PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/Planer combo Mini-Max FS 350 - used price good ?

julian abram
03-11-2015, 8:34 PM
A local fellow has this 11 year old unit for sell for $1,000. I have not looked at it but picture looks like a clean, well cared for machine. He says it has "issues" vibration in the head, possibly bearings. It's not like I'm in dire need for a unit like this, my Dewalt 735 planer and Jet joiner take care of my needs as a hobby woodworker. But I'm tempted to go look at it, I know these are high quality machines and the space saving would be nice for my small shop. Not sure what can of worms the "vibration issue" would open. I don't have time to get into a long machine rebuilding project. What do you think, worth a look for a $1,000?

Peter Aeschliman
03-11-2015, 8:55 PM
Definitely worth a look at that price.

But I would ask him if he will let you do a little diagnostic work before you agree to buy it...

Run it as is, and observe the vibration. Then remove the belt and run it without the cutter head spinning. See if the belt looks worn. If there's no vibration and the belt is fine, then it's either bearings (not the end of the world), or the cutterhead is somehow out of balance. Out of balance cutterhead might be a walk-away issue, whereas bearings aren't a huge deal.

If there's vibration with the belt removed, then something is wrong with the motor... also a potential walk-away issue.

If he bought the machine new and this issue emerged later, ask him if there were any catastrophic events that caused it, or if it just got worse slowly over time.

If he won't let you fidget with the machine at all, it's a question of risk...

But either way definitely worth a look. It would be a huge step up compared to what you have now.

Rich Riddle
03-12-2015, 8:09 AM
It's a good price. I have the older model and it has the Byrd Shelix head. The machine's a beast. That model year used the Tersa head. The Mini Max FS 350 are about $6000 new, so if you can get it repaired for less than a total of $3000 it's a decent price. And even if the head was the problem, the Shelix head is less than $2000. Bearings or a head would be much cheaper. Anticipate the worst yet hope for the best. During that time frame, it should be the white and blue color scheme. Was it used in production or by a hobby user? Regardless, if it has some issues, plan on replacing all the bearings, which is an easy job if you have a modicum of mechanical ability.

Curt Harms
03-12-2015, 8:51 AM
Definitely worth a look at that price.

But I would ask him if he will let you do a little diagnostic work before you agree to buy it....
.................................................. .....

Don't do too much. If the seller figures out what's wrong he may decide to keep it. :)

Curtis Horswill
03-12-2015, 9:19 AM
I say grab it fast, at that price it won't last long. Buy the mortiser and bits that he has also. If it was about 8 hours closer to me I would already be on my way to get it, fix it and sell it. Funny, just a month ago I drove 24 hours round trip to pick up my Knapp saw/shaper in the same city that the Minimax is for sale. I don't want to do that drive again for awhile.

Prashun Patel
03-12-2015, 9:42 AM
I was considering one used at $2000. I would do it if it's in good shape.

mreza Salav
03-12-2015, 10:18 AM
I have that machine and it's excellent. Even if you have you replace the head and to a Shylx that can be bought for $1300 or $1400. I'd grab it and fix it later.

Joseph Spallina
03-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Sounds like a great deal. I recently purchased the predecessor to that machine (FS35) used for $1000. The previous owner said it needed bearings. Turns out, the shaft had been worn beneath one of the bearings so the new bearings didn't initially fix the problem. Ended up knurling the shaft where it had been worn, which got rid of the vibration. It has been a great workhorse machine for me ever since.

julian abram
03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Guys, thanks for all the input, a lot of good advice given here. I'm trying to make an appointment to look this machine over sometime this weekend.

Chris Padilla
03-12-2015, 12:20 PM
At that price, it is likely gone already.

John Sanford
03-12-2015, 12:43 PM
At that price, it is likely gone already.

