PDA

View Full Version : Slicing Bitmaps/Jpegs

George M. Perzel
08-01-2005, 5:40 PM
Hi All;
Does anyone know how to cut a bitmap or jpeg in pieces in Corel so that they can be tiled? For example- if I have a bitmap which is 6" x12"- can I cut it into 6 pieces , each 4 " x4"/ Thanks
George

Shaddy Dedmore
08-01-2005, 5:53 PM
I tried doing something in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14086), not sure it's the easiet way though... I'm sure you'll hear some more, but this might be a place to start.

Shaddy

James Stokes
08-01-2005, 6:17 PM
I do not know how to do it in corel, But if you have Photoimpact you can do a partial open, setting each piece the size you want. Photoimpact is only $89.00

Mike Mackenzie
08-01-2005, 6:51 PM
George,

This is how we do it in corel.

first turn on the GRIDS and have the snap to grid selected. You will find this under Grid and guideline setup.
In this same section set the grids to the size you want to break up the graphic. A trick is to set the size of the grid slightly larger than the pc you are engraving. example a 4x4 set the grids to 4.05 x 4.05 this will allow the graphic to engrave across the entire tile.

Next import your bitmap

next with the snap to grid turned on use the rectangle tool and draw a square into the first section of the grid over the bitmap.

Now copy and paste it into another Corel page.

You will only have that particular section then continue until you have each pc copy and pasted. Once you have the first tile in the new page just create a second layer and copy the second tile into that layer so you don't have to save 10 different files You could have 10 layers in one corel file.

Engrave away

Bruce Volden
08-01-2005, 7:00 PM
George,

I've had to engrave 12" x 12" granite tiles to be inset into a stores lobby. The word "WELCOME" was to be 5' wide and in a script. I used CorelDraw and drew up the appropriate number of squares representing the tile and "grouped" them. Next I typed out WELCOME and enlarged it to size required, centered, etc. I then oriented the "drawing" in the upper left hand of my machines table on the monitor. Then I turned all the "tiles" to a color my laser won't engrave (white).
Also I was in the wire frame mode (my favorite).
Then using the "nudge" feature I just moved things around til everything was engraved. I nudged everything 12". I don't quite understand your requirements but one could also account for tile spacing, grout lines etc...by entering another value into "nudge". This worked for me but I know there is other ways, Corel is powerful~~~my mind is weak!!! Bruce

Glen Peters
08-01-2005, 9:50 PM
Epiloglaser.com has a tutorial on their web site about doing tile printing with CorelDraw. Check under Technical Support their Tech Library section. I believe it is the first article.

Glen

Aaron Koehl
08-02-2005, 9:36 AM
Bruce,

Do you have any pictures of this? I'd like to see how it turned out.

Bruce Volden
08-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Aaron, sorry I never took a single pic. It was really nice granite, blue pearl, spendy stuff. I often regret not taking pics of a lot of things I've done, from gunstocks to cabinet glass. But thats all right, I have a mind like a steel trap........rusty. Bruce

Alina Roata
08-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi George,

I find it easier to use the Graph Paper Tool. Just insert one in your Corel file, set the number and sizes of the "tiles" and insert the picture in it using the Power Clip feature.
After you finished positioning the image as you need it, just ungroup the Graph and engrave each tile separatelly.
Alina

George M. Perzel
08-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi All;
Thanks for all the tips and advice-tried them all and think Alins's method is the easiest and quickest for tiling. However, it uses symmetrical squares (graph paper)-how can I use it to cut a 12 x12 bitmap into 3 equal 4 x12 slices? I was able to do this crudely by dividing the image into 3 equal rectangles, positioning the image so that the rectangle I wanted to print was positioned at the origin and covering the other two with white filled rectangles so they wouldn't print-kinda like masking them with sheets of paper.
Thanks
George

George M. Perzel
08-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi All;
Figured it out using Alina's method- just set the graph paper tool to 3 x1- cool! Thanks Alina
george

Alina Roata
08-02-2005, 1:08 PM
Hi George,

I am glad you figured it out. It saves time and nerves and it's easy.
I am happy I could help you.

Alina

Mike Mackenzie
08-02-2005, 6:54 PM
George,

I made a mistake with my post we use corel photo paint to copy and paste into corel. I just wanted to clear that up for anyone else reading this.

Shaddy Dedmore
08-02-2005, 8:25 PM
How do you compensate for the grout or bevel widths using this method? Just wondering, looks like a good way.

Shaddy

Alina Roata
08-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi Shaddy,

I must say that I never used the method for lasering tiles, I used it in offset printing, so I can only tell you what I would do.

It doesn't have to be necessarily a Paper graph, it can be a set of different shapes with different sizes. Paper graph works for an array of identical shapes.

If I know that my tile is 12" wide by 12" high and the bevel+grout is... what? say .25"? then I would make a set of squares and rectangles (12"x12" followed by .25"x12" and so on), align them at the top, group them and then insert the image through power clip.
Next step would be to ungroup the shapes and delete the rectangles (.25"x12").
What I have left is now is just the image that goes on the tiles.
You can choose to ignore the grout, and in this case you have the whole image sliced and separated by grout.
I attached some images, maybe they explain better.

Alina