PDA

View Full Version : Help with Feed Roller Marks on Wood with Grizzly G0453P

Mike Tekin
03-11-2015, 9:26 PM
Hi,

I have a 15" Grizzly Planer, G0453P with an upgraded Byrd head in it. From the time I purchased the unit no matter what settings with chip breaker, roller adjustments, etc I can't get rid of the roller marks on wood from the outfeed roller and it takes a little more effort with sanding/hand planing to remove these marks.

I have used a General 14" planer and Powermatic 15 and 20" planerd and this isn't an issue no matter how little wood you remove from each pass. I also noticed that the outfeed rollers on these units are smooth and wonder if that is the price you pay for units almost double the cost.

Any suggestions or anybody been successful removing these marks - how did you do it? I played with the tension springs on the rollers as well and maybe I am not loosening them enough...

With the exception of the paint chipping off and this issue, the planer has been great.

keith micinski
03-11-2015, 9:52 PM
You should be able to loosen your outfeed rollers enough to not leave the fine line marks. The infeed roller is not serrated as much and can also leave marks if you take to light of a pass. I have my rollers set quite a bit softer then the factory setting and don't have any issues.

Ian Scofield
03-11-2015, 9:57 PM
Read the response here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162140-Grizzly-G0453-Adjustment-help

are your marks the slanted ones that are about 1/4" apart (the indeed roller) or the much closer ones that are more straight across the board (the out feed roller)?

Mike Tekin
03-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Hi Ian,

Good question - they are the close together outfeed roller marks.

And, yes, I did research those threads and played with the settings- maybe I am not taking enough tension off the rollers?? How many turns have you loosened the spring tension bolts?

QUOTE=Ian Scofield;2389414]Read the response here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162140-Grizzly-G0453-Adjustment-help

are your marks the slanted ones that are about 1/4" apart (the indeed roller) or the much closer ones that are more straight across the board (the out feed roller)?[/QUOTE]

Ian Scofield
03-11-2015, 10:28 PM
But now you can focus solely on the out feed roller and leave the indeed springs alone. Back out the screws in the top applying tension and also adjust the hex bolts underneath to push it further up.

I'll have to go measure but I will say there are more threads outside the casting then inside. I haven't glued mine but I marked it with a marker so I can tell if it backs out. I'm still tweaking mine as I just got it a few months ago.

Cary Falk
03-11-2015, 10:30 PM
I kept adjusting the outfeed by quarter turns until it wouldn't feed . I then moved it back a quarter turn. It would mark only on the softest of woods. I have since installed rubber rollers and couldn.t be happier. You could also remove the roller and knock the sharp edges off with a file or sandpaper.

Ian Scofield
03-11-2015, 10:31 PM
I kept adjusting the outfeed by quarter turns until it wouldn't feed . I then moved it back a quarter turn. It would mark only on the softest of woods. I have since installed rubber rollers and couldn.t be happier. You could also remove the roller and knock the sharp edges off with a file or sandpaper.

do you have a link to these rubber rollers?

Cary Falk
03-11-2015, 10:52 PM
There was a post last year around 5/24/14 but i can't find it. It is a Delta roller. I had to buy some shims to get them to work. I can look up the part tomorrow if needed.

keith micinski
03-11-2015, 11:10 PM
I also basically did what Cary Did for my tension and also would be interested in these rubber rollers possibly although to be honest with you after I really backed my tension off I really haven't had any problems with marking. One added benefit is everyonce in a while I will have a board I think is flat go through and the I feed roller marks on part of the board tell me that it isn't.

Mike Tekin
03-12-2015, 6:25 AM
Great- I will try this out. Regarding the rubber feed rollers, I wonder if just the smooth outfeed roller from a Jet or Powermatic planer would work

Jim Andrew
03-12-2015, 9:13 AM
Think I would call Grizzly and ask about replacement rollers. When I was visiting with customer service, they said these are rough lumber planers, and they also have finish planers, The G1033 is a finish planer. Of course it is a 20" model, but they might have a different outfeed roller for the 15".

Mike Tekin
03-12-2015, 9:34 AM
I just love it when customer service isnt consistant- I was told just the opposite when I bought my planer:(....

Think I would call Grizzly and ask about replacement rollers. When I was visiting with customer service, they said these are rough lumber planers, and they also have finish planers, The G1033 is a finish planer. Of course it is a 20" model, but they might have a different outfeed roller for the 15".

Mike Tekin
03-12-2015, 9:39 AM
I just love it when customer service isnt consistant- I was told just the opposite when I bought my planer - it leaves a smooth finish that isnt as good as benchtop units but only takes a little touch up with a sander and that the bigger units are heavuer duty and leave a rougher finish...

