PDA

View Full Version : 1960's Craftsman 9 inch Table Saw Paint and Restore or leave as is?

Bill George
03-15-2015, 2:31 PM
Got a Craigslist find, motor was bad. All it needed was bearings and the starting switch cleaned. It is a 1960 all steel, cast iron and aluminum.... no plastic.
So do I clean it up (already done) and leave the OEM rusted in places gold looking paint as is or clean it all off and repaint as close to OEM color or does it matter? The patina sometimes add value to a vintage item.

The saw works fine.

Myk Rian
03-15-2015, 3:36 PM
Some (like myself) strip them to bare metal and repaint. Others just clean them. It's your choice, not ours.

Bill George
03-15-2015, 5:22 PM
Some (like myself) strip them to bare metal and repaint. Others just clean them. It's your choice, not ours.
Well I did not want to ruin any collectors value, that's why I asked. Yes, I know its my choice, just thought I would check with an expert.

Rich Riddle
03-15-2015, 8:51 PM
Well I did not want to ruin any collectors value, that's why I asked. Yes, I know its my choice, just thought I would check with an expert.

If memory serves correctly, the gold color was made for three years, between 1959 and 1961 to celebrate Craftsman's golden anniversary. That said, there was no shortage of them made. I had a complete shop of them when initially starting woodworking. They don't command a premium. The gold is more of a bronze.

Ed Aumiller
03-15-2015, 9:36 PM
If you bought it to fix and resell, the original paint will probably be more valuable..
If you bought it to fix and use... Your choice...

Mike Schuch
03-16-2015, 2:52 AM
Have you ever restored an old machine before? If you haven't you might want to stay away from restoring it... it can be very habit forming!

Your craftsman table saw isn't your mothers 200 year old dinning set... there isn't a lot of value in it that you are going to ruin by painting it any way you want (Some guys like the original look and some like a completely custom look). What ever you decide to do tools are happiest when they get used!

scott spencer
03-16-2015, 7:19 AM
There's not a ton of value in those saws anyway. I'd make it the way you want it. I've seen some pretty nice original restorations. IMO, it'd be kinda of a shame to paint it florescent orange though!

Bill George
03-16-2015, 7:39 AM
Thanks guys, I have some left over hammer finish, kind of gold / bronze looking paint. When I get time I will get it done.