PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Dog

Rich Riddle
03-10-2015, 8:28 PM
We have three dogs and one that is extremely friendly. He loves people, dogs, cats, rabbits, deer, etc. He gets out from time to time and always brings back some friend he met. Well today, he brought back a new friend to the door, Mr. Skunk. He wasn't squirted and they seemed like best friends, but the friend wasn't allowed in the house. Luckily the other dogs didn't see his new friend.

Mel Fulks
03-10-2015, 8:33 PM
Rich, I would say that is a VERY friendly dog .....by any chance.....did he take the Dale Carnegie course ?

Frederick Skelly
03-10-2015, 8:40 PM
We have three dogs and one that is extremely friendly. He love people, dogs, cats, rabbits, deer, etc. He gets out from time to time and always brings back some friend he met. Well today, he brought back a new friend to the door, Mr. Skunk. He wasn't squirted and they seemed like best friends, but the friend wasn't allowed in the house. Luckily the other dogs didn't see his new friend.

I wonder how the heck he convinced the skunk to follow him home?

Roger Rettenmeier
03-10-2015, 8:43 PM
308802 Many years ago, National Geographic had a series of photos... Polar Bear meets Husky. Your thread reminded me of that.

Ryan Mooney
03-10-2015, 8:44 PM
Wow that's a first!

I have a friend whos dog likes to be sprayed for some unknown reason - I reckon that that's worse.

Rich Riddle
03-10-2015, 9:12 PM
In the summer there is a turtle that sits on the back patio and suns, but he sits right next to Bear (the dog). At times Bear will go out for a stroll and return with several dog friends, mostly females. Never have figured out why he's such a friend magnet. My wife has an expression about him, "everyone loves the Bear." He's not much of a fighter though.

Here is a picture of him in the shop and with his sister. Bear's on the lower step:

308806 308807

ken masoumi
03-10-2015, 9:56 PM
Bear is a lover not a fighter.
Just make sure you have a good supply of tomato juice in the house,just in case.
We have a family of skunks near by,I don't know exactly where their home is all I know is every once in a while my neighbor's cat bothers one of the skunks and we get the benefit of their pungent spray for a whole night .

Ken Platt
03-10-2015, 10:18 PM
That had to be a "Holy cow" moment when you opened up the door and looked down.

I had one of mine get squirted yesterday - I think the skunk was rummaging around in the compost bin, and got tired of Rosie circling and barking, so he cut loose.

Fortunately we got to her right away to bathe her - I've learned the hard way the longer you wait, the worse it is. We just use Dawn detergent, over and over. Took 4 good latherings to get it off.

It's 36 hours later and you can still smell the residue outside from 100 yards. You were lucky.

Ken

John Conklin
03-11-2015, 7:47 AM
We have a rescued bloodhound with the same type of personality. About a month ago she was standing at the back door waiting to be let in from her last potty of the day... with a live possum in her mouth. She was wagging her tail with that 'look what I found' look on her face. My wife told her no and to drop it, so the dog went out in the yard and dropped Mr. Possum with a "plop". Next morning it was gone so we assume it was living up to its name.

Lee Schierer
03-11-2015, 8:48 AM
Bear is a lover not a fighter.
Just make sure you have a good supply of tomato juice in the house,just in case.
We have a family of skunks near by,I don't know exactly where their home is all I know is every once in a while my neighbor's cat bothers one of the skunks and we get the benefit of their pungent spray for a whole night .

I can tell you from personal experience that all tomato juice does is turn the fur on your pet a red color and make the animal and you unhappy. It does nothing to even dilute the odor. The best solution is:
1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
Let sit for five minutes and rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-11-2015, 8:55 AM
I can tell you from personal experience that all tomato juice does is turn the fur on your pet a red color and make the animal and you unhappy. It does nothing to even dilute the odor. The best solution is:
Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
Let sit for five minutes and rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.

I used this in on two of our dachshunds. It worked pretty well, it also works as a hair bleaching agent in red dachshunds which is funny to see.

Steve Peterson
03-11-2015, 12:46 PM
I wonder how the heck he convinced the skunk to follow him home?

Skunks do not appear to be afraid of anything. They seem quite friendly as long as they are not threatened.

Steve

Rich Riddle
03-11-2015, 1:14 PM
Unfortunately the skunk came back to visit Bear. They were touching nose to nose with the fence between them. Bear was wagging his tail. Guess they are new friends, but that's better than the alternative. I don't want to yell at Bear with his new friend to protect him.

