PDA

View Full Version : Early Knock on the Door

Jim Koepke
03-14-2015, 4:46 PM
Dang, no pictures were taken so it may seem a dream.

Yesterday while working in the shop, I turned around and my neighbor's sons were standing there. Conner the oldest is about 12. He was holding a box of "carving chisels" a friend of his father had and wanted to get out of his garage.

Conner wants me to teach him about working wood. First step, sharpen some of his chisels. They are an inexpensive "Made in China" set with somewhat soft steel.

He was shown some of my planes and chisels in use and given a quick mentoring in the various ways of sharpening in the short time he and his brother Evan stayed. My ability to remember which is which is due to them being born in alphabetical order.

When asked if their father had any sharpening stones or a grinder, they didn't know. They enjoyed looking at my hand crank grinder and mentioned wanting to buy it. My reply was to point out the broken piece and explain why they would do better to save their money for something in better condition.

When Conner saw how a plane works, he was very excited and said he wants to get some of those. Then he asked why there were so many in my shop. There was some 'splainin' to do.

This morning while sitting in my robe enjoying some coffee and the News programs Candy, my late sleeping wife detests, there was a soft knock on the door.

It was Evan on the porch and Conner by the gate under an umbrella. They were also carrying an odd looking plane, and some other things and asked if they should come back. I said, give me a minute to get dressed.

They had a small hand crank grinder. It was noisy but well improved just by a few drops of oil. It even had a decent tool rest.

So the plane was an odd ball. Had to look it up by the patent number on its lever cap. It is a #3 size Shelton plane with the lateral and depth adjuster built into the lever cap.

The blade is terribly pitted and the sole has some deep pock marks of rust. He said it came from his "dad's father.

He was shown how to lap it on my "lapping bench." We had to change the abrasive paper. I went and worked the blade. After checking a few things and some work we noticed Evan was no longer with us. Soon, he was back with Ryan, the boy's father. He said it was time to go. They had an appointment in town with their tax accountant.

So the plane still needs a bit of work, but it did make a few shavings and Conner expressed his excitement at that.

Looks like I may have an apprentice…

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
03-14-2015, 4:52 PM
Good story this. It's difficult to get the young ones interested in woodworking so when they show initiative you need to strike.

I'd like to hear how this progresses.

Bruce Page
03-14-2015, 4:57 PM
Great story! The world needs more woodworkers!

Frederick Skelly
03-14-2015, 5:01 PM
Good story this. It's difficult to get the young one interested in woodworking so when they show initiative you need to strike.

I'd like to hear how this progresses.

+1. Yes, please keep us posted Jim!

Malcolm Schweizer
03-14-2015, 5:45 PM
Knowledge is wasted if not passed on. Well done.

Jim Koepke
03-14-2015, 5:52 PM
keep us posted

Will do.

Here is something that Conner also liked. It was a quick side project from something seen on Youtube:

This one has not gone trough the paint splatter and roughing up process to make it look like an old piece of scrap saved only for the angle markings or whatever.

Turn it around and you see this:

Conner was looking all over my shop. He said he was trying to imagine other places with secret compartments. Maybe this guy has some possibilities in the making of cabinets.

Here is the link to the 2X4 with a drawer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7pLMOLvh20

It was one that came up on the page following the link someone posted in the Off Topic forum, "King Frederick William's Desk."

jtk

Lee Reep
03-14-2015, 5:56 PM
Jim,
Your title had me worried ... thought you had a near-death experience. :p

Great story! I have young grand daughters and wonder if they might be interested in woodworking when they get a little older. I've been flying model rockets since I was about 12 and still have lots of models, parts, and motors. I figure they may bite on flying rockets, and possibly woodworking. I worry about kids these days, and whether any of them will really get excited about learning to use a few tools and making things with their hands.

bob blakeborough
03-14-2015, 6:39 PM
That is really cool! I like stories like this...

Stew Denton
03-14-2015, 8:30 PM
Jim,

Looks like if Conner was looking someone to apprentice to, he found an good one.

Stew

Jim Koepke
03-14-2015, 8:52 PM
Jim,

Looks like if Conner was looking someone to apprentice to, he found an good one.

Stew

Thanks for the kind words Stew, I hope you are right.

jtk

Paul Sidener
03-14-2015, 9:32 PM
Wonderful story, I hope it isn't over.

Bill Houghton
03-14-2015, 9:55 PM
Way nifty! You're going to have fun!

