PDA

View Full Version : New to Shop: Grizzly G0513X2 & Grizzly G0490X

Andy Compton
03-10-2015, 7:36 PM
Thanks to Butch - and his 10% off Grizzly Coupon - I was able to buy a new bandsaw and jointer. I hauled them home from Bellingham yesterday and somehow managed to unload them from a UHaul trailer myself - with the help of a dolly. Tonight begins the assembly and degreasing process.

Anybody have a favorite degreaser for getting rid of all that cosmoline?

Jesse Busenitz
03-10-2015, 7:45 PM
Just like Christmas as a kid.That gunk is just a pain to mess with period.....Hope everything goes together right!

Rich Riddle
03-10-2015, 7:47 PM
There is a past thread about it, but kerosene seems the favorite:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?23824-Cosmoline-removing-amp-then-protecting

Robert Payne
03-10-2015, 8:06 PM
Too bad you didn't buy some while you were at the Grizzly store. I purchased some of their spray degreaser that has a citrus base (the word orange appears in the title) and it worked very effectively on my Grizzly tools that I've purchased.

Wade Lippman
03-10-2015, 8:14 PM
you can scrap 95% of it off with an old credit card. After that I use mineral spirits

Mitchell Garnett
03-10-2015, 9:40 PM
I bought a can of the Grizzly spray the last time I bought a tool from them but decided mineral spirits worked better. YMMV.

Butch Spears
03-11-2015, 7:01 AM
Andy, glad that you could use the coupon. cannot wait for pictures when you get everything set up and working. Have Fun setting it up, but be safe AND we want to see pics !!! LOL

Randy Red Bemont
03-11-2015, 8:08 AM
Mineral spirits worked well for me also. You will love that jointer. I have the same one and it's awesome!

Red

glenn bradley
03-11-2015, 8:28 AM
I take most of it off with rags or paper towels sprayed with mineral spirit from an old Windex bottle. Then spray, brush and blow the remaining out of the nooks and crannies. For the jointer head I raised the tables to clear the cutters, taped cardboard over the opening and fired the machine up. I then removed the leftovers with the spray and brush technique above. Underside of the tables at the mouth were the most troublesome on the jointer. Wasn't bad at all; just change paper towels frequently so you don't return goo to the surfaces while trying to clean. Took about a 1/3 or a roll for my planer.

Marty Tippin
03-11-2015, 10:03 AM
The infeed roller, outfeed roller and cutter heads on my G0490X where absolutely caked in that cosmoline stuff - and that was after I bought it used from the original owner. He apparently didn't bother cleaning the inside of the machine.

I had to get a wire brush and work over the rollers, plus a lot of mineral spirits and paper towels (and a gloved hand) for the cutter head.

Mike Goetzke
03-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Hey - I have those two machines! My BS tracking was off out of the box but I found an extra washer applied and once removed it's been flawless. For the planer I couldn't for the life of me get the tables to line up - not enough travel in the adjusters. I ended up re-thinking what was going on and ended up aligning the tables first and then removed the head and shimmed it to be aligned to the tables. This is actually the method they should put in the instructions (or they should just align them better at the factory). I've used both machines for the past 4-5 years w/o any complaints - you will enjoy both machines.

I also used mineral spirits plus tried cleaning the planer in the crate as much as I could.

Mike

richard poitras
03-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Lacquer thinner .....

Prashun Patel
03-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Dry paper towels, then mineral spirits.

I have the G0513X2. Welcome to the club. Nice saw. Now time to make a Mike Heffernan mobile base for it.

Andy Compton
03-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I was able to uncrate the jointer base, remount the motor, uncrate the bandsaw, put it on a mobile base, and clean/install the bandsaw table. I used the "old credit card + mineral spirits" approach and it worked great! Once it's all set up - and I've taken a few minutes to clean things up I'll post some pictures. Thanks again for your insights!

David Helm
03-11-2015, 7:10 PM
Industrial, heavy duty, Orange Power. Worked very well for me, and since I live in Bellingham, easy to come by. The Grizzly guys call me by name.

William A Johnston
03-11-2015, 8:10 PM
You will definitely like the jointer. I purchased the same one last Sept. I think I got most of the cosmoline off with a plastic putty knife and some simple green.

David C. Roseman
03-11-2015, 10:30 PM
[snip]I hauled them home from Bellingham yesterday and somehow managed to unload them from a UHaul trailer myself - with the help of a dolly.[snip]

Andy, from this I'm guessing you're around 6' 3", 270 lbs. :eek:

Congratulations on the new equipment.

Andy Compton
03-11-2015, 10:38 PM
6'4", 280lb... You were WAY off...