PDA

View Full Version : DWS780 or C12RSH

Garrett Miklautz
03-16-2015, 11:29 PM
Hey guys, I've been reading a lot of reviews and past posts regarding certain SCMS's. A lot of them are 5+years old, so i wanted to ask some questions as technology and current brands/models from what i can see have changed in the last 5-10 years.

I am an 3rd year apprentice carpenter, and currently, i am doing mainly finishing. Mostly trim work; baseboards, casing, hanging doors ect.
I am in the market for a quality SCMS. My boss at work has a DWS780 which i have really gotten used to. The one thing that turns me off of buying one is the sticky rails. His is only a year old and very hard to slide. And from what i read, these saws are notorious for the rails binding due to a lack of bearings on both slides.

Now I'm torn between a Hatachi c12RSH, and a new DWS780.
I actually had just impulsively bought a new C10FSBP4 because it was on sale for $200 off. It seemed like a great deal, and i have an old 8.5 hatachi slider which i really like, but isn't the most versatile saw. Long story short, i got it home, opened the box and i really wasnt impressed with the build quality. I've also read numerous reviews stating these new hatachi's really are not built as well as the older ones from japan. Anyways, that wasn't my deciding factor on returning the saw. I figure a 12" will suit my needs and provide some more versatility.

What i like about the 780 is the clearence for cutting baseboard and wide stock on edge. It will do 6 3/4". For me, i think thats a great feature that would come in handy. I also like the stainless steel adjustable detents. The hitachi is just has a sticker slapped on it.
Another plus for the 780 is the see through guard, i find that super handy for eying up your cut.
What i like about the Hitachi is the vertical handle, micro bevel adjustment, and soft start. The vertical sliders also seem like a plus. I don't think space is really an issue for me, but its a interesting design, and i like that it keeps the dust off the rails.

I've read mixed reviews as far as accuracy goes. Some people say the vertical rails leave more side to side play.

Anyways, I'd appreciate some feedback regarding these saws. I feel like I'm leaning towards the 780, but i don't wanna rule out anything i might have overlooked before pulling the trigger.

Thanks.

Curt Harms
03-17-2015, 9:43 AM
I'm not a pro but was interested in the Hitachi because if built into a bench it'd sit closer to a wall due to the slide design, similar to the Festool Kapex. I've never used one or talked to anyone that has. I don't know if this matters to you but the Hitachi and the Bosch glide are not light - 60 lbs.+ to move. There is a video review of the Hitachi around but it's sponsored by Hitachi so I didn't expect objective there.

Jonathan Freinkel
03-17-2015, 11:26 AM
I am interested in this as well. I have been about 1mm away from buying the hitachi but for some reason cant pull the trigger.