Jeff Ranck
03-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Jim:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I tell all the kids in the neighborhood that I have a pretty "open shop" policy and am happy to help them out or show them things about woodworking. I tend to get the cub scouts coming by to help out with a pine wood derby car or whatever. I always hope that something will stick. My own interest was generated when I was pretty young when a friend's father helped us build a rubber band gun that had a real trigger and didn't rely on a clothespin (like most of ours did). Later I built a skateboard since we couldn't afford to buy one. Just cutting the thing out of plywood with a saw and attaching wheels to the bottom seemed somehow magic to me. To this day I still remember how to put that rubber band gun together.

Jeff.

Jim Koepke
03-15-2015, 12:41 PM
To this day I still remember how to put that rubber band gun together.

That could be a fun project. Maybe make some to sell at the farmers market as "Marksman's Fly Swatters."

jtk

Jeff Ranck
03-16-2015, 12:12 PM
That could be a fun project. Maybe make some to sell at the farmers market as "Marksman's Fly Swatters."

jtk

I could probably do a quick sketch. The project only has two pieces, but does require a bit of shaping. How hard could it be if a couple of pretty young kids could put them together?

Jeff.

Jeff Ranck
03-16-2015, 12:14 PM
The project only has two pieces,

Jeff.

or three depending on how the handle goes on.

Harold Burrell
03-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Man, that is way cool.

I'm thinking your next lesson should be in regards to pocket screws.

(Please do not stone me. That was a weak attempt at humor.)

Jim Koepke
03-16-2015, 1:43 PM
I could probably do a quick sketch. The project only has two pieces, but does require a bit of shaping. How hard could it be if a couple of pretty young kids could put them together?

Jeff.

It would be fun to try. It would likely build Conner and Evan's interest.

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-16-2015, 1:45 PM
I'm thinking your next lesson should be in regards to pocket screws.

Send me the equipment and it will be used. :D

I don't have any pocket screw joinery knowledge other than what has been seen on videos.

jtk

Harold Burrell
03-16-2015, 3:22 PM
Send me the equipment and it will be used. :D

I don't have any pocket screw joinery knowledge other than what has been seen on videos.

jtk

Yeah...you would be welcome to it.

I have the little Kreg thing. You know, that "single hole", under $20 gizmo that they sell at the BORG. I have used it a very few times...but it feels oh so very much like cheating.

I also feel as though (whenever I have used it) that I need to come here for some sort of "confession and penance".

Jim Koepke
03-16-2015, 3:29 PM
You know, that "single hole", under $20 gizmo that they sell at the BORG.

Those are just an attempt to get people hooked.

Conner asked me about making square holes. So I showed him how a mortise chisel works.

Not sure what joinery to get him to make first. Currently my potting bench building has me making a lot if half lap joints.

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
03-16-2015, 3:53 PM
I also feel as though (whenever I have used it) that I need to come here for some sort of "confession and penance".

Say twenty Hail Schwartzs and sharpen two plane blades. Your sins will be forgiven.

Jeff Ranck
03-16-2015, 6:48 PM
It would be fun to try. It would likely build Conner and Evan's interest.

jtk

I roughed (very, very roughed) out the way the thing goes together. I don't really have a place to post it, so I can try to email it to you or get it to you in some other way. Maybe others would be interested in the project, but I'm not quite sure how to share it here.

Let me know and I'll get it to you.

Jeff.

Harold Burrell
03-16-2015, 7:03 PM
Those are just an attempt to get people hooked.

It did not work on me. I've had it for a few years and I have yet to use up the screws that came with it.

Jim Koepke
03-16-2015, 8:58 PM
I roughed (very, very roughed) out the way the thing goes together. I don't really have a place to post it, so I can try to email it to you or get it to you in some other way. Maybe others would be interested in the project, but I'm not quite sure how to share it here.

Let me know and I'll get it to you.

Jeff.

It would be fine by me if you posted it here.

As if often the case, Conner's school bus drops him off at about the same time as my walk out to the road to check the mail. Today when he got of the bus he said he didn't have any homework. So I invited him over and said to bring his plane. He only had an hour so I explained in the old days the apprentice in the shop had to learn all the skills that didn't pay like sharpening. He thought the idea of being an apprentice was kind of cool. He mentioned being an apprentice a few times. So I found an old Stanley #60 style chisel that needed some work and showed him how to sharpen on an India stone, followed by a Washita or soft Arkansas and then a hard Arkansas stone.

