmas. We are sure to get one more blast of winter in the next 2-3 weeks. In fact it is 27 outside right now and there was some snow in the air earlier today.

Brian Elfert
03-17-2015, 11:24 PM
It was 70 degrees on Sunday here which is way above average. I think all the snow is gone except for some piles in parking lots. It actually rained a little bit yesterday for the first time in quite a while. It snowed so little this winter there are concerns about fire danger from it being dry. Winter can extend well into April here, but I think the worst is likely over for this winter. I just hope we don't get tons of rain in May and June like the past two years.

Bert Kemp
03-18-2015, 12:13 AM
winter whats that?

Jim Matthews
03-18-2015, 6:24 AM
We got all your snow, this year.
Huge East Coast snow pack,
one of the few profitable years
for the smaller ski areas.

California is going to be really dry, I fear.

Matt Day
03-18-2015, 6:36 AM
I think you mean "Has winter ended?"
Fingers crossed I think it has here in Ohio. We still will have some below freezing temps every few days for a couple more weeks but I think we've finally came out of the ditch. Most all of the snow is gone here except where the plows have piled it up.

Keith Outten
03-18-2015, 6:41 AM
It was 77 degrees here yesterday and will probably be in the low 50's today which is typical for mid to late March.
Spring has arrived :)

Dan Hintz
03-18-2015, 6:46 AM
Monday was in the 70's, yesterday was in the 30's, today is supposed to be close to 50, and we're scheduled for rain/snow on Friday. <shrug> I don't expect any more snowstorms, but winter isn't quite through with us just yet...

roger wiegand
03-18-2015, 8:21 AM
Snow cover in the yard is down to just over a foot, the birds are singing, the maple sap is running-- it's definitely spring! Mud season is upon us.

Rich Riddle
03-18-2015, 5:26 PM
Mud season is upon us.That's the part my wife most hates. Mud.

Kent A Bathurst
03-18-2015, 5:44 PM
winter whats that?

Wise guy. :D

Get back to us when it is 110*, and explain that "no humidity" baloney to us.

My parents live in Scottsdale, and I visit often. There is no selling around that number.

Curt Harms
03-19-2015, 7:49 AM
We had the 5th coldest February on record. I guess this is an improvement.

Rick Moyer
03-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Yeah, Curt, three to six inches tomorrow (maybe), but back to 50 degrees on Saturday so I'm considering winter over regardless. When I can get back on the golf course it will officially be spring then!

David Helm
03-19-2015, 2:31 PM
We had the 5th coldest February on record. I guess this is an improvement.
We had the WARMEST February on record!

Rick Moyer
03-19-2015, 6:05 PM
We had the WARMEST February on record!
I believe that's "global coolwarming"

Mike Circo
03-23-2015, 2:53 PM
Thought I'd float this to the top again...

Because....

We just got 6" of wet heavy snow that gave me the favor of a two hour commute this morning.
BAH Humbug on winter.

ken masoumi
03-23-2015, 7:09 PM
Up here in Ontario,Canada we were so optimistic that the 45°F will stay ,and it did for a week but we are back to 10° or colder weather again,the ground around my shop is like an ice rink ,fell twice already,but I just pretend I don't see the snow anymore.maybe that's why I fell twice:D

Kent A Bathurst
03-23-2015, 9:13 PM
My favorite poem not written by Eliot. [The punctuation is correct - cummings did some odd things]

"mud-luscious" and "puddle-wonderful" have been two of my favorite phrases for over 4 decades.........

[in Just-]

BY E. E. CUMMINGS (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/e-e-cummings)

in Just-
spring when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman

whistles far and wee

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old balloonman whistles
far and wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's
spring
and

the

goat-footed

balloonMan whistles
far
and
wee

Rich Riddle
03-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Cincinnati had freezing sleet and just north some snow. It's not over yet.

Leo Graywacz
03-24-2015, 12:04 AM
15F this morning and 33F for the high today. I think it's still winter. Looks like tomorrow is going to be similar but maybe a bit warmer.