PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening issues in Chair Building... Classes

Mike Holbrook
03-16-2015, 5:26 PM
I just finished my second chair building class. The underlying issue I became convinced of at my last class was not the lack of the specific tools needed for the job or even a lack of the specific skill set to use the specialized hand tools. The most frustrating issue I have noticed is the lack of a sharp tool. Without a sharp tool it is hard to learn the techniques or make progress on the various work.

I am sure from an instructor's view point it is hard to give a sharp tool to a beginning student as the sharp tool may be more dangerous and the beginner will frequently dull it in short order. In a class, like a chair class, where moving slow means the project just want get done, a student with dull tools may not have a prayer of finishing. Maybe schools offering these kinds of classes should have a prerequisite sharpening class or at least mention in the tool list how the student is expected to sharpen their tools. I believe some instructors may attempt to resolve this issue by providing tools. Realistically though, who could/would sharpen all the tools for every student prior to a class like a chair class? Even if all tools needed were sharp at the start of the class how long will they stay that way with a group of inexperienced students? I tried to think ahead and have sharp tools ready to use for my last class, but I wasn't sure exactly what tools would be used. I ended up with sharp tools that did not get used and dull tools I wasn't expecting to need.

The more I do hand tool woodworking, the more important I find sharpening skills to be. I was the only student attempting to sharpen my own tools at the last class I attended. My experience was, even stoping to sharpen my tools was faster than continuing to fail to make progress with dull tools.

Brian Holcombe
03-16-2015, 5:50 PM
I doubt that your instructor find it rude if you arrived early with sharpening stones in tow, he may appreciate the sentiment enough to join the cause.

I would find much frustration in working with dulled tools.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-16-2015, 6:50 PM
The first thing I teach my boatbuilding students is how to sharpen. It is literally day one. Then each day we sharpen the tools at the start and as we go. Giving a student a dull tool will get them hurt much quicker than a sharp one will.

Tom M King
03-16-2015, 7:54 PM
Hand them a dull tool to use. Next hand them a sharp tool for the same job. They will see the value of sharpening. Start with sharpening without any experience one way or the other, and most will simply lose interest.

Pat Barry
03-16-2015, 7:56 PM
The first thing I teach my boatbuilding students is how to sharpen. It is literally day one. Then each day we sharpen the tools at the start and as we go. Giving a student a dull tool will get them hurt much quicker than a sharp one will.
Check that one. A dull tool requires more force and more force means it is harder to control and less control is far more dangerous. Sharp tools cut easy and are therefore easier to control

Reinis Kanders
03-16-2015, 8:02 PM
What tools did you have to sharpen that were tricky? I am asking because I am also thinking of building some green wood type chairs next fall, sort of like in the "chair from the tree" book. I just need to score some proper green wood.

Mike Holbrook
03-17-2015, 1:08 AM
To be clear, I was trying to point out that the sharpening "issue" is not an easy one to plan for for students or instructors. There are some skill sets that more advanced class instructors have to assume their students have on entering such a class. Many instructors travel a considerable distance to teach classes like chair classes. The green wood for such a class must be quite a chore to have in some useable form for the class. In my experience there is no clear definition of how green "green" wood is anyway. Do we start with a freshly cut tree or pieces close to the finished size that have been that way for months? How much room does an instructor have to store wood, tools, sharpening stones.....Did the sponsoring company provide their tool list or one compiled by the instructor? When was the last time the tool list was updated?

Reinis, many people do not have experience or sharpening devices that work with tools with very curved or just different blades. Adzes, inshaves, drawknives, spokeshaves, auger or green wood drill bits with spurs, turning tools....

Reinis Kanders
03-17-2015, 1:26 AM
Thanks for the reply. Must be a pain to prep those classes, they almost need a sharpening pre-req for those classes or maybe charge extra and have a sharpening service.
Inshave must be a pain to sharpen.

To be clear, I was trying to point out that the sharpening "issue" is not an easy one to plan for for students or instructors. There are some skill sets that more advanced class instructors have to assume their students have on entering such a class. Many instructors travel a considerable distance to teach classes like chair classes. The green wood for such a class must be quite a chore to have in some useable form for the class. In my experience there is no clear definition of how green "green" wood is anyway. Do we start with a freshly cut tree or pieces close to the finished size that have been that way for months? How much room does an instructor have to store wood, tools, sharpening stones.....Did the sponsoring company provide their tool list or one compiled by the instructor? When was the last time the tool list was updated?

Reinis, many people do not have experience or sharpening devices that work with tools with very curved blades. Adzes, inshaves, drawknives, spokeshaves, auger or green wood drill bits with spurs, turning tools....