In the mean time I was working on getting his plane to work a little better. The adjustment isn't as fine as what I am used to with a Stanley/Bailey.

He was able to get the chisel pretty sharp. He was also able to make a few shavings with his plane. He actually saved a couple. After he made a few shavings I showed him a piece of candle wax and rubbed it on the sole of his plane. He was amazed at how much easier it was to push over the wood.

By that time the hour his mom said he could be out was done and he had to go home. He is not sure if he will be able to come by again before the weekend, but we will see.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
03-16-2015, 9:26 PM
Jim, you should ask your wife to get a picture of you two working together. It would be a charming keepsake for him and/or his folks, especially if he helps make the frame. You could let him use a miter box and an old backsaw, with a piece of molding. :)

Jeff Ranck
03-17-2015, 10:42 AM
It would be fine by me if you posted it here.

jtk

OK, so here's a try. I've done a capture of the screen of a real rough sketchup drawing. Lots of shaping and a few clearance issues to work out, but here's the basic idea of how it goes together in its simplest form. You could do a lot like put a spring under the trigger between the handle and the trigger so as to "reset" the trigger after it is depressed. Or any number of other things. However, this is what we made when I was about 10 or so.

Jeff.

Jim Koepke
03-17-2015, 1:30 PM
Thanks Jeff. Maybe I should talk to his parents before we venture off on this project.

Jim, you should ask your wife to get a picture of you two working together.

Maybe of me standing sternly over him with a yard stick?

Maybe just of him making a few shavings.

Before posting them, I would want his parent's permission.

Of course maybe I could do my regular "faceless woodworker" photos of him and me working on something together.

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Conner and Evan have been buy a couple of times since my last post on this. It may be that Conner has to bring Evan along if he wants to come over. I haven't asked.

Evan gets bored. He started sweeping the floor while Conner was being shown how to sharpen his carving tools. After they left, I noticed a big pile of sawdust and shavings for me to clean up. The shop is still a comfortable mess.

Yesterday when they came over I was close to finishing some dowels being made for my potting bench project. They were shown how the grain is straighter in riven wood. They were also shown my mini-froe and given a demonstration on some firewood with my large froe. They were given a short piece of store bought dowel to flex and then one of the dowels of oak just being made. They were impressed with the same size dowel being much stronger.

One of the amazing things about teaching is the teacher also learns. For sometime I have not been able to find a real reason for a skew chisel for carving. When we were looking at Conner's skew chisel, I decided to use mine since it is sharp. I told him a skew seemed more useful on a lathe. As very thin shavings were coming off the scrap Conner said, "it looks like it isn't doing anything." I brushed the shavings off of the wood and told him to watch for shavings. Then told him that it is likely a good tool for clearing the field of a carving. So I learned a little about using a skew chisel for carving.

Some of the "carving chisels" seem more like lathe tools than carving tools. There are a few chisels all the same size that look like they are mortise chisels. The tops are hooped, which seems strange for carving tools. But they still work to an extent. After we got a few sharp both of them were enjoying being able to make round channels in a piece of scrap wood.

Trying to explain the use of a plane and the difference between his single iron economy plane and a double iron plane is a bit difficult when talking to a 12 (soon to be 13) year old.

Conner planed off the saw marks on a piece of scrap about 2' long. Even wanted to take a turn. Conner is pretty good about taking a full length shaving without stopping. Evan had a problem with stopping and starting. This was actually good because then there was clear marks on the wood from where the cut was interrupted.

They mentioned they won't be able to come over on week ends.

jtk

Martin Shupe
03-22-2015, 12:46 AM
OK, please don't take this the wrong way.

I have worked quite a bit with the Boy Scouts. They have a strict policy of 2 adults present whenever children are around. This is to prevent child predators, but it also protects the adults from false accusations.

I would suggest that you invite the boy's father to come and spend time in the shop with the boys when they come over. He can learn as well, and as he gets to know you, he might feel more comfortable with the situation. I only say this because it seems like the parents don't want the one boy at your house without the other.

Don't get me wrong, I think what you are doing is great. It is a shame that I have to even bring this up, the only reason I do is to protect you.

My shop is still not "set up", it seems I have been too busy with work and Scouts these past 15 years or so, and now my kids are teenagers or in college and don't have time to spend with dad. I hope someday I can finally get my dream shop finished, and then I can invite my future grand children to "play in the shop with grandpa".