:eek: This.

julian abram
03-12-2015, 9:28 PM
I went and looked at this machine this afternoon. This fellow had a very nice shop with nice clean equipment. He purchased this Mini-Max new and has only used it in his one person custom furniture building business. The vibration in the Tersa head is associated in the area of the outboard bearing. He said this problem developed once before and he replaced the bearings. Over time the vibration started reoccurring and so he just stop using the machine, going to sell it as is. I decided to pass on it. Although it doesn't really appear to be a big problem, I just don't feel that I have the skill level to tear it apart and make the repairs needed. My gut guess is wear on the end of the shaft is causing the vibration but who knows until it is torn down. Again, thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

mreza Salav
03-12-2015, 11:51 PM
I have taken that machine apart to bits and pieces to take to my basement shop. It is not too difficult to do so.
To check the bearings, I'd remove the belt and rotate the head by hand and hear closely, if you hear any noise then the bearings are bad.

Mike Schuch
03-13-2015, 12:25 AM
If it developed the vibration problem, the problem went away with new bearings, then the vibration came back it really sounds like the head is significantly out of balance enough to ruin the bearings. I would factor in the price of a new head into the price of the machine. I would have passed too!

David Kumm
03-13-2015, 8:28 AM
Still a real opportunity for someone. Dave

Peter Kelly
03-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Agreed. $1,300 more or so for a new Byrd head and some bearings still qualifies as a steal. Cutterheads in a J/P aren't that difficult to replace.

A replacement Tersa head might even be less.

Jim Andrew
03-13-2015, 3:10 PM
I agree, it is still a buy. Who knows, might not be the cutterhead. If you are any good at diagnosing mechanical problems, should be a fairly easy fix. If you are not, get someone to look at it who is good with machines. Check the local woodworking club.

Jim Becker
03-13-2015, 4:24 PM
I'm an owner of an FS350. That's a steal...if it's the white/blue version.

Rich Riddle
03-13-2015, 5:15 PM
I'm an owner of an FS350. That's a steal...if it's the white/blue version.

It's a steal no matter what year or version. Mine is the old yellow with a Byrd Shelix and it flawlessly works. Great machines.

Curtis Horswill
03-13-2015, 5:31 PM
Like I said, I would be on my way to get it if it was closer. Some pictures from the sellers ad.

Larry Edgerton
03-13-2015, 8:00 PM
Julian, you are going to regret this decision.

They are simple machines, should be easy to find the problem. I doubt it is a bad head, and the head can be balanced if that is the case. More likely a bearing install issue bad pulley, something simple. Even worst case its still a steal. I would drive halfway across the country to pick that up if I had a need for it at that price.

Larry

julian abram
03-13-2015, 9:51 PM
[QUOTE=Larry Edgerton;2390231]Julian, you are going to regret this decision.

They are simple machines, should be easy to find the problem. I doubt it is a bad head, and the head can be balanced if that is the case. More likely a bearing install issue bad pulley, something simple. Even worst case its still a steal. I would drive halfway across the country to pick that up if I had a need for it at that price.

Larry, I appreciate your thoughts on the machine but "having a need" is one of the factors in my decision. I am just a evening/weekend hobbyist building a little furniture & cabinets for home, family & friends. I know this machine is a bargain even if I ended up with a couple thousand in it after repairs. But I ask myself how much added benefit would this machine give over my small machines given the small volume of work I do. I can understand why this machine is in his shop, he makes his living building custom furniture (and said he pretty much lives in the shop). Not counting the efforts required to transport & repair it, it still seems overkill for my needs even as a bargain.

mreza Salav
03-13-2015, 10:28 PM
I was living in Chicago when a FS350 came up for sale in Vegas for more than twice that money and I bought it and had it shipped to Chicago, and then a year later shipped it to Canada.

Jim Becker
03-15-2015, 10:25 AM
I am just a evening/weekend hobbyist building a little furniture & cabinets for home, family & friends. I know this machine is a bargain even if I ended up with a couple thousand in it after repairs. But I ask myself how much added benefit would this machine give over my small machines given the small volume of work I do.

