PDA

View Full Version : Wenge Rash...

Chris Barton
08-01-2005, 9:28 PM
Hi All,

I started a new bowl late yesterday and didn't get to finish it. It is out of Wenge and is really nothing unusual. This morning I noticed a fine rash over all of my skin that was exposed to the Wenge dust. I have done some research and found that this is not unusual at all and that Wenge is toxic to breath and can't be used for cookware. Has anyone else developed a rash from using it? Mine is very discrete, you can see where the turning sleves stop on my turning smock because that is where the rash begins...

Chris

Kurt Aebi
08-02-2005, 7:50 AM
Chris,

I didn't get the rash, but my eyes watered like I had hay fever for a couple of days after doing a pen from the stuff.

Michael Stafford
08-02-2005, 8:25 AM
First time I have heard of anyone getting a rash from this particular exotic but I am not surprised. I have heard of people breaking out around the lips from yellowheart; sneezing and rashes and worse from cocobolo; throat irritation from bocote; coughing spells from padauk; and all sorts of other ailments from a variety of exotics. It is said that there are two kinds of people- people who are allergic to cocobolo and people who will be.... :(

So far the only wood I have found myself having a reaction to is ebony and that dust when sanding even with protections seems to irritate my throat.

Jim Becker
08-02-2005, 9:05 AM
Different species affect different people...differently. For me, it's Bubinga...'never plan to work with it again. Cocobolo (and other rosewoods) affects some people badly. Walnut can be quite toxic to some folks...my locksmith had to give up woodworking entirely because of it...and he was a carver.