PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Delta 50-760 dust collector with super dust deputy

Mike Nguyen
03-13-2015, 1:02 AM
Hi,
I just finished upgrading my Delta 50-760 dust collector with the molded version of Oneida super dust deputy and want to share with everyone who would like to do the same if they have the same dust collector so they don't have to go through researching what to get to make it fits together.

I bought the super dust deputy, the 17 metal drum, and the 6 to 5 inch metal reducer from Woodcraft since they have the 10% off everything couple of weeks ago. The 5 inch hose is from Amazon. It's 10 feet long and cost $52. The hose clamps is from Home Depot and cost $1.89 each. I used 1" conduit from Home Depot cutting 36" long to raise it up so I can have about 4 inches between the top of the super dust deputy and the bottom of the inlet of the dust collector.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/159881/ONEIDA-AIR-SYSTEMS-6-Inch-to-5-Inch-Metal-Reducer-Dust-Collection-Fitting.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W1035-5-Inch-10-Foot-Wire/dp/B0000DD1KI/ref=pd_cp_hi_0
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-in-Stainless-Steel-Clamp-6772595/202309382

The 5 inch hose fits very tight on the metal reducer. It took me 20 minutes just to put in on the reducer. However, the hose fits nicely and easily over the inlet ports of both the dust collector and the super dust deputy.

I am very happy with the suction. I think it's much stronger than my old set up the the baffle and the trash can. Maybe because I am using 5" hose instead of 4" with the old set up. I will still need to add a 4 inch reducer at the table saw for now.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

John Sanford
03-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Nicely done, a definite possibility for me as I've got that same machine. This approach is certainly cheaper than a new cyclone.

Some questions if I may:

What's the total height on that thing?

Do you plan on switching out the upper bag for a HEPA filter?

Have you noticed that it's become exceedingly tippy?

How much flex is there with the height extensions?

Do you have enough clearance in order to easily remove the drum for emptying? It looks pretty tight in there.

Mark Carlson
03-13-2015, 12:23 PM
I think you'll like this setup. I did the same a couple of years ago with the early SDD, back when it came with a 35 gal drum. I also added the wynn filter.

Mike Nguyen
03-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Nicely done, a definite possibility for me as I've got that same machine. This approach is certainly cheaper than a new cyclone.

Some questions if I may:

What's the total height on that thing?
Do you plan on switching out the upper bag for a HEPA filter?
Have you noticed that it's become exceedingly tippy?
How much flex is there with the height extensions?
Do you have enough clearance in order to easily remove the drum for emptying? It looks pretty tight in there.

Hi John,
I copied this setup from Mark Carlson and Jon Nuckles.
1. I don't know the exact total height but my garage is about 9 feet tall and I have a about a foot from to top of the filter to the ceiling.
2. I will definitely switch to the Wynn filter because I don't like to look of the filter bag when it's up that high and for better air flow according to what I've read.
3. I don't think it's tippy but I don't move it.
4. No flex that I can tell but I only finished putting together last night. Mark and Jon used the steel pipe which is more ridgid but I think the 1" conduit will be just fine and cheaper too.
5. Yes, I think I have more than enough clearance to remove the drum to empty. That's the first thing I did after putting everything together.

One thing that I don't like my set up is I cannot have the dust deputy inlet point to the side (right or left) like Mark's set up because the inlet is right at the cross bar of the Delta dust collector. If you use a bigger drum like Mark and Jon, you won't have the problem.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mark Carlson
03-13-2015, 1:03 PM
Mike, I had the same issue with the cross bar getting it the way. I removed it and made a wooden one that I could position right under the inlet.

Hi John,

One thing that I don't like my set up is I cannot have the dust deputy inlet point to the side (right or left) like Mark's set up because the inlet is right at the cross bar of the Delta dust collector. If you use a bigger drum like Mark and Jon, you won't have the problem.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike Nguyen
03-13-2015, 1:08 PM
Mike, I had the same issue with the cross bar getting it the way. I removed it and made a wooden one that I could position right under the inlet.
I think I will do that too.

Jon Nuckles
03-14-2015, 12:39 AM
Looks good, Mike. All credit goes to Mark Carlson. I just copied his design before you did!

Mark Carlson
03-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks but I probably got the idea from someone else:) Too long ago for me to recall.

This thread did get me interested in seeing how much loss occurs when using the SDD. Back then CFM meters were pretty expensive. I just got a decently rated digital Pyle Anemometer for 65$. I want to measure the CFM at the end of my 10 ft 5in run with various scenarios. With SDD, and without SDD. With the filter and without.

Looks good, Mike. All credit goes to Mark Carlson. I just copied his design before you did!

Jon Nuckles
03-14-2015, 2:36 PM
Doing some tests to see how the SDD affects airflow would be interesting. What I had hoped and what a month or two of use has confirmed is that the SDD is keeping my Wynn filter from getting clogged again, so my airflow is much better than it was before adding the SDD to my setup!