PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Turn/Make Toys...

James Combs
03-15-2015, 9:27 PM
Particularly small vehicle wheels like these? I have developed a method of my own and was wondering if there was a better way. I was also thinking of doing a tutorial of my method hence the poll above. If you participate in the poll, please post a comment about your answer and or method.

Poll questions:
- Do you make toys with wheels?
- Do you make or buy the wheels?
- If you make your wheels do you have a fixtured or jigged process?
- Would you be interested in a toy wheel tutorial?

309215 309216 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=309203&d=1426466418)

Thanks for participating.

Paul Gilbert
03-15-2015, 10:09 PM
I have not made toys with spoked wheels. All of my toys have had solid wheels. I would very much like to see a tutorial on how you make your spoked wheels.

terry mccammon
03-16-2015, 9:25 AM
I make a few, would enjoy seeing your tutorial if you do it. Thanks.

Thom Sturgill
03-16-2015, 12:23 PM
The only 'toys' I have made so far are a baby rattle and some wands, but i'm always interested in learning something new.

Stan Smith
03-17-2015, 5:07 PM
For the very few times I have used spoke wheels, I bought them. I used to make a lot of little cars, but have only made one old pickup truck for display. I'm not happy with the finish on it and am thing of sanding it down and refinishing it.

I really like the spoke wheels on the vehicle in your pic. It would probably drive me nuts to get the glue off though. That's a problem I have with the truck that I made. Good luck with your project.

Col Smith
03-17-2015, 8:20 PM
Apart from spinning tops which we give away yo kids at demos, I have only made a Steam Roller.

Have a look at this forum, free to join....woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174

HTH
Col

James Combs
03-18-2015, 9:11 PM
I have not made toys with spoked wheels. All of my toys have had solid wheels. I would very much like to see a tutorial on how you make your spoked wheels.

I make a few, would enjoy seeing your tutorial if you do it. Thanks.

The only 'toys' I have made so far are a baby rattle and some wands, but i'm always interested in learning something new.
Paul, Terry, Thom thanks for comments. I am in the process of writing the tutorial and will post it or email it to you guys as soon as I get it done.

For the very few times I have used spoke wheels, I bought them. I used to make a lot of little cars, but have only made one old pickup truck for display. I'm not happy with the finish on it and am thing of sanding it down and refinishing it.
I really like the spoke wheels on the vehicle in your pic. It would probably drive me nuts to get the glue off though. That's a problem I have with the truck that I made. Good luck with your project.
Stan thanks for commenting, In my case I don't have a problem with the glue, I used CA and then when I applied the final finish over it, it look the same and you could not tell where the glue stain ended and the finish began.

Apart from spinning tops which we give away yo kids at demos, I have only made a Steam Roller.
Have a look at this forum, free to join....woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174
HTH
Col
Col, thanks for the link, the info there is kind-of what I was looking for. As a matter of fact I am a member of that forum but had not visited it for quite some time and never the toy forum. I found all kinds of wheel making there with methods and jigs that put mine to shame. It will help me improve my method. I will post the resulting "tuned" process eventually.

Jim Underwood
03-20-2015, 5:13 PM
Love to see the tutorial on the wheels. I've been meaning to make some cars or trucks or something like, for a while. Just haven't done it yet...