PDA

View Full Version : Bit the bullet

alex grams
03-13-2015, 8:35 PM
I bit the bullet today and ordered a Robust American Beauty. I had been doing a lot of bigger projects lately, but caught up on everything over christmas and had several days of nothing but turning. I forgot how much I really enjoyed turning, and I love the natural edge/non symmetric pieces, but my nova DVR xp (even mounted on a massive bench) had issues with offbalanced loads, so I looked at upgrading. I kept going back and forth on the 3520b and robust/oneway 2436, but a bonus at work surpassed my expectations, and I went ahead and got the robust.

Nothing special, about the only extra was the tilt away and auxiliary power strip.

The nova DVR xp sold in 2 day even at 80% of what I paid, so now I have to wait 6 weeks for the robust to arrive... this wait is going to kill me!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2015, 8:48 PM
Congratulations Alex! I turned on one in a northern Houston suburb a few years ago. They are a sweet machine!

charlie knighton
03-13-2015, 10:09 PM
congratulations, enjoy

Roger Chandler
03-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Well, if you are going to bite the bullet............that is certainly doing it in style! Congratulations! I have turned on a friends Robust American Beauty, and it is a fine piece of equipment! you will love it!

Jeffrey J Smith
03-13-2015, 10:22 PM
so now I have to wait 6 weeks for the robust to arrive... this wait is going to kill me!
Congrats Alex - That six weeks will feel like 6 months...but you're going to be happy when the wait is over. I had to wait nearly 4 months to get mine. I'll predict right now that, after you've used it for 3 months, you're going to find the tilt away alone is worth the price of the whole lathe. I would recommend the 3hp option and the JT turning tools vacuum adapter if you can swing them. Doesn't add much percentage-wise, but worth it.

Steve Doerr
03-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Alex, congratulations and welcome to the club!! Got my AB back in the fall and it is a great machine. I would also recommend the 3HP. After I got mine I ordered the steady rest. It is really nice and well made. Also worth the money. At some point I'll probably get the JT vacuum adapter. You will really enjoy turning on the AB. I just finished a 16" natural edge walnut bowl, it handled it like it like a champ. Be patient, it will be here before you know it.

alex grams
03-13-2015, 11:36 PM
I did get the 3hp option, I forgot to mention that. I didn't plan on getting the tilt-away, but the 'try it for free for 6 months and just return it if you don't like it' sales pitch seemed just silly to say no to. I asked Deb how many people actually return the tilt-away and she said she can't remember anyone ever actually returning it after the trial period.

The 3hp was one of the main reasons I went up from the 3520b and was looking at the robust vs american beauty. I've never used a sliding headstock, but from the dozens of threads on here talking about it, it was one of the main features people kept raving about and always pointing out, so that was the main tipping point of the AB vs the Oneway.

yeah.... 6 weeks... ouch

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2015, 1:01 AM
Congrats Alex! I have been turning on mine since October 2011 and love it even more than when I first got it! You will love the swing-away and the 3 hp motor can turn some really big chunks of wood! Be sure to post some photos when the lathe is finally up and running! Welcome to the club!!

Joe Bradshaw
03-14-2015, 8:29 AM
You the man Alex. I don't have the AB, but my girlfriend and I both have Libertys. I have had mine since Nov. of 2011 and she got hers this past Feb. As others have said,you will really enjoy it. On delivery day, have a couple of friends and several crowbars. The shipping crate is really put together good.
Joe

Pat Scott
03-14-2015, 9:03 AM
Congratulations. You can spend the next 6 weeks asking yourself why you were in such a hurry to sell your old lathe! :):)

David Gilbert
03-14-2015, 9:21 AM
Congratulations on your new lathe. I have a JT Turning tilt-away on my 3520b and can't imagine going without it. You won't be sending yours back.

I have an idea for your shop activities for the next six weeks. You have a great opportunity to clean and reorganize your shop since you won't have any turning distractions.

Cheers,
David

Steve Huffman
03-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Congratulations indeed! No experience on one but I hear that's quite the machine and your sure to enjoy turning on it.

Hayes Rutherford
03-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Alex, when figuring your purchase, was anything included with the lathe like tool rest, live center, face plate? I couldn't tell from the Robust web site.

Thom Sturgill
03-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Color me Jealous! I have thought about getting the Liberty as an upgrade to my Jet 1642. My turning is so diverse I am thinking about the Oneway 1220 as a second lathe due to the top speed and construction. If I could talk Brent into making a comparable model....I'd get two Robusts. One Day....

alex grams
03-14-2015, 1:50 PM
hayes.
if you go to the spec sheet on each lathe on their website, it lists the included pieces:
http://www.turnrobust.com/PDF's/AB_Spec_Sheet_20141221.pdf

Robust cup style live center; drive center; Faceplate; 12” comfort toolrest; knock-out rod; manual

I did add a 14" j rest and a large inside curved rest.

