PDA

View Full Version : Runs on Waterlox 89/88 on vertical surfaces, Help!

Larry Edgerton
03-09-2015, 6:10 PM
I am building some furniture and using Waterlox XL89 clear for a couple of coats and a finish coat of XL88 satin at the customers request. I have never used this product before and am pretty sure I never will again. I can't get it to have a full coat and not run on vertical surfaces. I have tried everything in my arsenal. I have tried all four guns with different tips, straight out of the can, thinned 5% and 10%, and I cant get it. I have never had this problem, but then it is not a type of finish I normally use. It does have a couple of coats of Zissner sanding sealer under. By the time I get an even coat, it runs. Might be great for a floor, but I hate this stuff!

I am losing money on this job as I just screwed up the fourth "Final coat". Help me get this thing out of my shop!

Frusterated.......Larry

John TenEyck
03-09-2015, 6:44 PM
Wipe it on. Thin it if necessary.

Spraying it must be making one heck of a mess with the over spray.

John

Larry Edgerton
03-09-2015, 8:32 PM
I think I have it. I did a test with 10% Lacquer thinner. It atomized much better and on the test piece I sprayed, no runs as I could get a good thin coat.

John, this is not the original formula Waterlox. But thanks!

Larry

Howard Acheson
03-11-2015, 9:53 AM
In my experience, Waterlox does not spray well. It is very common to run on vertical surfaces. As already suggested, I find it works best to wipe it on.

glenn bradley
03-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Glad you got it solved Larry. I wouldn't give up on Waterlox, I just wouldn't spray it.

Prashun Patel
03-11-2015, 10:28 AM
This is not the Waterlox phenolic varnish; it's the urethane product. I'm not sure the same rules apply to both. It may not be pre-thinned for wiping or spraying.

Larry Edgerton
03-12-2015, 6:53 AM
This is not the Waterlox phenolic varnish; it's the urethane product. I'm not sure the same rules apply to both. It may not be pre-thinned for wiping or spraying.

Correct.

I was able to thin it a bit even though the instructions say not to. I tried paint thinner first, but it did not help. I did a test sample with the lacquer thinner and it allowed me to do a thinner coat and seemed to have no adverse effects on the finish.