Also checked and no other rollers- I wonder why all other 15" planers old in the US have smooth or rubber outfeed rollers yet grizzly has them grooved - you think it would be cheaper to manufacture smooth rollers.

glenn bradley
03-12-2015, 9:44 AM
maybe I am not taking enough tension off the rollers??

The machine factory setup is for rough material. The rollers are designed to be adjusted for the type of material to be processed. Grizzly's catalog used to brag on the fast that the feed rollers were "solid serrated steel". I notice that line is conspicuously missing from the 15" planer page now but, still appears on the 20". I get my material at the yard so it is at least skip-planed. This means I can use a much lighter 'touch' on the rollers

I kept adjusting the outfeed by quarter turns until it wouldn't feed . I then moved it back a quarter turn.

I did what Cary did. My adjusters are backed off so far I put a dab of hot glue on them to assure they wouldn't back off further on their own. I have no reason to think they will other than my own paranoia :o. They still have enough grip to drag a car through the planer so I have no concerns about mis-feeds. I now only get minor marks on softer woods like mahogany. They are minor enough that they are removed way before I reach the final surface prep on any parts.

I had looked into the rubber rollers and wish Grizzly would just offer some. Delta parts are few and far between but probably locatable if you have the wherewithal to pursue it. Someone had offered a link to an outfit that makes rubber rollers somewhere in the past. This is a recurring subject generally appearing right after someone gets their first floor standing planer with serrated rollers. I know I asked when I got mine :). The adjustment solution has worked so well I don't even think about it any more until someone else brings it up. then I say to myself "Oh yeah, I had that reaction too".

I cobbled this Poor Man's Rotocator together out of a 1-2-3 block, a Harbor Freight dial indicator and a bolt and knob. It makes the setup very easy.

John C Bush
03-12-2015, 5:05 PM
Hi Glenn, I built a sled for a dial indicator, as shown on the Robert Vaughaun video, and I like the looks of your 1-2-3 block better. Not seen one before. Where can I find one. Thanks, John

Mike Goetzke
03-12-2015, 5:12 PM
I have this planer too and have the same marks at times. Mostly on soft woods and when I take a very light cut. Even though it bothers me I haven't messed with it yet since it takes no time to knock the marks down by sanding.

Mike

Steven Satur
03-12-2015, 5:23 PM
This is the reason why I got rid of the two Asian planers I had, one no name the other a Powermatic. No matter what, those marks drove me crazy. I could not get rid of them no matter what I did. There is no reason why the outfeed rollers need fine serrations.

Mike Tekin
03-12-2015, 5:29 PM
What did you replace them with?

This is the reason why I got rid of the two Asian planers I had, one no name the other a Powermatic. No matter what, those marks drove me crazy. I could not get rid of them no matter what I did. There is no reason why the outfeed rollers need fine serrations.

I also might just find a smooth solid steel outfeed roller feom a Jet or Powermatic assuming these are like for like parts but canr confirm because Grizzly is China and the rest are Taiwanese...

glenn bradley
03-12-2015, 5:35 PM
Hi Glenn, I built a sled for a dial indicator, as shown on the Robert Vaughaun video, and I like the looks of your 1-2-3 block better. Not seen one before. Where can I find one. Thanks, John

Grizzly has a good price on a pair for around $15-$20 IIRC. Other machine-shop supply outfits will have them. Lee Valley includes on in their setup block kit (which I have) but, I find the short bars only marginally useful and so would go with Griz.

scott vroom
03-12-2015, 6:05 PM
I've got the same setup as the OP. I adjusted the rollers and now only get the marks when making a very light cut. I guess I'd prefer no marks ever, but sanding them off really isn't a big deal.

Wade Lippman
03-12-2015, 7:55 PM
FWIW I have the Z and get no marks at all with the factory settings on everything. I wish there was less snipe, but no roller marks. Someday I will try to reduce the snipe, but for the time being I make the last bit of reduction using a drum sander. That would probably get rid of roller marks too. No?

Steven Satur
03-12-2015, 8:33 PM
I found a Rockwell 18" wedge bed planer for $1000. I Love it

Mike Tekin
03-13-2015, 11:33 AM
For those in the know of 15" 4 post planers, do replacing the rollers from other machines constitute a "like for like" change? Or is there modifiations I would need to do? Its hard to tell from various part diagrams...

Cary Falk
03-13-2015, 11:52 AM
From what I know, the delta rubber rollers from the Delta were a direct fit on the Jet. The Delta rollers were slightly shorter then my Grizzly rollers so I had to use some spacers. I would guess that a Jet roller would work(with some spacers) on a Grizzly. I would guess Jet and Powermatic would be the same since they are the same company.