Hayes Rutherford
03-14-2015, 6:00 PM
Thanks Alex. I will check it out as am considering one if I sell some other equipment. Bye the way, congratulations.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-14-2015, 7:39 PM
Congrats on the new machine. What a wonderful trio you had to choose from. Only problem is you should have ordered it a couple months ago. You would already have it:)
faust

Bob Bergstrom
03-14-2015, 7:42 PM
I turned on a AB the other day. I put an unbalanced piece on my 3520 and could reach 250 rpm before it started shaking. Put the same piece on the Robust and reached 500 rpm before it even began to vibrate. The legs on the AB are a good 6 to 8 " farther apart and diffidently make it stable. I wonder if anyone has pondered filling the diamond tube with sand. I believe it is closed design but a few holes would allow sand.

alex grams
03-14-2015, 8:17 PM
I actually am going to bolt it down to the slab and be my usual over-engineering self.

David Delo
03-14-2015, 8:58 PM
Since St. Paddy's day is just around the corner, I'm green with envy!

Jeffrey J Smith
03-14-2015, 9:03 PM
I actually am going to bolt it down to the slab and be my usual over-engineering self.
Alex: I had considered bolting mine down (to a concrete floor) but have found that after leveling the bed and settling the legs the way it's described in the manual, it really isn't necessary. Once setup, it's solid as a rock even with blanks that are close to 100 pounds and out of round mounted.

alex grams
03-14-2015, 9:17 PM
Thanks jeffrey, that is even better to know and even more affirmation I made the right choice.

Adrian Anguiano
04-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Has it come in yet? I gotta see this thing in person... its going to be a huge beast i bet. I hope you never move houses :)

alex grams
04-13-2015, 1:17 AM
no.. another 2 weeks left or so... the wait is killing me :( I sold the old DVR XP in about 5 days on craigslist. I thought I was asking high when I listed it for 75% of what I paid. After about 2.5 years of use it effectively cost me about $25/month to use that lathe... Apparently I should have listed it higher, because now I am having to turn down work for people wanting bowls/cigar trays/etc until I can get the new lathe in...

Dan Hintz
04-13-2015, 6:18 AM
I did get the 3hp option, I forgot to mention that. I didn't plan on getting the tilt-away, but the 'try it for free for 6 months and just return it if you don't like it' sales pitch seemed just silly to say no to. I asked Deb how many people actually return the tilt-away and she said she can't remember anyone ever actually returning it after the trial period.

The 3hp was one of the main reasons I went up from the 3520b and was looking at the robust vs american beauty. I've never used a sliding headstock, but from the dozens of threads on here talking about it, it was one of the main features people kept raving about and always pointing out, so that was the main tipping point of the AB vs the Oneway.

yeah.... 6 weeks... ouch

You'll enjoy the tilt-away... just leave enough room to actually tilt the tailstock away as the tail is pretty high (didn't have adequate space i my old shop, so I could only tilt it about 45 degrees). So far, I haven't needed the sliding headstock, but then I haven't tried anything bigger than 25"... it sits at one end and everything else slides to it.

My shop is still down, too, since moving into the new house... I'm getting quite irritable because I don't have a creative outlet.

Reed Gray
04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
I got mine because of the 3 hp motor. Insert Tim the Toolman Taylor protosimian grunts here.... No one makes one with a 5 hp motor... I do really like the tilt away feature for the tailstock. I do slide the tailstock onto the main bed when I use it as I have never been able to get it to line up perfectly with the ways, even by setting/tightening it with the tailstock half on the ways and half on the tilt away. When I got mine, it came with 3 speed range pulleys, and the sliding headstock had 2 nuts you had to use wrenches on to slide the headstock. This is now standard lever operated. I move the headstock a bit for just about every bowl I turn. It is always on the tailstock end, unless I am sanding, and then it is in the middle. I also got the bed extension, and have actually used the full length once or twice. I had Brent help me reprogram the speeds on the lathe. I need the less than 50 rpm for when I am sanding my warped bowls. I need some thing in the 20 rpm range (motor runs cooler when sanding than it does when I turn because I make that sucker WORK!!). He also adjusted the high end speeds too as I turned mostly on the mid range pulley. The low range was too slow for finish cuts, and the mid range was too slow for finish cuts on mid sized bowls too. I think mid range tops out at 2200 rpm. I don't think I have ever used the high end range. Thom, you probably could have your upper range speeds raised on the Liberty. I use mine mostly for bowl instruction, and I think it tops out at 2700 or so. Maybe a bit slow for some spindles, but the motor is surprisingly strong for 2 hp. It has the tilt away also.

