PDA

View Full Version : How Much Power Do I need in a Brad Nailer/Stapler?

Mike Chalmers
03-10-2015, 8:30 PM
I want to have available an air driven nailer stapler that is capable of driving a 1 1/2" brad into wood. Most likely pine, but maybe hardwood as well if the difference in what I need is not too much.

I am looking at a compressor/nailer combo at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/hyundai-hhc2gnk-2-gallon-vertical-style-electric-air-compressor-nail-kit-wi/847890) (Canada)

I really do not have any other use for the compressor. I already have a turbine HVLP sprayer. My issue is that I just have no idea what "100 maximum PSI and 0.4 cfm at 90 psi" really means in tihs application. Does it mean it will be powerful enough to do waht I want?

mark kosse
03-10-2015, 8:37 PM
.4 cfm at 90 means the compressor is about useless, at least for me. Harbor freight has a decent oiled compressor with 5cfm@90 for. Around 100.00 on sale and I've used their 18g brad/stapler that cost 16.00 for years with no problems. You'll be doing lots of stuff with a air compressor once you own one.

Mike Chalmers
03-10-2015, 8:58 PM
.4 cfm at 90 means the compressor is about useless, at least for me. Harbor freight has a decent oiled compressor with 5cfm@90 for. Around 100.00 on sale and I've used their 18g brad/stapler that cost 16.00 for years with no problems. You'll be doing lots of stuff with a air compressor once you own one.

Too bad I live in Canada, so Harbour Freight is not an option for me.

Peter Quinn
03-10-2015, 9:18 PM
Depends on your speed. PSI is the pressure required to fire the nails, most guns need around 70-90, so that little compressor will fire the nails. SCFM's is a measure of how much volume the compressor can produce, each nail takes a certain volume of air, fire lots of nails in a short time period, thats more air required. Maybe the compressor runs more. I used a little compressor like that at my BIL's with a framing nailer that is an air pig, very light framing boxing in a window, it fired the nails but I had to wait for it to catch up a few times and it ran continuously. It did ok when we were tacking a few door stops in place, but when we started stapling the sub floor down it ran continuously and kept not flushing the staples up. I switched to my porter cable pancake, still a small compressor but way bigger than that, maybe 3.5 cfm's, no problem pushing either stapler at any pace and the framer at a moderate pace.

I have and have used a few of the "nailer stapler combo" guns an have found they are not great at either. They work, but can be a bit unpredictable. If your needs are for higher end work, you might consider getting dedicated guns. If you don't mind slamming a few home with a hammer and the lower cost is more important they do work after a fashion.

Art Mann
03-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Just as a benchmark, a 2 cfm @ 100 psi compressor is way over capacity for using a stapler or brad nailer. I have a Porter Cable compressor that I bought many years ago that is that size and it will support two framing nailers running at the same time. I know because I have used it on several Habitat for Humanity houses. A framing nailer requires very little air flow and a stapler or brad nailer even less. It just needs adequate pressure. I worked on one house where anotheer guy was using the cheapest little $39 dollar Harbor Freight compressor installing interior trim and it never skipped a beat and didn't run continuously.

John Sanford
03-11-2015, 12:24 AM
I want to have available an air driven nailer stapler that is capable of driving a 1 1/2" brad into wood. Most likely pine, but maybe hardwood as well if the difference in what I need is not too much.

I am looking at a compressor/nailer combo at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/hyundai-hhc2gnk-2-gallon-vertical-style-electric-air-compressor-nail-kit-wi/847890) (Canada)

I really do not have any other use for the compressor. I already have a turbine HVLP sprayer. My issue is that I just have no idea what "100 maximum PSI and 0.4 cfm at 90 psi" really means in tihs application. Does it mean it will be powerful enough to do waht I want?

That compressor is good for bike tires, basketballs and such. While it probably will sink a 1.5" brad into white pine, I'd be skeptical that it could do so with hard maple. Problem is, you're in Canada. Home Depot frequently has this deal on a Porter-Cable compressor package (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-Compressor-and-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-PCFP12656/203468120) for a less than $200. Obviously, they don't right now.

I'd trust Hyundai for cars, semi-trailers, and supertankers. Not so sure I'd trust them for a compressor. Maybe they're the bomb.

Jim Dwight
03-11-2015, 8:44 AM
A compressor is handy to have an the smallest available will handle a brad nailer as long as it has a tank. The tank is stored energy. Sometimes I use one of my little nailers with just a portable tank. I can drive 50-100 fasteners before having to recharge it.

If you don't want a compressor, you can also get a nailer that doesn't need one. I have a Ryobi brad nailer that will drive 2 inch brads with battery power. It will drive them into hardwoods fine. They also make a stapler that works the same way. Each is around $125.

Cheapest will be to buy the pneumatic tools, however. I wouldn't get a combo unit either. I like Bostitch nailers but my Porter Cable is OK too. Pneumatic nailers are not terribly complicated devices and for basic uses, many brands would be OK.

Jim German
03-11-2015, 8:47 AM
That compressor is good for bike tires, basketballs and such. While it probably will sink a 1.5" brad into white pine, I'd be skeptical that it could do so with hard maple.

100psi is plenty for any nail gun, if it comes from a ingersoll rand, a porter cable or a Hyundai compressor it doesn't matter. CFM is going to dictate how many nails you can fire how quickly. But really brad nailers use a tiny amount of air 0.4 CFM should be plenty. Still, you'll be kicking yourself next year if you decide you want some other air tool because that compressor won't be able to handle much else. Also at that price the compressor may not last very long, and the nail gun is probably not the best.