PDA

View Full Version : Rout before or after laminating router table top

Stuart Welsh
03-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm building an extension for my TS that will house a Porter Cable 75182 mounted in a Woodpecker PRL-V2 lift. I've completed the extension and am ready to laminate the top. I'm curious as to what is the best order to follow:

Laminate the top before routing the recess for the lift or…Rout the recess then laminate and follow up with a trim of the laminate to the recess?

My initial thought was to laminate first and then rout the recess but I was just told by a Woodpecker rep to rout then laminate. That seems counterintuitive. I'm concerned that the bit will grab at the loose laminate suspended over the recess and cause cracking. In addition if I rout the recess to the right depth for the lift plate and then laminate I have just now made the lift sit too low in the hole.

Opinions?

Bill McNiel
03-10-2015, 8:46 PM
Everyone has their own opinion on this but I subscribe to the laminate first and then rout. It has always worked for me. There was a thread on this not long ago.

Phil Barrett
03-11-2015, 10:04 AM
I just finished a router table top. Laminated first and then routed. I used a forstner bit to drill the first hole. Both drilling and routing were clean with no tear out. However, if you are going to drill small holes, only use a forstner. The brad point ones tear nasty chunks out of the laminate. don't ask me how I know this...

Steve Wurster
03-11-2015, 10:39 AM
I think when I made mine (standalone table) I routed the hole first and then laminated. I seem to remember drilling a hole into the middle of the laminate (i.e. over the opening) and then routing out from there and around the opening. I did not have any problems with cracking.

Regarding the height, the plate is adjustable. I have the same lift.