PDA

View Full Version : White streaks on Cabinet doors sprayed with Watco satin Lacquer

Ken Glass
03-14-2015, 6:18 PM
Hey All,
I have put on three coats of Watco Satin Spray Lacquer on stained Oak cabinet doors, waiting the recommended two hours before re-coating and the finish always dries with white streaks. I always used Deft spray sating lacquer before and never had problems, I even sanded with 320 before reocat the last time and still white streaks. Any ideas? The temperature might have been 63-65, but no cooler.

Jamie Schmitz
03-15-2015, 12:06 AM
I would question the spray equipment. Silica is used to produce a satin sheen generally and I am wondering if your spray gun was leaving heavy areas on the edges. Also make sure and stir it well to lift the silica from the bottom.

Ken Glass
03-15-2015, 8:37 AM
Jaime,
I was using rattle can Watco Satin Lacquer.

Steve Jenkins
03-15-2015, 8:45 AM
Sounds like blushing. Rattle can lacquer is really sensitive to humidity. High humidity can cause blushing if the coats are heavy. You might be able to spray some lacquer retarder on them and get it to go away. If you can find it its sold as no blush or anti blush or similar. It is just a slow lacquer thinner in an aerosol can.

Herb Stoops
04-30-2015, 6:27 PM
Hey All,
I have put on three coats of Watco Satin Spray Lacquer on stained Oak cabinet doors, waiting the recommended two hours before re-coating and the finish always dries with white streaks. I always used Deft spray sating lacquer before and never had problems, I even sanded with 320 before reocat the last time and still white streaks. Any ideas? The temperature might have been 63-65, but no cooler.

I have just ruined a aromatic cedar (Tennessee Cedar) jewel box I just made, from the same stuff. I didn't seal first as I wanted to try and keep the beautiful colors as natural as possible and sprayed one coat . When I dried it was dusty white and so I went ahead a sprayed on another coat, the white disappeared when it was wet , but came back whiter than ever.
So the next day It took me most of the day stripping off the lacquer with Acetone on a rag and then letting dry and going over it again and again til I couldn't remove any more. Then after it was dry I coated the whole thing with brush on Water base Poly and it still shows tiny places of white. that I can't get to to fix. Just have to do, I guess, I am very disappointed after all the work I put into it.
Herb