PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard replacement

Lance Mills
03-10-2015, 8:32 PM
Hi All,
As yet I still don't have my Laser working but after trying a couple of 'Engineers' and still not reaching a solution, I've decided to try to replace the Motherboard and get on with it.
My question is, how would I know if the replacement be compatible with my machine? I'm worried that a new motherboard will be programmed differently and incompatible.
I have seen so many for sale on Alibaba that its made me wary. I have tried to contact the Manufacturers to no avail, both through their website and Facebook pages.:confused:
I'm suffering Laser withdrawal!!
Any advice regarding this would be appreciated.
Lance

Rich Harman
03-10-2015, 9:57 PM
On my laser the mainboard connects to the computer via USB and it requires a certain LCD control panel to go along with it.

The mainboard sends step and direction signals to each of the stepper drivers. I think they all work this way so that part should not be a problem. They should all also have inputs for limit switches, water flow and door interlocks - and of course outputs to drive the laser power supply. You will need to be sure that you have the correct LCD control Panel and software to communicate with the new mainboard. Depending on your comfort level with these things it may be an easy task or a daunting one.

Best thing would be to replace with identical model of mainboard. You would then only need to configure for your machine. This is where that configuration file that you saved would come in handy. You did save it when you first got the laser didn't you? :D

Lance Mills
03-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Hi Rich, I bought this machine 2nd hand and at the time the company who originally sold it was still around. This being said, no I don't have any config file, that could by sticky!
What I'm trying to ascertain is the compatibility of the control cards available. There is a company down country who is looking at finding a replacement card, I'm hopeful he knows what is what.
I have tried to contact the manufacturers of my machine but so far they have ignored my emails Grrr!
Thanks for your reply, I'll keep the progress posted.
Lance

Rich Harman
03-10-2015, 11:41 PM
What I'm trying to ascertain is the compatibility of the control cards available.

The point is, if your machine is like the typical Chinese machine, compatibility is not really an issue. Sort of like replacing your computer - you can still use your existing keyboard, monitor, mouse. The mainboard of my laser, and most Chinese lasers I suspect, is the whole brains of the laser. It is not like pulling a card from a computer server where the card is only one part of the computer. You replace the mainboard (and LCD) and you are replacing the entire computing unit of the laser. So really the only thing that you need to worry about compatibility wise is the LCD control panel. The rest of the things that connect to the mainboard are standardized.

I can't say with complete certainty but I strongly suspect that the mainstream lasers are quite different. When an Epilog mainboard is replaced it is likely a very special item that does not stand alone as something that can control a laser. It is a custom piece of electronics. Chinese lasers are built almost Lego style from components that are used by many different manufacturers. I quite like this about them since that makes them easy to work on and to modify. I've already swapped out my mainboard and LCD for a newer model.

If you could take a photo of your mainboard and post it I'm sure someone here could identify it and suggest an appropriate replacement.

Lance Mills
03-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Thankyou, thats the kind of answer I was hoping to hear, I kind of suspected they were generic but couldn't verify. Ok I'll get a photo up and as you say, maybe someone will recognize it. Cheers

Bill George
03-11-2015, 8:04 AM
Thankyou, thats the kind of answer I was hoping to hear, I kind of suspected they were generic but couldn't verify. Ok I'll get a photo up and as you say, maybe someone will recognize it. Cheers
:) If you have a Chinese machine they did not just build a controller just for yours. Are you comfortable with changing some wiring around... maybe? Can you follow directions? Just about any controller might work but your picture will help. New controllers run $300-$400, new updated ones with new LCD control pad may be $100 or so more.

Here is a current Thread >http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?227836-LightObject-Latest-LO-X7-DSP-controller-with-color-LCD-display

Lance Mills
03-12-2015, 2:07 PM
Does anyone recognise this card, I'd love to konw where to buy a replacement
308963 308967

Bill George
03-12-2015, 3:04 PM
Does anyone recognise this card, I'd love to konw where to buy a replacement
308963 308967

Did the control board have a cover? It has all the brand and part numbers you need to order a new one with.

George M. Perzel
03-12-2015, 3:43 PM
Lance;
As Rich and others have stated, many Chinese lasers use the same parts. Here's a pic of an RDL320-A board-same physical layout but some different components. This may be a newer or older version. Does yours have a part number? This one is from an 80 watt Shenhui laser bought about 3 years ago. The board is available from many Chinese suppliers and probably some of the USA distributors who carry Chinese lasers.- about $300 plus shipping from Shenhui but you may also need the LCD panel as Rich mentioned-maybe not.308975
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Rich Harman
03-12-2015, 3:49 PM
I have a board that is 99% identical to that one. Probably just a newer (or older) version. It was what my laser originally came with.

I have since replaced it with the RDLC320-A (EC) and RDLC320-A (Panel). The new mainboard and panel are completely enclosed. The old mainboard had no cover and the old panel had electronics exposed on the bottom side.

Rich Harman
03-12-2015, 3:53 PM
Here's a pic of an RDL320-A board-same physical layout but some different components. .308975

Are you sure that is the RDLC320-A? I have one of those in my hands and it is in a completely enclosed case. Your picture looks like the previous version, RDLC300 maybe.

George M. Perzel
03-12-2015, 4:49 PM
Rich;
I took it out of the case to compare in detail. It is a 320-A (with a bad USB port that blew duringa lighning strike).
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Lance Mills
03-12-2015, 9:23 PM
Thanks Guys, I have conflicting numbers on my card which has confused me somewhat,I have tried to google search and alibaba search these RDL codes but have drawn a blank, any clues? I will try again to contact the manufacturer but after 3 different attempts I'm chasing my tail I think. I'm very grateful for your input with this, Many thanks all.

Rich Harman
03-12-2015, 9:29 PM
If I were you I would just order a new RDL320-A mainboard and control panel set. It is a newer version that what you have now.

Ray Scott
03-15-2015, 4:03 PM
This is a board for RDCam .. You can buy parts directly from many Chinese sources.

becky@jnquanxing.com (becky@jnquanxing.com) Becky at Quan Xing laser
jinqianglaser14@live.cn (jinqianglaser14@live.cn) Lina at Jin Qiang Laser

Make sure to send them pictures of the motherboard.. also tell them any numbers that might be hard to read.

The RDCam software is free.

Lance Mills
03-16-2015, 2:56 AM
Hi Ray, thanks for those contacts, I'll give them a try, cheers