PDA

View Full Version : Paper backing for veneer - Yorkite?

Timothy Horner
03-10-2015, 3:27 PM
I am a small marquetry shop, and I am seeking advice from any who have experience with applying paper backing to veneer. When I use fragile burls, or need to crosscut things that are very thin on a table saw, or glue things that have unpredictable expansion characteristics, I often glue them to more stable veneers before cutting out the marquetry and assembling. I dont ordinarily use paper backed veneer, I think it is a weak link in the chain of laminations, and therefore a liability, but using twice as much veneer is not cost effective for some projects, so I am considering using something like whats applied to a lot of commercial veneers, or for joining large sheets. I believe whats used for that is something that used to be called 'yorkite', a vulcanized paper that is pretty durable. There are similar things marketed now, but its expensive to ship a full roll. Id appreciate any advice from anyone who has used a vulcanized paper for veneer backing, and any notions about its longevity as a permanent layer between a veneer and birch ply substrate. Supplier in the NW USA? Thanks...

Tony Joyce
03-10-2015, 6:40 PM
Can't help on the paper, but I can point you to good link at Patrick Edwards blog on this subject.

http://wpatrickedwards.blogspot.com/2015/01/sometimes-made-in-america-just-doesnt.html

Tony

Kevin Jenness
03-10-2015, 9:20 PM
We have used a product called Gatorply for backing panels with paperback veneers on the face. I am not convinced of its validity for that application, but you might find it suitable as a crossband. t is a dark brown color about .016" thick. I believe it is a phenolic impregnated paper similar to Yorkite. I think we got it from Atlantic Plywood in various size sheets from 4x8 to 5x12. I have no reason to doubt its longevity if glued properly.

I have seen several failures with paperbacked veneer that I suspect were due to a poor bond between the veneer and its paper backing? My understanding is that it is typically manufactured using a heat activated adhesive film that is laminated to a paper backing at a temperature and pressure less than that needed to effect a complete activation, and the complete cure is supposed to occur when the paper is laminated to the face veneer. If so, the bond is a two step process depending on the secondary pressing conditions fo success. Can you comment on this issue?