I envy you and what you are doing for these children, just be careful, that's all I am saying.

Jim Koepke
03-22-2015, 3:24 AM
just be careful, that's all I am saying.

Martin,

Thanks for your concern. Those issues had not crossed my mind. This time of year the roll up door is always wide open.

The boys father did come down to my shop the first time the boys came down. He came in to tell them it was time to come get ready to go into town. He does chainsaw carving. He is also welcome to come down with or without the kids. He is the neighbor that had to cut a cherry tree that fell in the night at the front of my place and blocked the drive. I made him a fish whacker from some of the wood.

jtk

Prashun Patel
03-22-2015, 5:16 AM
Those kids are right lucky. Wish I was 12 and lived next door to you. I am glad I found the creek biz of folks like you, Jim.

Jim Koepke
03-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words Prashun.

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-28-2015, 9:29 PM
I didn't expect to see Conner today, but while reading the news on my computer my wife informed me there was a visitor at our door to see me.

My attention has been to get a potting bench done for the start of the farmers market next weekend. Conner was happy to have a little attention as he was most interested in the art of removing wood from a large piece and ending up with a smaller piece that looks nice.

He was using on of his chisels to round over the edges on a small scrap of wood. I told him if he was careful he could use one of my chisels. He was amazed at the difference between his an mine.

He also got to use my veiner gouge. He said that is at the top of his list for what he wants.

He made a piece with a heart and some curlycue artwork with the initials of a young girl he likes at school. I lightly teased him about how she is going to cherish it for the rest of her life and will likely end up marrying him. He laughed.

As my work progressed I showed him a few different things about clocking screws and such with a little history of gunsmiths and such. I also told him to look for them in places where electricians have done it. I told him some electricians do this so they can tell if anyone has been messing in places where shouldn't they shouldn't be messing.

He also got a little education on vise wracking and different types of drill bits.

Trying to start a foundation for him to build on.

jtk

Tom Stenzel
03-29-2015, 12:10 AM
I wanna come over and play!

Before you answer that Jim, you need to be aware that I'm the kid that asks the annoying questions. Like if planes work so much better with wax on the bottom then why don't they just make the planes out of wax? And other dreadful things like that.

With all of the offers you've made to members to stop by your shop to try out tools if 1% took you up on the offer your house would look like an episode of a Bob Newhart sitcom.

:)

Sounds like your apprentice is a goodun'. Have fun!

-Tom

Jim Koepke
03-29-2015, 1:08 AM
I'm the kid that asks the annoying questions.

That is when a research assignment is issued. Maybe a test to see how long it takes for the wax to wear away.

With all of the offers you've made to members to stop by your shop to try out tools if 1% took you up on the offer your house would look like an episode of a Bob Newhart sitcom.

That wouldn't be too bad, Newhart is one of my long time favorites.

And if I awoke to find it all a dream and my first wife was next to me that's okay because she still is my first and only wife.

jtk

Martin Shupe
03-29-2015, 6:17 PM
Jim, you are making great memories for that kid, keep it up.

I can see him going around his house, looking for screws to clock!

Jim Koepke
03-29-2015, 6:28 PM
Today I called up to his house because I wanted him to see how molding can be made by hand. He brought the piece he made yesterday.

He did a bit more work on it and then wanted some sand paper to smooth it. He took an old piece of 180 and a fresh piece of 400.

He had brother Evan and a friend with him.

jtk

Chuck Hart
03-30-2015, 12:01 AM
Jim this could make a real Huck Finn short story. I wish one of my 6 grandsons would show that kind of interest. Have fun

mike mcilroy
03-30-2015, 12:33 AM
And if I awoke to find it all a dream and my first wife was next to me that's okay because she still is my first and only wife.

How about Suzanne Pleshette? ;)

Jim Koepke
03-30-2015, 12:36 AM
How about Suzanne Pleshette? ;)

Nope, never married her. She played the wife in the first series to which I was reminiscing as she was also in the last episode of the second series.

jtk

Rod Sheridan
04-13-2015, 8:21 AM
Magical moments Jim, well done...................Rod.

Pedro Reyes
04-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Jim,

Kid sure is lucky to be your neighbor, so cool you are sharing your knowledge and time. I envy both of you. My dad did very well teaching me about tools and being "handy" around the house, but not in the woodworking trade, wish I had the awesome experience the kid is having and I wish later in my life someone comes up to me so I can share whatever I learn from now till then.

/p