PDA

View Full Version : Identify Old German Combination Saw

Sergey Petrov
03-12-2015, 7:12 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me identify the saw in the attached image.

Would an older saw like that be worthwhile for 450USD? I am a diy user and make small proje ts in my garage. Things like boxes, benches, frames. Space should allow for it. I am not sure how much dust extraction is possible with such a saw.

The other option is to buy a new Bosch 4100 with warranty etc.

Thanks in advance.
Sergey

Sergey Petrov
03-12-2015, 7:31 AM
My search suggests it is actually an American Delta 1160. The owner said it is German. Maybe it has a German motor fitted.

Can anyone provide an opinion on these machines? It would be greatly appreciated.

John McClanahan
03-12-2015, 7:52 AM
Looks like a Delta combo to me, too.

John

jack forsberg
03-12-2015, 7:58 AM
German Rockwell.

http://romanslifeblog.blogspot.de/2013/04/vintage-delta-rockwell-table-saw.html

http://www.owwm.org/download/file.php?id=33851&t=1

Rich Riddle
03-12-2015, 8:18 AM
Your kidding on the dust extraction, right? It depends if you want a jointer as well. I own a Bosch 4100 as a job saw but wouldn't want it as the only table saw in the shop. There should be wiggle room in that price. After all, one doesn't get new parts for that machine. Chances are it won't break or need new parts though. You can also update the fence if that one isn't all that great. It has a Grizzly magnetic switch, and magnetic switches are much better than light switches. They ensure the motor doesn't restart if power gets interrupted. What size motor does it have?

Eduard Nemirovsky
03-12-2015, 9:14 AM
I think it is overpriced big deal, at least I would not buy this saw for this money. But everybody different.
Ed.

Rick Whitehead
03-12-2015, 10:12 AM
I had one of these combinations ones, except the jointer was a 4" instead of a 6". They are good machines, solid and well- built. The only drawback is that the table of the saw tilts to allow a bevel cut, instead of the blade tilting. That makes it awkward to cut bevels.
There is a lot of information about these machines on the Old Woodworking Machines Forum: owwm.org
The price seems high to me.I think that about half that price would be reasonable. However, prices vary greatly depending on your location.
If you look at it, check for breaks or cracks in the castings. The tabs at the ends of the trunnions on the saw are often broken off, preventing the table from stopping at 45 degrees.Check the condition of the bearings also.Bearings for both the saw and jointer are fairly inexpensive, but take time to replace. I had to replace all the bearings on both the saw and jointer on mine.
Good luck in yopur search for a saw!
Rick

Sergey Petrov
03-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks so much for the responses guys.

I am an engineer, so i have an idea how to repair potentially troublesome points. However, the points raised make me think that the saw (at the listed price at least) is not really worth my trouble.

The tilting table worries me, as fixing the workpiece would be harder. Also, safety lacks big time on that saw.

Thanks for all responses.

Judson Green
03-12-2015, 3:30 PM
You might wanna look for something like this. Also a Delta product (8" table saw with 4" jointer) but the arbor tilts. I nearly never use the jointer or the table saw for that matter but its built real tough, like a mini unisaw.

I'd definitely pass on the saw you're looking at, that price is ridiculous.

Sergey Petrov
03-12-2015, 3:55 PM
Judson,

I live in Cape Town South Africa. The saw i mentioned is an apartheid era import. Very rare. Currently, we get ryobi, mac afric, dewalt, bosch, makita....

I am working on a doctorate in failure analysis and fitness for purpose. I can fix things that can be fixed. But we have no choice of parts like craiglist etc. I do have many friends in US who i played ice hockey with. They can hrlp. But in the end, i want to make small box joint wi dow seats for my kids not reinvent the Delta Saws.

Chris Padilla
03-12-2015, 4:50 PM
Sergey,

You might want to update your profile with your location...it can be helpful. :)

Judson Green
03-12-2015, 4:55 PM
Judson,

I live in Cape Town South Africa. The saw i mentioned is an apartheid era import. Very rare. Currently, we get ryobi, mac afric, dewalt, bosch, makita....

I am working on a doctorate in failure analysis and fitness for purpose. I can fix things that can be fixed. But we have no choice of parts like craiglist etc. I do have many friends in US who i played ice hockey with. They can hrlp. But in the end, i want to make small box joint wi dow seats for my kids not reinvent the Delta Saws.

Sorry, don't know where you live. Figured most of the audience was US or Canada based.

Good luck

Sergey Petrov
03-12-2015, 5:01 PM
Sorry guys, will do, i have been a long time listener, first time caller!

US and Russian forums are great for WW info. Very little happens otherwise.

Jim Matthews
03-12-2015, 7:46 PM
New motor, parts availability, better tolerances - the new saws are real value for money.
This is a lovely old girl, but she'll need service sooner rather than later.

Where will you get parts, when the time comes?

Myk Rian
03-12-2015, 8:21 PM
Rich and Jim;
You 2 need to remember that USED parts are very plentiful for these machines. Stop being nay-sayers.

As for the OP, $450 is way over priced, even in S. Africa. There are a couple other fellows there that belong to owwm . org
That's where you get the real info on those machines. Not here.

jack forsberg
03-12-2015, 8:28 PM
Rich and Jim;
You 2 need to remember that USED parts are very plentiful for these machines. Stop being nay-sayers.

As for the OP, $450 is way over priced, even in S. Africa. There are a couple other fellows there that belong to owwm . org
That's where you get the real info on those machines. Not here.

I agree that OWWM is the place for delta toy/brand knowledge but if your after German machinery talk it is very lacking. Some what like that 1160. If your going to put time into old Kit get the good stuff and German machines are a fine job of killer OWWM. BTW there is a boat load of vintage UK kit in south Africa. Wadkin kit is some of the finest in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrVyzVpYxI8

Sergey Petrov
03-13-2015, 6:19 AM
I will definitely look into the OWWM forum.

@Jack Forsberg - Jack, you are quite right regarding the Wadkin saws. There is a beautiful blue cabinet saw for sale currently but well outside my budget. It is going used for 1800USD.

Thank you for all the helpful responses.

jack forsberg
03-13-2015, 6:49 PM
I will definitely look into the OWWM forum.

@Jack Forsberg - Jack, you are quite right regarding the Wadkin saws. There is a beautiful blue cabinet saw for sale currently but well outside my budget. It is going used for 1800USD.

Thank you for all the helpful responses.

I am guessing that wadkin is a real saw. for what you need i'd try to find a BGS 10" with slider

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a9/92/a3/a992a3f1bcb74cb971f0716b02c3d44d.jpg