PDA

View Full Version : How do you spell stress?.....F O R K-L I F T

Robert Tarr
08-02-2005, 9:15 AM
Well, this is the next chapter in my shop building process ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20225 ) and I thought I would share it with you.

I rented a forklift to get my tools upstairs and also to unload a new tool off of the delivery truck (MM FS35 Smart). Everything went well, but it has been a few years since I have driven a forklift and this one had a mostly shot clutch, so I was a bit nervous in hauling my precious heavy metal upstairs.

Mr. Becker dropped by to lend a hand and take a few shots of the process. My dear wife also gave me a hand in the pallet removal process.

Lastly, you will see shots of the "old" 8" jointer being taken down...the new beast makes this thing look downright petite.

I am going to try to have the spray in insulation guys out next week and then the process of replacement windows begins then drywall...get this place buttoned up, before the first frost hits (I have to keep thinking cool thoughts, if you can't tell in the pictures, I am soaked through with sweat...long hot day.)

More to come.

Robert

Robert Tarr
08-02-2005, 9:18 AM
couple more pics

Jim Becker
08-02-2005, 9:27 AM
Ah, yes...those pictures do look familiar... ;) And yes, he was sweating "just a little"... ;)

Between this shop and Joanne's new place, I'm seriously considering new real estate to "keep up with the Creekers..."...hee hee :D :D :D :D

Anyway, the FS35 Smart, which is the replacement model for the FS350 I have, is a sweet machine. It's a 14" jointer/planer combo for those of you not familiar with the product line. I have no doubt that it will fit very well into Robert's workflow as well as mine has in my shop.

John Miliunas
08-02-2005, 9:35 AM
Ahhh, so Jim B. was just there supervising, huh? Must be rough. Standing around watching the LOYL working while he slaves away hitting the shutter release!:eek: (JK!:) ) Hey, a worthy gloat! Yeah, I can see no other way of swapping equipment like that in/out. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new piece! Keep us updated on the shop project!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
08-02-2005, 9:39 AM
John, I will admit to arriving after they started 'cause I had some conference calls, but I did lend a little elbow grease to get the "big machine" off the pallet and then load the "little" 8" Yorkcraft onto another pallet (we lifted it...). The pay was low (a banana and sip of Gatoraide) but that was to be expected...I pay similar for services rendered. :D

He has to remove the cosmoline himself, however... ;)

Keith Starosta
08-02-2005, 9:54 AM
Pretty cool, Robert. :D ;)

What are you doing with the "old" 8" jointer?

Keith

Bob Noles
08-02-2005, 9:55 AM
Robert,

Great going and good thinking on moving that stuff around. I got all stressed just looking at the pictures :eek:

I thought you said Jim B lent a hand..... guess I'd better look at those pics one more time :p

Robert Tarr
08-02-2005, 9:56 AM
On top of a bad clutch, I had to also swing into the grass a bit with hard tires meant for hard surfaces....stressfull when you start to spin the tires...

The one picture I wish Jim had gotten was me lifting up one end of the J/P combo...but, luckily, he was there to help lower the jack....thanks again Jim.

Robert Tarr
08-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Pretty cool, Robert. :D ;)

What are you doing with the "old" 8" jointer?

Keith

Keith,

I sold my old jointer, 12" planer and 1.5HP Onieda cyclone as one lot. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new cyclone that can move enough air to handle the longer runs in the new shop and the demands of this beast.

This was an expensive addition to the shop, but I think I will get years of use out of it (I better...)

The forklift was a godsend and cheap in retrospect. $144 for 4 hours and $100 for deliver (that part still burns me a little, as they are 4 miles away...$25 a miles is steep...)

Mark Singer
08-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Great stuff! Looks like a wonderful shop!

lou sansone
08-02-2005, 11:51 AM
best wishes. nice to have a fork truck to move the heavy stuff around. let us know how you like all of the new equipment

lou

Chris Padilla
08-02-2005, 1:21 PM
I love the use of the forklift to get that stuff up the stairs! I'll have to file that one away for later on.... BTW, nice haul of equipment you got there!

Jeff A. Smith
08-02-2005, 3:39 PM
Why didn't you just carry the stuff up? I mean... you DID have two people helping you, right!?!?!?

Just kidding, of course...

You sure have a nice looking place, and enough machinery there to make most anyone envious. Glad everything went okay!

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Richard Wolf
08-02-2005, 3:49 PM
Well the good news is, no one is going to be able to steal the machines!!
Nice work place, also nice to get the wife to help!

Richard

Christian Aufreiter
08-02-2005, 3:53 PM
Wow, great machines. How about a shop tour?

Christian

Robert Tarr
08-02-2005, 3:56 PM
Richard,

If someone can get those tools down, after getting by the dog and then manhandling them down, I am sure not going to mess with them....

Jeff,

A buddy and I brought the 8" jointer up the stairs. He is about as big a mule as I am, and I brought the 14" bandsaw up myself (those things are heavy) and decided for the MM16 and other toys, er, tools, a forklift was a cheap and effective option.

Thanks for looking.

RT