robo hippy

Mike Tilley
04-13-2015, 7:54 PM
Alex congrats on your purchase. Was wondering did you buy the long bed or the standard bed? Wasn't sure what most people buy since you can buy the extension. I have been going back and forth between the sweet 16 and the AB. Have held off since I 'am building a new shop to keep it in old shop had way to many moisture problems for me to put a robust in. Just trying to figure out what I want to do.

alex grams
04-13-2015, 10:53 PM
I went with the regular bed. I rarely do long projects, and I can budget that later for the extension if need be..

this thread is not helping my patience, hah :(

Bob Bergstrom
04-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Alex congrats on your purchase. Was wondering did you buy the long bed or the standard bed? Wasn't sure what most people buy since you can buy the extension. I have been going back and forth between the sweet 16 and the AB. Have held off since I 'am building a new shop to keep it in old shop had way to many moisture problems for me to put a robust in. Just trying to figure out what I want to do.
I spent 6 years on a 3520 with the extension and turned 24 to 26" bowls with the extension on the lower level. Always had trouble with vibration of the bolted on extension. I would put my hydraulic tale under it. Helped some. I shyed away from the Sweet 16. Between the banjo being extended with the gap removed and bolts holding the ways in other positions I felt more comfortable with the long bed. I will be limited to 25" but I will be turning on a rock solid base between the support legs. Ships somewhere in end of May. Order the 3 hp. No tilt away.

Jeffrey J Smith
04-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Ships somewhere in end of May. Order the 3 hp. No tilt away.
Bob: quick, get on the phone and call Deb to add the tilt-away. If you haven't done it yet, try hoisting that 25" tailstock a few times and that baby pays for itself in no time. It seems expensive, but the incremental addition to the cost of the lathe is small in the long run. Amen on the rock solid base...just my opinion.

Reed Gray
04-14-2015, 1:05 AM
If you turn bowls, you want the tilt away. If for no other reason, it shares the bearing load with the headstock for when you are roughing and rounding out a blank. I did wear out a set of headstock bearings on my PM3520A in about 5 years. I never used the tailstock. The tilt away takes almost all the work out of it. I am not sure if he changed the design of it or not, but with the Liberty, there is one bed for the tailstock. With my Beauty, there is one bed for the tailstock, and when you tilt it away, there is another short one at 90 degrees to the one the tailstock slides of on to before you tilt it away. I have bumped my hip on it several times.

I also have considered filling the diamond tube with sand, and even the spray expanding type foam just to dampen some of the noise. Not important enough to get excited about. It does make different noises than the PM did.

robo hippy

Bob Bergstrom
04-14-2015, 8:45 AM
Bob: quick, get on the phone and call Deb to add the tilt-away. If you haven't done it yet, try hoisting that 25" tailstock a few times and that baby pays for itself in no time. It seems expensive, but the incremental addition to the cost of the lathe is small in the long run. Amen on the rock solid base...just my opinion.
I understand the heft. I lifted the powermatic one plus raising and lowering the extension. I have been turning 40 years over the bed with the lathe against the wall. With the long bed I will rarely take the tailstock off. With the extension on my 3520 in the upper position I never had to take it off, just slide it back ( plenty of room). I removed the pin from my live center years ago so no holes in the elbow. I spent a couple hours in the Robust manufacturing facility and looked closely at the tilt away. Beautiful accessory, but it didn't seem necessary to me.

terry mccammon
04-14-2015, 8:52 AM
Congratulations on your machine. I am very sure you will be very happy with it.

Bob, we are getting to have quite a Robust Club at CWT.

Bob Bergstrom
04-14-2015, 10:38 AM
I turned on Al's before I ordered it. Al even let me dirty up his shop with some inch wide curls. I did leave him some nice cherry blanks though!

alex grams
04-15-2015, 8:17 PM
got the call today it is shipping out tomorrrow, so should be here early next week.

I was expecting to wait another week, so this is early, but somehow knowing it is on the way is going to make the remaining wait unbearably long, hah!

Bob Bergstrom
04-16-2015, 9:56 AM
They told me it would take close to 8 weeks. Bet your not going to sleep much. Time to get excited. Be sure to post pics. Enjoy!!

alex grams
04-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Deb said it was slow for the last month, but they got a rash of orders in. She said they are busying working all of the overtime anyone wants, and they are out to about a 10 week lead time now.

It is nice to hear of a small, ma and pa american company doing well.

Steve Doerr
04-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Alex, be sure and get you helpers lined up. One word of advice on unpacking your AB. DON"T lift it up by the tilt-away. I did that when I was moving mine into the shop and it took for every to get it re-aligned. If you need to pick it up, I would suggest a couple of 4x4's underneath the ways. I picked up a couple of mover's 4 wheel dollies from Harbor Freight and it sure made the process a lot easier. Good luck and keep us posted. Just remember, without pictures, it never happened.

alex grams
04-21-2015, 5:25 PM
hmm, nothing like going home at lunch, signing for the crate, then having to go back to work without having time to open the crate...

