PDA

View Full Version : Paint Type on Stationary Tools

Rich Riddle
03-10-2015, 6:00 PM
Do any of you know what type of paint is used on stationary tools? I am betting it's not latex and am wondering if they come with an acrylic or oil-based paint from the factory.

Brian Henderson
03-10-2015, 6:14 PM
I would think that virtually all tools are electrostatically painted.

Rich Riddle
03-10-2015, 6:15 PM
I would think that virtually all tools are electrostatically painted.
With what type of paint? I am not searching for the method but the type of paint.

Mort Stevens
03-10-2015, 7:12 PM
Lacquer or epoxy, depends on year/manufacture.

Art Mann
03-10-2015, 7:16 PM
I believe a lot of Grizzly tools are powder coated. Older tools were painted with oil based enamel and that is what I would use if I were reconditioning a stationary tool.

Myk Rian
03-10-2015, 7:49 PM
Almost anything but latex.

Bruce Wrenn
03-10-2015, 8:43 PM
New stuff, powder coated. Older stuff, oil base, baked on. Sometimes with hardener added

Brian Henderson
03-10-2015, 8:48 PM
With what type of paint? I am not searching for the method but the type of paint.

That is the kind of paint, it's a powdered paint that is electrostatically charged to stick to the metal, then baked on for a permanent finish. It isn't something you can just go buy at the local home center.

Kent A Bathurst
03-10-2015, 9:03 PM
Do any of you know what type of paint is used on stationary tools? I am betting it's not latex and am wondering if they come with an acrylic or oil-based paint from the factory.

Rich - if you are looking to repaint or touch-up, go to OWWM and rummage around. THose guys do that all the time - they have a number of methods, including some rattle-can flavors.

Rich Riddle
03-10-2015, 9:26 PM
Rich - if you are looking to repaint or touch-up, go to OWWM and rummage around. THose guys do that all the time - they have a number of methods, including some rattle-can flavors.

I have belonged there longer than here and just forgot about them. It is an OWWM being repainted. Fits their definition of acceptable tools because it's European.

Kent A Bathurst
03-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Fits there definition of acceptable tools....

And they never argue about SS or BU/BD. :p :p

Rich Riddle
03-10-2015, 10:57 PM
And they never argue about SS or BU/BD. :p :p

Not sure what BU/BD is, sorry.

Kent A Bathurst
03-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Bevel up v bevel down handplanes.......................

Ole Anderson
03-11-2015, 9:48 AM
A water based paint is the last thing you want on steel or CI. Water borne is another matter, but not as readily available. There is some pretty good rattle can stuff out there, Rustoleum's Universal Hammered comes to mind available at the BORG. I've used on my Jeep and it really holds up and looks great. If you want to brush and match a color, look for oil based alkyd enamel as it can be pigmented.

Greg Hines, MD
03-11-2015, 10:03 AM
That is the kind of paint, it's a powdered paint that is electrostatically charged to stick to the metal, then baked on for a permanent finish. It isn't something you can just go buy at the local home center.

This is called Powder Coating. It is a melted on finish that you will find on many industrial applications. A buddy of mine powder coats his bullets.

Doc

Rick Alexander
03-11-2015, 2:36 PM
Ole and others are on to something. I sprayed an old Grizzly shaper with that Rustoleum's Hammered paint last year. Lowes even had a color pretty decently close to the right color for Grizzly. Worked and looked great and seems to be holding up very well.

Myk Rian
03-11-2015, 3:18 PM
Here's what rattle can hammered bronze looks like. This is my RAS.

Kent A Bathurst
03-11-2015, 3:53 PM
Here's what rattle can hammered bronze looks like. This is my RAS.

Looks good, Myk..........

Mike Schuch
03-11-2015, 4:21 PM
I am also a big fan of Rustoleum hammered finish paint. It holds onto metal very well. Before Rustoleum came out with their hammered finish paint I use Hammerlite which is very similar.

Brian Henderson
03-11-2015, 5:12 PM
I am also a big fan of Rustoleum hammered finish paint. It holds onto metal very well. Before Rustoleum came out with their hammered finish paint I use Hammerlite which is very similar.

Agreed. I'm painting a project right now with Rustoleum Metallic and it looks great and stands up very well.

Myk Rian
03-11-2015, 6:03 PM
Rustoleum bought Hammerlite.

Mike Schuch
03-11-2015, 6:34 PM
Rustoleum bought Hammerlite.

They are both owned by the same parent company... ICI Plc. But Hammerlite is still its own brand. In use and in longevity the two paints are incredibly similar though.

Garth Almgren
03-11-2015, 6:53 PM
Also a fan of the hammered look. When I put a York air compressor in my Jeep years ago I painted it with grey hammered Rustoleum. It still looks great aside from being a little dusty.

Lee Reep
03-11-2015, 7:28 PM
I was involved in a project where our company had to build some custom sheet metal enclosures and custom paint to match cabinets built many years ago. The sheet metal house we used had what seemed to be an endless offering of colors to choose from. Google "custom powder coating colors" to see just how much is available. Maybe a bit much to try at home, but it can be done, and certainly sent out to a specialty house if you just have to have a color match or closely match a factory color.

Me? So far I've just picked a nice color from the Rustoleum line of hammered finishes. :)