PDA

View Full Version : Why pay full price when you can pay double?

Malcolm Schweizer
03-10-2015, 9:16 AM
Another "rare" and "collectible" Lie Nielsen saw on the bay for twice the price of a new one. I guess I need to go to LN and buy their entire stock and resell them.

Chris Hachet
03-10-2015, 9:20 AM
I love the Lie Nielson tools I have-Dovetail saw, chisels, and rabbiting block plane....

But I do not understand the cult around L-N tools.

glenn bradley
03-10-2015, 9:21 AM
If people are still falling for the Nigerian Prince emails, they will still fall for this. The same sort of people are behind it. The same sort of people sustain it. You can't fix them. Just shake you head and move on :).

Jim Davis
03-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Related to saws, a seller that goes by "MayFair" on the bay offers a Nicholson xx slim taper file for $27. I looked up the upc and found it available in several places for abut $5.

I wish a pox on all such sellers because it is not the human nature of buyers to beware. Now if Bill Gates pays too much, I don't really care....

Phillip West
03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Supply and demand I suppose..GB axes have been in short supply this year..I watched an axe that retails for $139 sell for $188 the other day..I see veritas and LN tools used sell for 95%+ of their retail price on ebay all the time. Several times Ive seen them sell for retail price and even a bit above..

Chris Hachet
03-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Supply and demand I suppose..GB axes have been in short supply this year..I watched an axe that retails for $139 sell for $188 the other day..I see veritas and LN tools used sell for 95%+ of their retail price on ebay all the time. Several times Ive seen them sell for retail price and even a bit above..

I think the same thing will happen with them that happened with Harley Davidson motorcycles. Supply will meet demand, prices will drop. Which is why I think riding a Bike or using a tool are it's best real world value. Some day you will be dead and yolur chance to enjoy siad item will be gone. Carpe Diem, sieze the day, I say.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I see veritas and LN tools used sell for 95%+ of their retail price on ebay all the time. Several times Ive seen them sell for retail price and even a bit above..

This happens often when purchased by someone in a country with a high import duty on new items but not on used.

jtk

Doug Ladendorf
03-10-2015, 12:12 PM

I had nearly the same comment in another thread. I have seen several small forest axes go for $100 more than you can get them at LV and several other retailers. Most of that was bidding sadly. Can't say I feel bad for the buyers, but I get a bit ticked off that they can't do even the minimum research to find out what the going price is for an item.

Jim Davis
03-10-2015, 1:15 PM
The population is so huge, that when we shriek a warning as loudly as we can, of the people who need to know, only a tiny fraction will hear us, even with the internet. It's like shouting "There is no fire!" to a mob that is already trampling each other in its rush toward the exits.

Tom Vanzant
03-10-2015, 1:58 PM
For some folks, the words "rare", "custom"....is all it takes to trigger a bidding war. I saw a plane listed as a custom Stanley 5 1/2 go for $385. I had questioned the seller earlier and he confirmed it was really a No.7 with the tail bobbed.

Maurice Ungaro
03-10-2015, 2:03 PM
A fool and his money never shoulda got together in the first place.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-10-2015, 3:08 PM
For some folks, the words "rare", "custom"....is all it takes to trigger a bidding war. I saw a plane listed as a custom Stanley 5 1/2 go for $385. I had questioned the seller earlier and he confirmed it was really a No.7 with the tail bobbed.

HA!!!! I saw that plane! I did not know it went for that much.

Paolo Trevisan
03-10-2015, 4:00 PM
just emailed the seller... this should be good...
lol

Malcolm Schweizer
03-10-2015, 4:30 PM
just emailed the seller... this should be good...
lol

Please keep us posted.

Paul Sidener
03-10-2015, 4:49 PM

A lot of times those are bought by someone in a country with a VAT tax. buy it off of ebay and they save 15%.

That will probably go to a collector. A short cross cut tenon saw with finer teeth. I don't need one, but hey. Some people think they won the lottery, like this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1882-Duluth-PATENTED-Poirier-Pack-STRAP-Sack-BWCA-Hiking-Backpack-Made-in-USA-/121237199303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3a4cd9c7

Phillip West
03-10-2015, 6:01 PM
A lot of times those are bought by someone in a country with a VAT tax. buy it off of ebay and they save 15%.

That will probably go to a collector. A short cross cut tenon saw with finer teeth. I don't need one, but hey. Some people think they won the lottery, like this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1882-Duluth-PATENTED-Poirier-Pack-STRAP-Sack-BWCA-Hiking-Backpack-Made-in-USA-/121237199303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3a4cd9c7
WOW, just WOW!.............Anyway another market that has fallen victem to collectors fever is blacksmith tools..A decent anvil is outrageous on ebay now..Hammers like old champions may as well be gold plated..Dont get me wrong, if a feller' has the money and wants it bad enough he can have(no hard feelings on my part) it but too much of that and it gets hard for the users to purchase anything..I saw one seller that would routinely list a still made small swage block as vintage and antique..They about $140 new at two different places, he was selling them as collectors items for upwards of $300 for a while. if people only took maybe 30 minutes to research these large purchases it might save them a ton of cash.

Brian Henderson
03-10-2015, 6:17 PM
I love the Lie Nielson tools I have-Dovetail saw, chisels, and rabbiting block plane....

But I do not understand the cult around L-N tools.

I don't understand the cult around a lot of tool manufacturers, buy holy moley, there are a lot of cult members on forums like this one.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-10-2015, 6:36 PM
I don't understand the cult around a lot of tool manufacturers, buy holy moley, there are a lot of cult members on forums like this one.

I used to say that until I got my first LN plane. Then I saw the difference. I am not a "cult member," but I do contribute to their church frequently!

That said, I buy only for the sake of using them and not due to status or some perceived collectible value.

Roger Rettenmeier
03-10-2015, 6:55 PM
$48,000? For that? With the damage in the fourth photo, and the overall use and wear, I would go $40,000, tops.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-10-2015, 7:20 PM
$48,000? For that? With the damage in the fourth photo, and the overall use and wear, I would go $40,000, tops.

Check his other items. He seems to believe his stuff is worth a lot.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2015, 8:10 PM
Check his other items. He seems to believe his stuff is worth a lot.

Kind of like the guy selling pencils on the street. His sign said pencils, $1,000,000 each. Someone commented about his pencils might sell better if he had a lower price. His response was, "I only have to sell one."

jtk

Chris Hachet
03-10-2015, 8:59 PM
I used to say that until I got my first LN plane. Then I saw the difference. I am not a "cult member," but I do contribute to their church frequently!

That said, I buy only for the sake of using them and not due to status or some perceived collectible value.

The whole buy it to use it thing I understand deeply....