I am absolutely useless at work this afternoon....

Bob Bergstrom
04-21-2015, 5:46 PM
Should have whipped out the sawsall and crow bar. Good luck sleeping tonight. Might set up a cot in the shop? I'm having a hard enough time with still 4+ weeks to go.

Jeff Gilfor
04-21-2015, 5:52 PM
You suck!!!

just kiddin. I'm just a "bit" jealous. Good luck, and use it in good health!

Steve Doerr
04-21-2015, 8:47 PM
Definitely a familiar looking crate. I'm impressed that you were able to get it in the shop in one piece. Must have had some mechanical assistance to get it there.

Like Jeff said, enjoy it in good health.

Jeffrey J Smith
04-21-2015, 9:19 PM
Wow - I never got to see mine in the crate - took delivery of after it was as a demo in San Jose (didn't have to pay shipping, did have to shoo Ellsworth off - he was using it for elbow support as he chewed the fat with Brent. Should have asked him to sign it...). A word of warning, though. My experience may be different from yours, but I've found the strength of the vortex pull of a new lathe is directly related to the numbers at the bottom of the invoice. You might want to voluntarily surrender any means of purchasing either on line or in a store to your significant other until you've adapted to the strength of the new force that's sitting in your shop.
Have a great time, and just remember, it was designed to get dirty eventually.

alex grams
04-22-2015, 9:33 AM
I think calling the crate a 'crate' was a massive misnomer... that thing was built more like a wooden vault.

I got it all opened up and moved in to position. I will have to adjust the bandsaw location if I want to do outboard turning,but the 25" swing over bed is probably going to be more than enough for me for a while. I will most likely build some cabinets for above and behind the lathe, and I need to make a new tool storage method. Also I need to mount the vacuum pump somewhere and put the switch in to start/stop it easily.

The wall on the left will get some heavy duty doors in the inset cabinets that will allow me to hang calipers/misc items on the outside of the doors for quick access..

I need to go buy a plug today so I can turn the thing on to test it out.

soo much to do..

Steve Doerr
04-22-2015, 9:52 AM
Alex, it looks good. But it does need a little dust on it so that we know that its not a photoshop, like something out of Hollywood :-D In addition to moving the bandsaw, you may want to consider moving the AB a little more away from your cabinet area. That 3 HP motor and headstock are pretty heavy and it is much easier to push it than to try and pull it when you want to move it on the ways.

alex grams
04-22-2015, 10:05 AM
yeah, you aren't kidding about the headstock being heavy. It is snug in its location, so If I moved it out much I would probably lose functionality of working over the end. I am still playing with possibilities of moving the lathe in general to another location. But I figure 99% of my turning will be vessels at the center of the lathe.

more dust...I know.. I spent most of my evening moving stuff around/breaking down the pallet and didn't have time to actually make anything yet.

Doug Ladendorf
04-22-2015, 3:17 PM
Looking good! What about turning the lathe 90 degrees with tail-stock out?

Doug

alex grams
04-24-2015, 1:29 AM
I am always a stickler for making highly functional work spaces, so I have been running around in my head to come up with some good space optimizing ideas the last few days.

I turned the lathe 90°, built a 4' wide wall that comes out, but leaves enough on the end that the tilt away works, and built a false wall in front of the garage door. I offset the wall about 6", and from the 3rd bay (the wifes spot) I cut a slot so I can slide 4x8 sheet goods in the to 6" gap behind the false wall against the garage door. This also allows me to put recessed cabinets in to the false wall. The cabinet doors are going to be simple framed OSB so I can put in screws to hang tools and such. It will also help a ton on keeping shavings contained. I want to keep the floor as minimal as possible so that everything cleans up easily. I still need to find a place to mount the slow speed grinder for sharpening.

I still need to find a place to mount my vacuum pump and get that wired. And I also have some heavy duty 150# fold down bench hinges that I may put a 12-16" deep shelf below the recessed cabinets. I can fold it up when I need to, and fold it down and away when I dont need it.

I also need to come up with an efficient way to store my turning tools on the wall to my left (when I am working on the lathe). I will probably add another 2x4foot t8 fixture for more lighting. There is also room for another shallow (maybe 8" deep) cabinet along the top

Jeffrey J Smith
04-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Alex - just a thought - I built a cart for my sharpening system (LS Grinder w/ Wolverine, a couple of drawers to store stuff I want handy (chucks, jaws, spare tools and parts that don't get used too often). There's a small carousel style tool holder for tools that I need to get to often. It's on casters so I can roll it around if needed, but for the most part it sits at the headstock end of the AB. The cart has a compartment that holds the vacuum pump in an enclosed space fed by a muffin fan. I'm at work, so I can't go out to the shop and shoot it for you, but it shows at the right hand edge of the photo attached.