PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a problem need help

Trey Isbell
03-10-2015, 8:14 AM
I built a walnut countertop last week and put a coat of Cabot spar varnish on it. I did not realize that spar varnish was a soft finish and was made for flexibility so I sanded down the finish and put polyurethane on it and it did not stick to it very well. What can I put on these tops that will stick to spar varnish. I'm to the point that I'm not worried about the hardness. Do I need to just put spar varnish back on them and be done with it. Thanks for any help.

glenn bradley
03-10-2015, 9:19 AM
If the spar is stripped off I see no problem with applying an oil based poly but, you say it "did not stick". Can you elaborate? If I ever have questions about one finish playing well with another (or the remnants thereof) I apply a coat of dewaxed shellac between them. Shellac is like aspirin for finishes; the miracle drug. It sticks to almost everything and almost everything sticks to it. My concern is to the type of counter top this is role-wise. Is it a breakfast bar that will see a lot of wear and tear or is it a surface that will hold appliances and a bread box in a more static role?

Trey Isbell
03-10-2015, 9:46 AM
It crackled in some places and the poly kind of peeled. So if I put a coat of shellac I should be fine. I have them sanded back down but I'm sure the oil in the spar varnish is still in the wood.

Prashun Patel
03-10-2015, 10:03 AM
There's no problem with Spar varnish. I've finished a few desks in Cabot spar - in fact, my office desk I'm typing at right now has been finished in Cabot Spar. It's fine. Given that you started with it, I'd continue.

But, you do need to get rid of any places it 'peeled'. If you've sanded well, just go on with the Cabot spar.

The only caveat is if you plan to build up the film fairly thick. Then the softness of the spar may be an issue for you.

Trey Isbell
03-10-2015, 1:51 PM
How well does the Cabot spar varnish hold up.

Prashun Patel
03-10-2015, 2:50 PM
It holds up just fine for my desk.

John TenEyck
03-10-2015, 3:45 PM
I think Glenn asked the question that should be answered before deciding what finish is best. How will the counter top be used? If you plan to cut directly on it, no film finish will work for long, and you would be far better off with the common mineral oil/wax impregnation approach. If it's just going to hold appliances or be used as a breakfast bar, for example, then any of the typical table top finishes would work just fine.

John

Trey Isbell
03-10-2015, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll go with the spar varnish and just recoat it if I have problems. It's a kitchen countertop but its not used for cutting just as a countertop.