It's not the volume of work one does that matters. Having those wide surfaces opens up a whole bunch of creative capabilities. I admittedly have built very little in the past five years because of other distractions. But I wouldn't give up my J/P for sure. It was the first of the MiniMax products I bought for my shop.

That said, I can appreciate that perhaps you don't have enough personal motivation to make this buy right now and that's ok. 'Tis a very subjective thing!

David Perry
03-21-2015, 5:07 AM
I resurrected this thread to post a follow up. This FS-350 J/P has found a new home.

I was in the market for a jointer when I came across this thread. After Julian(the op) posted that he was passing on the deal I contacted the seller and arranged to see the machine. My nephew and I drove up from Dallas and checked it out. We ran it for a few minutes and it was definitely noisy and vibrating. I could also see the cutter head shaft actually moving into the inner race of the rear bearing as it came up to speed. At that point I suspected what had happened. I am a novice woodworker but have quite a few years experience with mechanics, machining, and welding. I was quite sure it could be repaired, so we loaded it on the truck. I purchased the mortiser also. After getting it home and disassembling it my suspicions were confirmed. When the original bearing failed it locked up and spun on the shaft. The shaft was worn .022-.027 undersize at the bearing race seat. No way would just a bearing replacement fix it. The fix involved either replacing the cutter head or welding up the worn area and machining it back to the correct dimension. I elected to weld and re-machine. I've since completed the repair. I'll be posting a thread in the metal working forum outlining the steps involved for anyone interested. I need to get a new set of knives, but I'm looking forward to putting it to good use on my next woodworking project. It's a heck of a machine, very well built.

I want to thank Julian for posting the thread and graciously posting when he decided not to pursue it. I would not of followed up on it if I didn't have the experience and machine shop equipment needed to make any needed repairs. In the end I think it worked out for everyone involved. The seller was able to sell a machine to someone 500 miles away who could make the needed repairs and would otherwise never have known it was for sale. I ended up with a machine I would not normally be able to afford, and I hope Julian feels good that he made it happen.

309548The cutter head and shaft before the repair. The dark area to the left of the indicator probe is the worn area.

309547 The first board being run through the planer

In closing would like to think all the posters on this site. I've learned a lot in the few weeks I've been lurking.

Dave

Rich Riddle
03-21-2015, 5:25 AM
Dave,

Congratulations and thanks for buying that machine. I really didn't need two of them and was resisting the urge. You'll love it.

mreza Salav
03-21-2015, 9:15 AM
Good to read this. Move that poor dog away from the shavings rain....

julian abram
03-21-2015, 2:23 PM
David, I can't tell you how pleased I am that you rescued this fine machine. I wrestled the decision around for a several days concerning purchase of this machine. I always came to the conclusion that I would probably have to send it somewhere for repairs and it was more machine than I needed for my projects and space. Knowing it was a bargain and only located 10 miles from my house made it difficult to turn down. The day I went and looked at it, Mark told me someone from this forum in Wisconsin had already called about it. Mark was such a nice fellow I could have spent the afternoon talking woodworking with him. Again, so glad you got it and have the expertise to make the needed repairs, it found the right home that it deserved. We'll be looking forward to your updates.

Jim Becker
03-21-2015, 8:21 PM
Dave, congrats on your new J/P! It's a great machine...I love mine...and it will serve you well over the years.

In case you didn't know, the rubber Fernco soil pipe connectors available at the home center are an exact fit for the 120mm dust collection ports on the FS350 and make adapting 5" hose easy. (You must use dust collection with this tool...it will clog up in a nano-second without it. Not optional)

Steve Wilde
03-21-2015, 11:03 PM
I just came across this on the local SLC classified if anyone is interested.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=33829711&cat=&lpid=8&search=table%20saw&ad_cid=1