Kevin Bourque
03-11-2015, 1:51 PM
I was cutting the grass one day and all of a sudden noticed 3 little skunks and their mother chasing after the tractor. They did this for about 5 minutes then they meandered away.

They only "attack" when they get spooked.

Jim Underwood
03-11-2015, 4:30 PM
Fortunately we got to her right away to bathe her - I've learned the hard way the longer you wait, the worse it is. We just use Dawn detergent, over and over. Took 4 good latherings to get it off.
Ken

Nah. That's just how long it takes your nose to get used to the smell... :D

William C Rogers
03-11-2015, 6:53 PM
In the summer there is a turtle that sits on the back patio and suns, but he sits right next to Bear (the dog). At times Bear will go out for a stroll and return with several dog friends, mostly females. Never have figured out why he's such a friend magnet. My wife has an expression about him, "everyone loves the Bear." He's not much of a fighter though.

Here is a picture of him in the shop and with his sister. Bear's on the lower step:

308806 308807

Don't tell me that is what I have to look forward to! They are brother and sister, still puppies. Sophie is the bigger one (9 pounds) and Rudy is smaller (6 pounds). Rudy can hold his own with his sister.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2015, 7:38 PM
What kinda dog you got there, Rich?

Clarence Martin
03-11-2015, 7:38 PM
Skunks often contract Rabies. Hope that Dog has it's Rabies shots up to date.

Roger Rettenmeier
03-11-2015, 7:48 PM
In case you haven't thought of a name for your new pet skunk, may I suggest Pepe'?

Ed Aumiller
03-11-2015, 8:55 PM
Skunks can CARRY rabies and not get rabies... that is why they are outlawed as pets in most states... we had a descented skunk in the late 70's (before they were outlawed in VA) and it made a great pet except in Feb.. that was mating season... it was litter trained in ONE day..

Steve Peterson
03-12-2015, 1:47 PM

I have had really great results with a product called "Natures Miracle". All the pet/feed stores carry it around here. It is an enzyme that breaks it down. Make sure to get the bottle labeled for skunk spray. Some of their products are for urine or other odors.

The side of our house got sprayed once. I thought it would go away on it's own, but after a week the inside of the house still smelled really bad. We kept the whole house fan on most of the time so we could stay there. The smell was gone completely within an hour of using Natures Miracle.

Steve

Pat Barry
03-12-2015, 2:30 PM
Unfortunately the skunk came back to visit Bear. They were touching nose to nose with the fence between them. Bear was wagging his tail. Guess they are new friends, but that's better than the alternative. I don't want to yell at Bear with his new friend to protect him.
Get a picture, or better yet, post a video on you tube. You could make some money off this friendship! Maybe title it: the continuing adventures of Bear and Pepe!

Chris Padilla
03-12-2015, 4:55 PM
That reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube (perhaps pointed to from here in OT?) about a dog and a deer. I guess once the deer got older, he only visited once a year but has kept it up for several years now.

Rich Riddle
03-12-2015, 5:24 PM
Get a picture, or better yet, post a video on you tube. You could make some money off this friendship! Maybe title it: the continuing adventures of Bear and Pepe!
Mama Bear is disinclined to foster the relationship. She worries they might disagree one day and Bear will be on the short end of the stick. That likely would not happen, but Walter might get annoying and get a squirt.

Curt Harms
03-13-2015, 8:03 AM
Skunks do not appear to be afraid of anything. They seem quite friendly as long as they are not threatened.

Steve

We have a 'community cat' (friendlier fuzzier work for feral) cat that comes around so SWMBO leaves cat food out. One night last fall I opened the patio door without really looking only to find a skunk dining at the cat's dish 3 or 4 feet away. I don't know that I've shut a door faster in my life :p. The skunk just looked and went back to eating cat food. Then a few nights later it brought a friend. That one was marked differently than I've seen. It had real broad white stripes down each side of it's back and a mostly white tail. And they did let fly one night, had to close the windows. The smell was mostly gone by the next morning so it may not have been as close as it smelled. Our only real concern is rabies. We make sure our outdoor cats are all current on their vaccinations. Other than than, we figure their ancestors were here before we were.

A few days before this happened I noticed a patch of lawn next to the neighbors had been dug up. I couldn't figure out what in the world that was about but later I remembered the nieghbor had japanese beetle traps out. I wonder if our then-unknown catfood eating skunks decided to vary their diets with some japanese beetle grubs.