PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 160 setup

Kevin Jenness
03-14-2015, 8:39 PM
I recently bought an old green monster 16" planer with onboard jointer and grinder. I thought it was a plug and play deal, but it turned into a bit of a project what with replacing the bearings and tuning up and adjusting the chipbreaker to allow smooth feeding. The whole saga can be found here http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158757. The OWWM site is a great resource which I highly recommend to anyone working with an old machine like this.

The process was more involved than planned, but the outcome is really good. With the jointed head and a 10 degree face bevel on the knives, I am getting a finish virtually as free of tearout as a Byrd head with almost undetectable snipe. Obviously I will spend more time sharpening than with a helical head, but I am not doubling the cost of the machine either.

Steven Satur
03-14-2015, 8:45 PM
There you go. You don't need no stinking Byrd head
Another plus for vintage machines.

Andrew Hughes
03-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Wow 10 degrees is a lot. Just 5 on my Oliver's head gets me by.Its nice to be able to adjust the knives to cut just right.I have been facing hickory now since Christmas.Ill be glad when it done.Aj

Todd Burch
03-15-2015, 5:31 AM
Good job.

But… not a single picture. Shame on you. ;)

Kevin Jenness
03-22-2015, 9:08 PM
309726Finally found a working camera Here is the planer in service.