PDA

View Full Version : Need help recreating a logo...

Tim Neal
03-10-2015, 2:17 PM
I have a restoration project for a wood championship plaque that was made over 40 years ago. It's the kind of plaque where one would add the current champions name each year. It has dent, holes, and scratches that I have the skills to repair. Once repaired, it will get a new coat of black paint.

I'm looking for input on how I might go about recreating a gold and red logo that will be applied to a black painted wood plaque. The clients did not have the original artwork, so I'll be recreating it in CorelDraw...that part is not the problem. Since I don't have any experience with applying colored logos to plaques I thought I'd ask for input here. My thoughts were that I could use either inkjet water slide decal paper, or laser foil for creating the logo. Seems like either method could be used with the pre-finished wooden plaque. I would just need to apply a clear coat as the final protective finish. The tricky part might be applying the red lettering over the gold background. I included an image of the current logo below.

The original logo looked like to might have been silkscreened on, but I'm not sure. It cannot survive the repair process for the wood plaque, so it has to be replaced. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What I have to work with is a complete woodworking shop, and a 50 watt 24" x 18" laser engraver. Thank you.

-Tim

Dan Hintz
03-10-2015, 3:54 PM
This seems like the perfect time to apply some gold leaf and really make it shine. Laser cut a stencil, spray on the sizing, and hit it with a few panels of gold (do the red part first, mind you).

Chris DeGerolamo
03-10-2015, 4:18 PM
Mask piece> engrave all red and gold areas>paint all of it gold and let dry. Mask piece> etch letters only design>paintfill. Rattle can paint is going to be your friend on this, IMO.

By including the red content in the with the gold paint, you would eliminate any registration errors once you re-laser.

(I hope my gibberish is clear.)

Scott Marquez
03-10-2015, 4:33 PM
Use your machine to cut that out after you use another process to reduce the thickness of the material from the backside. It will keep it original.
Scott

Mike Null
03-11-2015, 7:55 AM
You may be able to use gold foil on the black then use red foil. The foil can be engraved or vector cut.

Or you could make a stencil as others have suggested then use gold paint. Then use the red foil on the painted surface.

An easier method might be to use black coated brass and laser engrave the gold items then use red foil.