PDA

View Full Version : Help For Cleaning Up The Trim

Dick Brown
03-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Hi,
I just bought a Craftsman 103.27270 "Floor Saw" built by King-Seely about mid 1950's. Looks like it will be a gem when restored. My question is how to clean the aluminum face piece that has the neat feathery pattern without removing the pattern. I have tried on several old Craftsman's and always mess it up. Any ideas?? I think it can be done by looking on Vintage Machinery as per the one linked to below.
Thanks for any help you can give me,
Dick

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=17314

Mike Schuch
03-15-2015, 12:04 AM
It looks like polish and a cloth should do the job. Anything more abrasive looks like it would ruin the pttern. I woulld probably spray some laquer on it when you are done to keep the aluminum from oxidizing again.

Patrick Walsh
03-15-2015, 6:52 AM
Couldn't you spray it with some kind of clear like a conversion varnish.

i have exactly the guy to ask as to exactly what product to use if you do want to go that route.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-15-2015, 11:42 AM
That's called jeweling, pretty easy to do I hear. Takes a buffer tool and a drill press in a pattern. Gunsmithing sources carry the supplies. There are also acid based aluminum cleaners that are designed to remove oxidization and grime. Google aluminum brightener or go to an auto/truck store.

Myk Rian
03-15-2015, 3:38 PM
That's called jeweling,
Or engine turning. Soap and water. Nothing more to clean it.